Archer: Would a runner make sense for the Cowboys at No. 4?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So you want to pay Elliot 4 + mil per year and give up the fourth pick in the draft? But Lamar Miller is too pricey?
Yes. Better player. Capable of being a bell cow.

Any player taken at 4 will cost the same. If I am getting the OROY and a top notch back for 4-5 years, absolutely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Any player taken at 4 will cost the same. If I am getting the OROY and a top notch back for 4-5 years, absolutely.
That's a very high salary for a RB. Not so much other positions. You're opinion on Elliott and the RB position is stuck on a 90's mindset. Hell who knows if Elliot lasts even 4 years. I can list you lots of young RBs that burn out even before then. And if he has an injury even less.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Nor I. Just take Elliott if the QB we want is gone.
Hell no, there is no way I'd take him at 4. He is not that special. If we don't get the QB we want, I'd hope like hell we try to trade down. Even if we have to take a bit of a loss in value for the pick. If we're unable to, take the highest defender on our board.

If we end up taking him after a trade down, fine. But he is not worth the 4th overall. It's very possible that we could have a chance at Henry at the top of the 2nd. And I don't see much difference between the two RBs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a very high salary for a RB. Not so much other positions. You're opinion on Elliott and the RB position is stuck on a 90's mindset. Hell who knows if Elliot lasts even 4 years. I can list you lots of young RBs that burn out even before then. And if he has an injury even less.
Your.

But you are certain Lamar Miller or any veteran back that could be signed lasts the life of his contract?

In my view, I take backs young, use them up and move on.

townsend

Banned

There's no way someone can say a college prospect is better than a seasoned player. You're looking at eggs and saying how big the chicken will be.

After all Miller was projected as a bell cow too before he was drafted.

If we sign a FA like Miller, we have a ready made starter that we don't have to worry about red shirting while he learns to play in the NFL, and we get to keep the 4th overall pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my view, I take backs young, use them up and move on.
Sure and that's why you don't waste top 10 draft picks on them. But I agree with you on that. I'd get a young back, run him into the ground and move on to the next. Sort of like the Redskins with Alfred Morris who has been on a downward trend his entire career. I also wouldn't pay anyone 4-5 mil either.

But if I'm going to pay one that much at least give me a guy who has proven he can do it on the NFL level. Lamar Miller has at least shown me something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I have to pay Miller $5m a year or Elliot $4 mil per year plus I have to use the fourth pick in the draft on him, it's a no brainer. I pay the extra million and keep the pick to use on something else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I have to pay Miller $5m a year or Elliot $4 mil per year plus I have to use the fourth pick in the draft on him, it's a no brainer. I pay the extra million and keep the pick to use on something else.
Miller is half the back Elliott is right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. Lamar Miller is 24 years old and has proven he can be a 1000 yard back in this league. He has shown he can average 4.6 ypc behind a far worse O-line then the one in Dallas. Not saying I necessarily want to spend that money on Miller but I sure as hell prefer it to using the fourth pick in the draft on Elliott.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What you're forgetting is Miller has a fraction of Elliott's talent, hence the high draft pick. And that's assuming we don't engineer a trade down.

Elliott is a talent like Todd Gurley or Leonard Fournette. Lamar Miller is a capable back who's worse than a guy we let go in Murray. I don't understand how you can't tell the difference.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What you're forgetting is Miller has a fraction of Elliott's talent, hence the high draft pick. And that's assuming we don't engineer a trade down.

Elliott is a talent like Todd Gurley or Leonard Fournette. Lamar Miller is a capable back who's worse than a guy we let go in Murray. I don't understand how you can't tell the difference.
:lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
If Gurley and Fournette were in this draft the both would be pushing somebody out of the consensus top 4 players in this draft.

Elliot is barely getting top 10 love, it's amazing how many people are Ok with bypassing better talent for a position that's not hard to fill.

I would take Ramsey over Elliot any day.

There I said it.:flip

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or is he Eddie Lacey good?

This should get you excited, Elliott and Lamar Miller are the exact some weight. I know how you feel about that. Must make them equal.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Are you one of the Urban Meyer haters or something?

Elliott is an outstanding runner and receiver and great pass blocker on top of it.

Not taking away from Fournette, whom I also love, but Elliott is a more polished and well-rounded player and as good as a runner. Fournette is a bit more powerful and could be faster.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Or is he Eddie Lacey good?
You lost credibility when it comes to RBs with the love for what was obviously a very average player in Joseph Randle and saying you'd not take Todd Gurley in the 1st round.

BTW, Lacey is overweight, so yeah it matters. :lol

If Gurley and Fournette were in this draft the both would be pushing somebody out of the consensus top 4 players in this draft.

Elliot is barely getting top 10 love, it's amazing how many people are Ok with bypassing better talent for a position that's not hard to fill.
I disagree. Elliott gets less respect because he's not from the SEC, but he's in that same category as Gurley and Furnette.

The position is not a dime a dozen.

As someone posted, franchise backs are harder to find than franchise QB's.

Yes and no, in each case you have to cultivate and groom the player, which people fail to do for most backs. When they find them, they rely on them too heavily and without offensive balance. That will get them killed in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You lost credibility when it comes to RBs with the love for what was obviously a very average player in Joseph Randle and saying you'd not take Todd Gurley in the 1st round.
Randle was batshit crazy, no one had any idea he was this off the wall. I never loved him, but I thought he could be a solid RB behind this offensive line and average over 4 ypc. Which he did and he can. Again, he is batshit crazy.

And why was I wrong on Gurley? Because he ran for 1100 yards as a rookie? You thought the same thing about Lacey after one good year so you really have no room to talk and probably shouldn't be jumping the gun.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't agree. I don't see Ezekiel Elliot as an Adrian Peterson-like stud.

I think he's a very good back but I think we would be buying low on Miller and I think he's a potential Pro Bowler behind this line as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Are you one of the Urban Meyer haters or something?

Elliott is an outstanding runner and receiver and great pass blocker on top of it.

Not taking away from Fournette, whom I also love, but Elliott is a more polished and well-rounded player and as good as a runner. Fournette is a bit more powerful and could be faster.
I don't hate Meyer, you are just being over the top as usual.

Who is all of this great talent pushing Elliot down in this years draft?

Elliot can be a great back especially behind this line but so could Henry, The talent drop from a Buckner to Clark is much different than Elliot and Henry.

But please bring up Dickerson again so I can have another great laugh.

Top Bottom