Boxing Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I thought we had one of these?

Anyway, what a great night of boxing.

It was great watching Marcos Maidana beat the shit out of that clown, and fake ass Mayweather wannabe, Adrien Broner.

Eat shit!

:towel

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Maidana now gets his crack at Mayweather.

I don't think he can beat him, but I'm glad he's getting a shot.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I can't believe people still shell out money to watch Mayweather fight these guys.

Fight Gennady Golovkin, you fucking pussy. You already ducked Manny.

Carl

RIP Brother
I can't believe people still shell out money to watch Mayweather fight these guys.

Fight Gennady Golovkin, you fucking pussy. You already ducked Manny.
No one wants to fight Golovkin. And with good reason. He is frightening.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Don't know how many of you guys really like boxing, but there is an outstanding card on NBC tonight that is about to start.

Apparently, this is a collective effort to make boxing popular to the masses again and this is the first of 20 cards that will be on NBC this year.

Broner, Guerrero, Thurman and Abner Mares all fight tonight.

Great stuff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Used to watch it a lot. Not so much any more.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like this quite a bit on NBC...feels big with Michaels and Marv Albert doing it. This is boxing trying to go the UFC route. Wish we had some heavyweights to watch.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I like this quite a bit on NBC...feels big with Michaels and Marv Albert doing it. This is boxing trying to go the UFC route. Wish we had some heavyweights to watch.
Yup, that's exactly what it is.

They've tried to cut as much of the crap out of boxing as they could, which is why you're not seeing the long, drawn out entrances with 20 people in the entourage or whatever.

I'm glad to see it, and as a fan of boxing I'm hoping that this experiment ends up being successful.

D

Deuce

Honestly, be glad you don't. The heavyweight division is so bad right now and has been for years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Thurman's power is just insane, but Guerrero is fighting a good fight so far.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What heart from Guerrero.

This has been a great fight and exactly the type of entertaining bout NBC needed to get this event off on the right foot.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Early candidate for fight of the year.

That was great stuff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I saw a few rounds of this fight. The one guy had a good jab and should have been scoring well with it. The other was relying on strengtg and his wind up was telegraphed badly. Most of his punches were not landing. I guit after about the 4th round and changed to another program. It looked like a good match was being brewed but it also looked like it would probably go to the score card.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
6 years later than it should have, the mega fight is finally gonna take place. :towel

Basically, here's how I see it:

Both men have declined, but I feel the decline has affected Pacquiao more due to the natural regression one suffers to their athleticism as they age.

Floyd relies on defense and counter punching, most often 1 or 2 punches then moving away. That style is not affected with age as is speed, power, and workrate which are all of Pacquiao's greatest tools.

I had zero doubt that Pacquiao would've defeated Mayweather 5 years ago. But while I'm not so certain now, I still believe he can and will win for the same reasons I believed in back then. Floyd has never fought anyone who could match him (or at least come close to macthing him) in hand speed. But not only does Pacquiao have the speed, he has the best combination of speed and power out of anyone the sport has seen in the last 15 years.

Floyd has avoided fast, technical guys like De la Hoya, Zab Judah, and Shane Moseley. He's made a relatively easy go of it against strong, stationary fighters like Canelo Alvarez and Maidana.

But none of those guys possessed all of the following traits: Speed, power, technical prowess and top notch precision - except for one, and that was Miguel Cotto. That's why it is no coincidence that the toughest fight of Mayweather's career, and the only one that truly saw him take some physical punishment, was against Miguel Cotto. Cotto used those traits along with an excellent plan to attack the body to make Mayweather suffer like no one has ever seen. It just got to a point where he just couldn't land enough punches to win a decision.

So now you take Pacquiao who can do all of that but to an even greater degree. He's faster, quicker, more precise, and throws more devastating combinations. If Cotto could get to Mayweather, then so will Pacquiao.

It is my belief that while Mayweather will frustrate Pac at times, it will be impossible to avoid punches for the entirety of the fight. And once Pacquiao begins to land enough punches to start winning on the cards, Mayweather will have to go on the offensive which is not his strength, nor is it something he is comfortable doing. That is when Pac will land even more punches, and do what no one else has done before and beat Floyd.

Pacquaio wins on points.

data

Forbes #1
Not sure why Peterson, Hardy and Rice get suspended while Mayweather boxes and Chris Brown still sings.

Top Bottom