Moore: What Cowboys did, and didn't, accomplish in NFL draft

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Other then Ajayi I don't see a RB worth it in the third. The other guys weren't very good. And honestly there has to be some serious issues with Ajayi. Hypotehtically if Ajayi's knee is shot, what RB would you have wanted with our third round pick?
Hell, I would have taken Langford over a swing tackle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thought about it, but Clemmings has starting potential, not "swing" and Jarrett will be a better player in my mind. There was not a RB worth it in the 3rd. Ajayi would have been okay in the 4th, but Jarrett presented too much value to me.
Yeah, I take Jarrett over Ajayi in both the 3rd and 4th.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They were dead middle in yards per rush and were statistically aided by other teams abandoning the run and trying to keep pace with the offense.

Also, it was much easier to pass against Dallas, so less of a reason to bother running.

The real top 7 teams (sorted by ypc) vs the run forced teams under 4 ypc and each had standout DTs.

If you can make the other team 1-dimensional, your pass defense is much, much easier and doesn't require elite talent to win.
Even if we go with they were dead middle that's a long way away from acting like we stink at DT, especially considering the injuries at LB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree I wanted Davis as well but this idea that we have garbage at DT just does not hold any water.
Hayden, Brent and McClain would have a tough time making another team. In Dallas they are core players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell, I would have taken Langford over a swing tackle.
I like Langford but the third would have been too high for him. He is a guy who if he had lasted until the fourth/fifth area I would have loved. I don't know if he is significantly better then someone like Randle but he would have been a solid addition to the roster.

With hindsight I would have moved up in the third to take Carl Davis. Probably wouldn't have cost much to move up a couple spots in the third. But I guess it's not really fair since I have the benefit of hindsight. Still as far up as my fifth would have gotten me I probably would have sacrificed there as soon as Davis made it to that point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Hayden, Brent and McClain would have a tough time making another team. In Dallas they are core players.
That's complete bullshit but it fits your narrative so continue.

It's great to know Marinelli is an idiot in your mind.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Don't look now but the two '16 mocks I've seen have us drafting:

1. Cam Sutton CB Tennnessee / 1. Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame
-----

It never ends. No matter what we do we'll always be mocked a CB or LB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would bet money that the Cowboys were gonna take Carl Davis in the third until Baltimore got him. I was sitting there thinking that they should trade up for him as the pick approached too. When Baltimore came up right before them, I said, "Shit, there he goes. Baltimore always grabs value defenders who slip a little." Sure enough, they did.

And then we took like all 7 minutes to pick.

I think he was our guy and we scrambled. Too bad -- getting Gregory and Davis would have almost made up for taking a CB in the first.

Anyway -- at DT -- they probably figured that beyond that, they like guys like Whaley and Bishop just as much. They do have a couple interesting developmental pieces at that position -- which was unlike DE before this point, where the only developmental piece was really Ben Gardener (I don't count Lawrence because he was such a high pick, he's not "developmental").

Smitty

DCC 4Life
DL Depth Chart for next year -- starting to look halfway decent if Hardy comes back after about 4 games?

RDE: G. Hardy/R. Gregory/J. Crawford
RDT: T. Crawford/T. McClain/C. Whaley/D. Coleman
LDT: N. Hayden/J. Brent/K. Bishop
LDE: D. Lawrence/J. Mincey/B. Gardener

They rave about Jack Crawford on DC.com but I hope Gardener pushes him out, and I'm not even sure Gardener would make it as a 5th end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bet money that the Cowboys were gonna take Carl Davis in the third until Baltimore got him. I was sitting there thinking that they should trade up for him as the pick approached too. When Baltimore came up right before them, I said, "Shit, there he goes. Baltimore always grabs value defenders who slip a little." Sure enough, they did.

And then we took like all 7 minutes to pick.

I think he was our guy and we scrambled. Too bad -- getting Gregory and Davis would have almost made up for taking a CB in the first.

Anyway -- at DT -- they probably figured that beyond that, they like guys like Whaley and Bishop just as much. They do have a couple interesting developmental pieces at that position -- which was unlike DE before this point, where the only developmental piece was really Ben Gardener (I don't count Lawrence because he was such a high pick, he's not "developmental").
I totally agree on Davis. Man, talk about rebuilding the defense if we had got him. That's 3 guys with first round type potential.

That's the one pick we missed out on that really sucks to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DL Depth Chart for next year -- starting to look halfway decent if Hardy comes back after about 4 games?

RDE: G. Hardy/R. Gregory/J. Crawford
RDT: T. Crawford/T. McClain/C. Whaley/D. Coleman
LDT: N. Hayden/J. Brent/K. Bishop
LDE: D. Lawrence/J. Mincey/B. Gardener

They rave about Jack Crawford on DC.com but I hope Gardener pushes him out, and I'm not even sure Gardener would make it as a 5th end.
I think Russell beats Gardener. Watched some clips of him that I liked actually. Pretty athletic bigger guy.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jaylon Smith is going to be sick, probably a 1st rounder.
That's where he was mocked to us. May happen. We obviously don't value RB / DT enough to draft one in the 1st or at all.
After that our needs will likely be DB, LB, QB. We'll put off QB as long as Romo can still walk, so odds are we'll likely go LB or DB. Can't have enough.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's where he was mocked to us. May happen. We obviously don't value RB / DT enough to draft one in the 1st or at all.
After that our needs will likely be DB, LB, QB. We'll put off QB as long as Romo can still walk, so odds are we'll likely go LB or DB. Can't have enough.
It's way too soon to be talking about needs for next years draft.

Top Bottom