2015 NFL Draft Chatter Thread 4/30-5/2

Jiggyfly

Banned
I will wager that they wont be as effective which in turn will/could lead to our defense being on the field more which was my point.
And my point is the defense will be better giving the offense more chances.

This was a top 10 offense before last year I see no reason it drops below that now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
in other words, so now are running game won't be as effective because we have less talent, and our passing game won't be as effective because teams won't be showing 8 men fronts anymore.

sounds like the exact argument for why we need better talent at running back.
Maybe but an improved defense will mitigate a portion of that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I actually like our draft until that fifth rounder. What the hell was with the Ryan Russell pick. Do we even have space on the roster for another DE? And if we do why are we using a pick on a guy who basically could't do anything in college. Has like 8 sacks in college as a DE.

I think someone just liked his forty or something. I don't get it.
I don't mind collecting DE's. For years the Giants would be loaded at DE, even win a SB and then turn around and draft another DE high. As for Russell though, I just see him like most of our other picks after the 2nd round, going a round or two earlier than he should've.

I think you're on to something about his 40 time. Look a Byron Jones, and C. Green and now Russell. Jones was the combine workout warrior while Green and Jones also put up good combine numbers. Looks like our scouts this year valued the underwear olympics over on the field production.

Mark Nzeocha is a pure head scratcher. I doubt any other NFL team knew who the hell he was or even wanted him. What F'ing scout unearthed this guy and thought he was a good idea. Old, raw and undersized. Again a great athlete but holy hell we aren't having a track meet. Gibson is fine with me for a seventh rounder. I'd like to stash him on the practice squad for a year or two while we build his strength. I think he has potential but it definitely a project. Which is fine for where we picked him.

Then we traded a sixth to get Swaim. I don't see how he even makes the roster. If you need a blocking TE that badly then just put Gibson at TE and call it a day. It's not like you'd throw the ball to either guy anyway.
Again good examples of us not valuing draft picks. I have no doubt we could've gotten Nzeocha as an UDFA. And then we trade a 6th for a late 7th to get a blocking TE.

Clearly seems like after the first couple of rounds we're like , screw it let's just go after our pet cats and guys with great combine numbers regardless of where they are ranked.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
And my point is the defense will be better giving the offense more chances.

This was a top 10 offense before last year I see no reason it drops below that now.
Offense will drop if we don't have a consistent running game and have to rely more on the pass.

Karbala

Brand New Member
I don't mind collecting DE's. For years the Giants would be loaded at DE, even win a SB and then turn around and draft another DE high. As for Russell though, I just see him like most of our other picks after the 2nd round, going a round or two earlier than he should've.

I think you're on to something about his 40 time. Look a Byron Jones, and C. Green and now Russell. Jones was the combine workout warrior while Green and Jones also put up good combine numbers. Looks like our scouts this year valued the underwear olympics over on the field production.

Again good examples of us not valuing draft picks. I have no doubt we could've gotten Nzeocha as an UDFA. And then we trade a 6th for a late 7th to get a blocking TE.

Clearly seems like after the first couple of rounds we're like , screw it let's just go after our pet cats and guys with great combine numbers regardless of where they are ranked.

Seattle has been doing that strategy under Carroll.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We are certainly less talented at the RB position. There are some other variables that impact productivity that make it hard to predict though. For example our RBs next year probably won't face as many 8 man boxes. That means they could have more running room to work with.
Wait, why wouldn't they face 8-man fronts? That's the first thing I'd do to Dallas, take away their balance.

D-Mac couldn't break those fronts when he was in his prime, and I seriously doubt his skill has improved now in his 8th season.

I only know his supporting cast is vastly superior to anything he had before, so we're praying for some kind of revitalization.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, why wouldn't they face 8-man fronts? That's the first thing I'd do to Dallas, take away their balance.

D-Mac couldn't break those fronts when he was in his prime, and I seriously doubt his skill has improved now in his 8th season.

I only know his supporting cast is vastly superior to anything he had before, so we're praying for some kind of revitalization.
Because teams wouldn't respect our run as much as they do our pass so they would set out to stop our pass first. At least until we show that the O-line is too good to do that and guys like Randle and McFadden start ripping off long runs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I think it's an indication of what we've all suspected for a while now... that our board just doesn't have enough names on it. I think we disqualify way too many productive players for some reason and by the end of the draft we are no longer looking to add Jay Ratliff type productive players from big schools but instead are just looking for one trait or guys who can play one role (special teams, blocking TE). Like we are just accepting the fact that we won't get a starter in those rounds.

Our college scouting department needs another Parcells overhaul. Pro scouting seems ok.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's an indication of what we've all suspected for a while now... that our board just doesn't have enough names on it. I think we disqualify way too many productive players for some reason and by the end of the draft we are no longer looking to add Jay Ratliff type productive players from big schools but instead are just looking for one trait or guys who can play one role (special teams, blocking TE). Like we are just accepting the fact that we won't get a starter in those rounds.

Our college scouting department needs another Parcells overhaul. Pro scouting seems ok.
I think you're exactly right.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

It's like our board mainly consists of our invitees or guys we worked out. Once we get past the 2nd round we are reaching at least a round early for someone we met with.

We also obviously disregard BPA and go straight to specific needs like special teams coverage or backup OL, etc.

The one thing I do like is we've apparently dropped the strategy of drafting small school projects with measurables but no real production.

Also, while it was just the 7th round, it's still insane that we drafted the 25 year old German with ACL issue and then giving up a 6th to jump back in to take a jag TE. If we just had to have the scrub TE you'd think we would've drafted him instead of the German and saved our 6th.

I know the 6th/7th players are going to be longshots, but just throwing picks away is a sure way to guarantee you won't land a gem.

D

Deuce

The outrage over not getting a RB is dumb. We had a window in rounds 1 and 2 to get one that can play. We used our first on a different need when the value at RB wasn't there and in the 2nd we got the biggest steal of the draft. By the time our 3rd rolled around, all acceptable options were gone...including Ajayi and his busted knee. So move on.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The outrage over not getting a RB is dumb. We had a window in rounds 1 and 2 to get one that can play. We used our first on a different need when the value at RB wasn't there and in the 2nd we got the biggest steal of the draft. By the time our 3rd rolled around, all acceptable options were gone...including Ajayi and his busted knee. So move on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is exactly how I look at it. The only thing we could have really done was move up in the third. Hell I probably still would have gone with Davis from Iowa instead of a RB if we had moved up.

D

Deuce

This is exactly how I look at it. The only thing we could have really done was move up in the third. Hell I probably still would have gone with Davis from Iowa instead of a RB if we had moved up.
If anyone would have suggested a week ago that we should have drafted Cobb, Langford or Matt Jones (:lol) with our pick in round 3 to secure a RB, they would have been ridiculed. Now people are flipping their shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like our board mainly consists of our invitees or guys we worked out. Once we get past the 2nd round we are reaching at least a round early for someone we met with.

We also obviously disregard BPA and go straight to specific needs like special teams coverage or backup OL, etc.
I don't know if we are really reaching a full round or two. I just don't know enough about some of these guys to say that. But I do agree. There is something wrong when you're taking that high of a percentage of guys from a visit list 30 long. It can't just be a coincidence that those guys somehow are just always the best available. For that to be true you would have to be rating them higher then everyone else.

Top Bottom