Cowboys VP: Current group of running backs could change

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just saw that the Bucs did not excercise the 5th year option on RB Doug Martin.

Wonder if you could get him for a late pick. That'd be worth a shot.
That's a good idea.

I'd be on the phone yesterday looking to make this happen, but we like where we are. :jerk

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw that and immediately had the same thought. They are going to have comp picks next year, why not flip a regular late pick for Martin? I would make that call right now but I doubt they do.
Like our sixth, oh wait...

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Like our sixth, oh wait...
:picard

Good thing they burned that to get back in and take that blocking TE prospect that is practice squad bound. Imagine the bidding war that would have occurred for him had he been an UDFA. :unsure

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They've stated before and after the draft they are good with what we have.
They just said in this article that they can see the depth chart at RB changing.

Don't have to be needlessly negative.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
A couple of years ago the Ravens traded Anquan Boldin to the 49ers for a 6th rounder. We trade a 6th for Geoff Swaim.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
They just said in this article that they can see the depth chart at RB changing.

No need to be disingenuous simply to push the negativity.
And like I said, probably through the waiver wire, or even June 2 cuts.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I saw that and immediately had the same thought. They are going to have comp picks next year, why not flip a regular late pick for Martin? I would make that call right now but I doubt they do.
I'd be in favor.

In fact, they could offer up their 6th...oops.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
They will do something at the RB position. I have little doubt about that. Stephen mentioned more than once that the world champs added a RB late in the season and were just fine (he failed to mention that it was necessary in part because Ridley tore his ACL and was lost for the rest of the season and that Blount was cut for quitting on his team). I don't know that Dallas will wait until deep into the season but I think in general they are trying to emulate the Patriots and their approach to RB. Feels sort of like a "we are smart, you know, like the Patriots" kind of thing to me but whatever.

Doug Martin would be almost a best case scenario as far as I'm concerned and he hasn't exactly lit it up since his rookie year. He is still young and has some nice upside though, so I would love to see them bring him in. There will be decent RBs cut or traded for next to nothing because they are going to get cut. If they can get a proven guy to add to the stable and maybe push off one of the guys they have now with a modest upgrade I will feel a bit better about the position.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Martin doesn't do anything at all for me. I really don't see an upgrade over what we have but maybe I'm wrong. Other than a very good rookie year he hasn't done anything. Didn't Tampa look for anybody to run the ball before going back to him this past season?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd actually sign Ahmad Bradshaw if I really wanted a RB. He is 29 years old. Averaged 4.7 ypc behind a terrible Colts offensive line last year. He has a couple of very good 1000 seasons on his resume with the Giants but has never really been used and abused as a RB.

I'd like him as an insurance policy against Randle not playing well or getting in trouble. Hell I'd rather have Bradshaw then McFadden but I'd bring him to camp with the rest and see what happens.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A couple of years ago the Ravens traded Anquan Boldin to the 49ers for a 6th rounder. We trade a 6th for Geoff Swaim.
Does Garrett have a head coach brother out there somewhere I'm not aware of?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd actually sign Ahmad Bradshaw if I really wanted a RB. He is 29 years old. Averaged 4.7 ypc behind a terrible Colts offensive line last year. He has a couple of very good 1000 seasons on his resume with the Giants but has never really been used and abused as a RB.

I'd like him as an insurance policy against Randle not playing well or getting in trouble. Hell I'd rather have Bradshaw then McFadden but I'd bring him to camp with the rest and see what happens.
Yeah, I go Bradshaw before Martin.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ozzie Newsome is their GM.
So? Every swinging dick alive was saying it was a brother/brother courtesy thing when that trade went down. But now it's a point to be made when you want to whine?

Boring.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Bradshaw would be OK but he is broken down. Still productive when healthy but he certainly will not be healthy for a full season. Neither will McFadden I know, and Martin probably won't either, but I would err on the side of youth and take a chance on Martin. He has been shit since his rookie season but he was impressive that year. Love to see what he can do behind this OL.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
There were contract considerations as well as one brother hooking another up.

But please continue.

Top Bottom