2015 NFL Draft Chatter Thread 4/30-5/2

townsend

Banned
I kind of forget about Melton because in the second half of the season he did nothing for us. But I guess we did lose him from last year. Of course you could argue a full season with Brent sort of makes up for that. Ultimately we did did lose a backup 3 technique and god Bennett would have been a perfect replacement. I have no idea why he fell so far.

If you look at the D-line as a whole though we added 2 elite guys in Gregory and Hardy. Those aren't just marginal upgrades. Those are massive upgrades.
I wonder if Mincey might be able to move inside. With all the depth we've picked up at DE, moving a bigger guy like that to DT might work.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They are only upgraded for the games they actually play and you could even say if McClain actually plays as well as did the first part of the year.

Im not into the doom and gloom but can see where we have cause for concern. Last season they stated the the running game kept the defense off the field and minimized the chances for the offense to take advantage of them. Dont really think that is going to be possible this year so the defense better be ready to perform.
The depth behind those guys is much better so your point is moot.

You act like this team is going to struggle running the ball this year, do you really think that?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are only upgraded for the games they actually play
I think everyone is looking at the upgrades over the season as a whole. Meaning for example Sean Lee will probably play more games for us next year then last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wonder if Mincey might be able to move inside. With all the depth we've picked up at DE, moving a bigger guy like that to DT might work.
I was thinking the same thing. I think it might be a good idea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You act like this team is going to struggle running the ball this year, do you really think that?
I think our LBer position is better from top to bottom compared to last year. We have more guys then we need but that won't hurt us at all. Especially with the lack of reliability with a guy like Sean Lee.

Genghis Khan

At times, yes I think we will struggle running the football.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes, I think that is a distinct possibility.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The most telling thing will be how we respond when the running game is stifled. If we go Garrett style and fling the ball 45 times, that will spell disaster.
Does anyone really expect anything else?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I will wager that they wont be as effective which in turn will/could lead to our defense being on the field more which was my point.

townsend

Banned
Does anyone really expect anything else?
Before last year, absolutely not. We now have a proven track record of success due to the commitment to the run. Linehan is capable of evolving, there's a reason he set a franchise record with the same back Garrett couldn't trust to close a blowout with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will wager that they wont be as effective which in turn will/could lead to our defense being on the field more which was my point.
Our starting running back will not be as productive next year. Let's just get that out of the way.

The question is do you think our running game will fall off the face of the earth. Do you think the best O-line in football had that little to do with our run game last year?

Not saying you specifically but reading some of the posts on these boards it's like people expect our RBs next year to trip over themselves and shit their pants. We had massive running lanes at times last year. Don't make me show more highlights of Randle's runs. :art

townsend

Banned
Randle/McFadden should at least be able to do a Tatum Bell/ Mike Anderson thing. Sure neither of them are Clinton Portis, but the lack of all star RB didn't cause the team's rushing attack to collapse.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Our starting running back will not be as productive next year. Let's just get that out of the way.

The question is do you think our running game will fall off the face of the earth. Do you think the best O-line in football had that little to do with our run game last year?

Not saying you specifically but reading some of the posts on these boards it's like people expect our RBs next year to trip over themselves and shit their pants. We had massive running lanes at times last year. Don't make me show more highlights of Randle's runs. :art
I think you and I are the only ones that have any regard for Randles abilities.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Just because you do it one year doesnt mean it will happen that way the next. Injuries, slumps, and gameplans all come into play.

Geez. Im just saying I dont think its going to be as effective. To what degree is anybodies guess.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Geez. Im just saying I dont think its going to be as effective. To what degree is anybodies guess.
We are certainly less talented at the RB position. There are some other variables that impact productivity that make it hard to predict though. For example our RBs next year probably won't face as many 8 man boxes. That means they could have more running room to work with.

Genghis Khan

We are certainly less talented at the RB position. There are some other variables that impact productivity that make it hard to predict though. For example our RBs next year probably won't face as many 8 man boxes. That means they could have more running room to work with.
in other words, so now are running game won't be as effective because we have less talent, and our passing game won't be as effective because teams won't be showing 8 men fronts anymore.

sounds like the exact argument for why we need better talent at running back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
in other words, so now are running game won't be as effective because we have less talent, and our passing game won't be as effective because teams won't be showing 8 men fronts anymore.
No you're getting it wrong now. In other words the running game could be more effective because they are facing less 8 man fronts, not less effective. If you're saying they will be less effective because they will draw less 8 man fronts then you can't turn around and say the passing game will be less effective with the exact same talent.

You can't have it both ways.

Further better talent at RB is relative. You aren't getting Demarco Murray from last year. So it's more a question of how talented are the guys on the roster and how do they compare to the guys you could have added.

Top Bottom