Archer: Jerry Jones confident in Cowboys' running back situation

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones confident in Cowboys' running back situation
3:19 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Now that Ezekiel Elliott to the Dallas Cowboys has become a thing, at least among those in the media (hand raised), let’s not forget that Darren McFadden ran for 1,089 yards in 2015.

He did it mostly over the course of the final 11 games. In the first five games he had a total of 129 yards rushing as Joseph Randle’s backup before putting up five 100-yard games and two more 90-yard games in the final 11 games of the season.

Running back was a need for the Cowboys last year after losing DeMarco Murray, and it is a need this year as well.

But how pressing of a need?

“While I know we were all concerned by not having Murray, when we got down to kickoff last year and went to training camp, I think that -- apart from not winning the kinds of games we wanted to win -- we addressed the running back situation a lot more satisfactory than most people thought we had,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said last week at the NFL scouting combine. “We’ll do that again, and I feel good about that. I feel better about our ability to get feeling good about running back than I do about some of the challenges that we’ve got on defense right now. I don’t know. I can actually see ways and options at the running back thing to get us in good shape that I don’t actually see ways and have the name in place for the spot relative to the defense.”

McFadden turns 29 in August and his health is always an issue, even if he has gone two straight seasons without missing a game. Rod Smith did not carry the ball in a game last year for the Cowboys. Lance Dunbar is a free agent and coming back from major knee surgery, so he’s not a sure thing to return. Robert Turbin is also a free agent. Ben Malena ended the season on the practice squad.

At some point, the Cowboys have to do something at running back. Of course, that was the thought last year, too.

“I think that we really were surprised that we didn’t have the younger back coming out of the draft last year,” Jones said, later adding, “We can play with what we are. But we’ll try to get better there through, odds on, maybe a situation like that. There’ll be some veteran free agents out here that probably deserve a look.”

The seemingly casual approach to adding running back help has to do with the quantity of backs that will be available either in free agency or the draft, as well as the Cowboys’ top-notch offensive line.

“We’ve got a good offense,” Jones said. “(If) we get the balance we need with (Tony) Romo getting our receivers in shape, we’ve got a chance to do that. Then I think between what we’ve got on offense and what we have in personnel, what we’re trying to do at running back -- all of that makes me feel better than I do with defense. (The) bigger challenge (is) on defense, to help it.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
1,089 yards from our primary RB is embarrassing.

Dallas' main back should be threatening 2000 yards every year.

We wasted this OL in 2015, no doubt about it.

Taking shortcuts at RB is a symptom of how total losers think.

When I think of the awesome RB tradition of the Dallas Cowboys, Darren McFadden is not in my train of thought

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would feel so less anxious if he would just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

We already know this draft and off season is going to suck donkey balls, we don't need him giving sneak previews of how inept it will be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair he didn't say he was doing nothing about RB. Just sounds like he has a plan for the position that he is confident he can carry out in the offseason.

You guys didn't really think we would draft Elliot did you?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He basically says it will be easier to fix RB than the defense, which is accurate.

We don't need to spend big money on a free agent or draft Elliott at 4 to have a strong running game. Matt Forte or Lamar Miller in free agency or drafting an Alex Collins/Jordan Howard/Paul Perkins/Kenneth Dixon in the 3rd or 4th would be more than fine.

Then draft Dalvin Cook, Fournette, McCaffery, Perine, Chubb or someone along those lines next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
To be fair he didn't say he was doing nothing about RB. Just sounds like he has a plan for the position that he is confident he can carry out in the offseason.

You guys didn't really think we would draft Elliot did you?
That would take foresight and balls.

I am more frustrated by our "it's okay" attitude.

McFadden sucks, I don't give a shit about his season last year. Hambrick nearly did that with less blocking for him.

It is just this arrogant attitude that the line solves all and any slob can run behind it.

Well, they can. But just not to the degree we need to allow the run game to be our identity again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He basically says it will be easier to fix RB than the defense, which is accurate.

We don't need to spend big money on a free agent or draft Elliott at 4 to have a strong running game. Matt Forte or Lamar Miller in free agency or drafting an Alex Collins/Jordan Howard/Paul Perkins/Kenneth Dixon in the 3rd or 4th would be more than fine.
I have the feeling that Jones is aiming much much lower than you are figuring.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Probably, and obviously I know he's an idiot, but standing on its own I don't think it's wrong to be kind of laid back about fixing the RB situation and more worried about adding to the defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there are probably a few free agent rbs that Jerry already has in mind. I'm just not sure which ones. I doubt it is the top guy like Doug Martin. I just wonder how bottom of the barrel we are looking. Chris Ivory for example? Is that too rich for his blood? LeGarrette Blount?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What's the point in saying you can't believe a thing Jones says then when he says something getting all worked up over what he said? :shrug

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
It's not like this offense features the run anyway. 2014 was a product of need, they wanted to limit danger to Tony and his freshly fish-gutted back. Now that he is "healthy" and we have 4-5 more years out of him, we'll be back to 300 or so total RB carries among 3-4 backs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well, they can. But just not to the degree we need to allow the run game to be our identity again.
It's like they don't get the franchise' own history.

Every great season culminating in a Superbowl victory in franchise history was keyed by a great RB or at least a guy performing at a high level. Duane Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith.

An OL is only as great as the players they block for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not like this offense features the run anyway. 2014 was a product of need, they wanted to limit danger to Tony and his freshly fish-gutted back. Now that he is "healthy" and we have 4-5 more years out of him, we'll be back to 300 or so total RB carries among 3-4 backs.
Eh, I think we will be back to running it again next year when Romo is healthy. We tried to stay balanced this past year. It was just hard when we were continually falling behind in points. Well and early in the year it was like we got too cute and tried to use passes to Dunbar instead of running the ball. Once Dunbar got hurt we got back to running the ball more consistently. Until our team would inevitably fall behind in points and we would have to go pass heavy.

Even still our run to pass ratio was still like 47% run. I have to imagine that was still better then most of the NFL.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Eh, I think we will be back to running it again next year when Romo is healthy. We tried to stay balanced this past year. It was just hard when we were continually falling behind in points. Well and early in the year it was like we got too cute and tried to use passes to Dunbar instead of running the ball. Once Dunbar got hurt we got back to running the ball more consistently. Until our team would inevitably fall behind in points and we would have to go pass heavy.

Even still our run to pass ratio was still like 47% run. I have to imagine that was still better then most of the NFL.
There's nothing at all they've shown, to make me think that. You said it yourself - we really didn't start trying to smash mouth last year until Dunbar went down.

It's not in jason's makeup, to play smash mouth and it ain't the plan.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's nothing at all they've shown, to make me think that. You said it yourself - we really didn't start trying to smash mouth last year until Dunbar went down.

McFadden's hamstring and Randle screwed things up. When McFadden stopped practicing they decided to go with Joseph Randle who did exactly jack crap (like many of us predicted).

They finally benched Randle and trusted McFadden's legs enough to hand him the football.

Nothing protects you from bad QB play than a solid running game, hence 47% runs despite Romo on the sidelines.

When Romo returns, the running game will protect his shoulder better than any lineman could.

Offensive balance defeats any defense. 4 minute offense keyed by the running game protects your own defense.

Improving the quality of RB makes a quantum leap of a difference. Great RB's can carry a team when the QB is slumping.

The only reason not to run is if the option sucks. The only way it can suck is if we stick with McFadden.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No but it is in Linehan's makeup.

I just wish we actually tried to be a little unpredictable with it. Instead the defense knows every time that we will run the ball when we do.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I just wish we actually tried to be a little unpredictable with it. Instead the defense knows every time that we will run the ball when we do.
And that's where Romo and his ability to change plays at the line makes a difference.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
McFadden's hamstring and Randle screwed things up. When McFadden stopped practicing they decided to go with Joseph Randle who did exactly jack crap (like many of us predicted).

They finally benched Randle and trusted McFadden's legs enough to hand him the football.

Nothing protects you from bad QB play than a solid running game, hence 47% runs despite Romo on the sidelines.

When Romo returns, the running game will protect his shoulder better than any lineman could.

Offensive balance defeats any defense. 4 minute offense keyed by the running game protects your own defense.

Improving the quality of RB makes a quantum leap of a difference. Great RB's can carry a team when the QB is slumping.

The only reason not to run is if the option sucks. The only way it can suck is if we stick with McFadden.
You're saying all common sense stuff we all know, that jason does not know.

Exactly like how when we run play action, we don't bother trying to sell it. Like Brad Sham says while doing the play by play, "Romo shows him the ball" we don't bother selling fakes because jason believes they don't work. The same way he believes the running game does not work. We will never be a run-first team with garrett here, and we will never draft a RB in the 1st round while he is here either.

Top Bottom