George: How Cowboys will handle Randy Gregory's issues with drugs, mental health

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
George: How Cowboys will handle Randy Gregory's issues with drugs, mental health

By BRANDON GEORGE Follow @DMN_George bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Staff Writer

Published: 01 May 2015 10:40 PM

Updated: 02 May 2015 12:32 AM

IRVING – The Dallas Cowboys landed one of the draft’s best pass-rushers Friday night by using their 60th overall pick on Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory. But they also took on another off-the-field challenge.

Six weeks after the Cowboys signed controversial free agent defensive end Greg Hardy, they selected a player in the second round of the draft who scouts say has Top 10 talent but also brings a lot of uncertainty to Valley Ranch.

Gregory tested positive for marijuana at the NFL scouting combine in February. He learned about the positive test in mid-March and said at a news conference then that he has struggled with marijuana use for years. He also said he last smoked marijuana in December leading up to the combine.

“I don’t wake up every day saying, ‘I’d really love to go smoke,’” he said in March. “It’s not a struggle for me every day [now]. In the past, hell yeah, it’s been a struggle.”

But Gregory brings another potential obstacle to the locker room. Sources said Friday night Gregory also suffers from bipolar disorder. The Cowboys have a history of working with defensive players who have battled mental health issues.

During a conference call with Dallas-area media Friday, Gregory was asked if he struggles with depression or bipolar disorder.

“Not anything like that,” he said. “I think I have the same kind of anxiety that a lot of guys in my position have. After talking with the staff, I think they were comfortable enough to be able to support me in that way. This is something that I’ve been working on for a while.”

Deryk Gilmore, Gregory’s agent, was also asked about his client’s mental health.

“That’s private,” he said. “We’re not talking about that.”

During Gregory’s pre-draft visit to Valley Ranch, he requested that the Cowboys put a structure in place for him that will help keep him out of trouble off the field, he said. The structure the Cowboys use to help Gregory, a source said, will be similar to how they assisted receiver Dez Bryant after he was arrested in the summer of 2012 and charged with assaulting his mother.

The Cowboys had a rotating three-man security team – led by private investigator David Wells – that called for at least one man to always shadow Bryant. But Gregory is described as a player who doesn’t like to party as much as Bryant and won’t need as much security, a source said.

Gregory was asked what sort of system the Cowboys will use to help him.

“It’s a lot of different things. I can’t really go into too much detail, but I definitely will be working with Jerry Jones and the rest of the staff,” Gregory said. “It was something I mentioned and something I felt like I needed. It kind of worked out because they felt the same way about it.”

Gregory will enter the NFL in the league’s substance abuse program that will mandate he is tested often. If he tests positive again, he’ll be subject to an immediate three-week fine and advance to Stage Two, which will then make him subject to unannounced testing up to 10 times a month.

“I think he’s a good person,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “He has great football character. … I believe in the young man.”

Gilmore also said Gregory will have a nutritional plan in place he’ll follow with the Cowboys. Gregory said he weighs about 240 right now but his average weight is close to 260.

Gregory made more than 20 pre-draft visits with teams across the league and faced the same marijuana questions at every stop. He didn’t make three of his pre-draft visits, he said. He missed his flight for one scheduled visit. The two other visits were canceled and the two teams were given a week’s notice, Gilmore said. Neither team had Gregory ranked high on their draft boards, Gilmore added.

“People said he had character issues. He failed a marijuana test. That has nothing to do with his character,” Gilmore said. “That’s crazy to me. I think there is a big misunderstanding about this kid. This kid has great character. He made a mistake and it was a wake-up call to him.

“We’re going to sit down with Dallas and go through everything we need to and we’ll put a great plan around him and they’re not going to have to worry about him.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys had a rotating three-man security team – led by private investigator David Wells – that called for at least one man to always shadow Bryant. But Gregory is described as a player who doesn’t like to party as much as Bryant and won’t need as much security, a source said.
Good lord, I hadn't realized Bryant has been that high maintenance a player.

dallen

Senior Tech
If he is being upfront about this stuff I consider that a good sign.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
During Gregory’s pre-draft visit to Valley Ranch, he requested that the Cowboys put a structure in place for him that will help keep him out of trouble off the field, he said. The structure the Cowboys use to help Gregory, a source said, will be similar to how they assisted receiver Dez Bryant after he was arrested in the summer of 2012 and charged with assaulting his mother.

I love to read this. The fact that Gregory is proactive in asking for help says something about his maturity. This isn't a retard when you hear him speak. I'm excited to have 3 legit pass rushing ends this year. I can't wait to see how the team uses them once Hardy is active. Hardy is a guy that can play inside some times. You wonder if they go RE Gregory, LE Lawrence and 3 technique Hardy with Crawford at the other DT spot in some dime packages. Now that would be a pass rush.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm starting to feel pretty good about this defense. Its not a finished product yet, but it's good enough that we can be a serious contender if our offense can perform like last year. Getting Gregory was huge, assuming his head stays on straight.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm excited to have 3 legit pass rushing ends this year.
And Crawford at 3T, too, which in Marinelli's system is almost like another end spot.

We are just missing the giant 1T who can key everyone else's success.

Also, I view Gregory as more of a weakside rotation guy or dime rushing LB. His size will be a challenge for him, but I love the violence he plays with.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Imagine how much having these outside rush threats helps Crawford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Crawford at 3T, too, which in Marinelli's system is almost like another end spot.

Also, I view Gregory as more of a weakside rotation guy or dime rushing LB. His size will be a challenge for him, but I love the violence he plays with.
The thing with Gregory is he played at 250 lbs last year and he doesn't play like an undersized DE. The guy plays strong. I'm not so worried about his size. I think people get too wrapped up with a guys weight and put him in a box based on it. Watch the guy play, he looks like Jason Taylor. Another skinny DE who played really strong for his size.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I really hope he's not bipolar. If he is no wonder he dropped. Go off your meds and it is hard to tell what he'll do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I understand the whole "testing hot on the biggest day of his life" argument, but FFS it's just pot, and it's legal in quite few states now. I don't see it as something to get up in arms about. I am glad, however, that the rest of the league were scared of him. Now, he can wreck the NFC East. :towel

hstour

Brand New Member
The thing with Gregory is he played at 250 lbs last year and he doesn't play like an undersized DE. The guy plays strong. I'm not so worried about his size. I think people get too wrapped up with a guys weight and put him in a box based on it. Watch the guy play, he looks like Jason Taylor. Another skinny DE who played really strong for his size.
At his Valley Ranch visit, Marinelli showed him game film of Simeone Rice and said that is who he (Gregory) reminded him of.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I've got a friend who has been going through the whole bipolar diagnosis thing for a month or so. He has been missed diagnosed and or undiagnosed for his entire life and he's in his late 30s. The dude seems to be doing better than I have ever seen since I've known him.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Brent is nor big enough for you?

And Marinelli has never had a giant 1 so why would you think he needs one?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The key word I saw in all of this was anxiety. I'm guessing he smokes the weed to help him with his anxiety, because the anxiety meds tend to either totally change who you are over time or make you lethargic among numerous other side affects. One of the big side affects is weight loss or weight gain.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Marinelli can get Gregory to play up to his potential this draft will pretty much be a success no matter what. He is a potential Pro Bowler and dominant force at DE, combine him with Hardy, Lawrence and Mincey and you have quite the group of DE's. I'm worried about another interior rusher aside from Crawford, although the plan could certainly be to have Hardy and Mincey kick down in nickel/dime. I think we can get by against the run with guys like Hayden, McClain and Brent at the 1.

More or less, I trust what Marinelli wants to do on the DL. He could potentially have quite the group of rushers off the edge, if we can find an interior pass rush next to Crawford our defense could be quite nasty.

Top Bottom