Archer - Jerry Jones: Time off hurt Greg Hardy's production

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Time off hurt Greg Hardy's production

6:02 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys say they want to keep free-agent linebacker Rolando McClain. They say want to keep free-agent cornerback Morris Claiborne and free-agent tight end James Hanna. Why can't they say they want -- or don't want -- to keep free-agent defensive end Greg Hardy?

There is only a sliver of a possibility Hardy returns in 2016 but owner and general manager Jerry Jones will not close the door all the way, at least publicly.

Jones would not discuss the team's plan. Earlier in the week executive vice president Stephen Jones said a decision has not been reached by the team on Hardy's future. On Friday, the Cowboys had a face-to-face meeting with agent Drew Rosenhaus.

"We all agreed that we would have loved to see him have 17 sacks," Jones said. "We all agree with that. But we didn't say he wasn't a meaningful part of the defense. He was. He was impactful on our defense in his own way. Was he impactful to the level that we hoped he might be? I'm going to say it one more time: we underestimated his comeback time after being laid off during that time. We all know this elephant in the room. We understand it. That's as far as I'm going to go with it."

It's actually multiple elephants. Hardy's four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy because of a domestic violence incident in 2014 in Charlotte was a constant shadow over the Cowboys in 2015. He was also late for or missed meetings as well as other transgressions that caused drama in certain parts of the locker room.

Hardy played in 12 games and finished with six sacks. When he put four sacks up in the first four games he played, Jones spoke of wanting to keep Hardy on a long-term deal. Hardy had just one full sack in a game in the final eight games.

He was reprimanded at least three times by coach Jason Garrett and had a stern meeting in November with Jones.

Hardy missed the final 15 games of the 2014 season after he was placed on the commissioner's exempt list for the incident with a former girlfriend. He was initially suspended 10 games but had it reduced on appeal to four games.

When asked why it didn't work out for Hardy in 2015, Jones expanded on the 19-game absence over the previous two seasons.

"First of all we had such a high bar for his expectations," Jones said. "I'm reminded time and time again no matter how great the player if they haven't played for a season and half or two seasons, it's impossible for them to come back and play at the level that they may have played prior to that. That alone is dreaming. You don't lay off for year or a year and half. Even though you are a great player, you just lose something in getting back when you are laid off. We all underestimated the effect of his layoff.

"Obviously off the field issues would have impacted anything. I think that was impactful and the fact that we weren't winning. Now one was a cause and effect. Had he had a better season at that time that would have helped you win. You seem to have better seasons out of players when you are on a winning streak then when you are having trouble winning and losing. I think that had an impact. If we had been sitting there when 10 or 11 wins, then Hardy or others could have had a better year."
------------------

Probably the smartest commentary I have heard from him in a while.

Now, do the smart thing. Now go sign the guy back to another team friendly deal and minimize the loss of Gregory and the need to reach for a pass rusher with the fourth pick.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am surprised you are so adamant on wanting him back, with the knucklehead factor and all.

I would not mind bringing him back but not at the same price, it would have to be a heavily incentive laden contract.

townsend

Banned
If we resign Hardy I think it's a clear indication that Garrett's time on the team is short. It seems like the longer your tenure in Dallas the less power you have. JG's Wade now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we resign Hardy I think it's a clear indication that Garrett's time on the team is short. It seems like the longer your tenure in Dallas the less power you have. JG's Wade now.
I want Hardy back but it's all about the contract. I don't really want him back on a 1 year deal like last years. If I could have him on a 2 or 3 year deal for 5-6 mil a year I'd love it. Honestly there isn't a more talented DE in the free agent market. It's a pretty shitty free agent market.

With that being said we just can't afford to pay him 10+ mil again. Just isn't in the budget.

townsend

Banned
I want Hardy back but it's all about the contract. I don't really want him back on a 1 year deal like last years. If I could have him on a 2 or 3 year deal for 5-6 mil a year I'd love it. Honestly there isn't a more talented DE in the free agent market. It's a pretty shitty free agent market.

With that being said we just can't afford to pay him 10+ mil again. Just isn't in the budget.
There's part of me that wants to see what would happen if Jason gets his balls cut off. We'll definitely have a shit season. But two bad seasons in a row should be enough to make Jerry go find a real coach.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I say that's all the more reason to bring him back next season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I say that's all the more reason to bring him back next season.
I am mixed on this guy. I think he can help the team if he gets his head on straight but at the same time if the coach and owner has sessions with him and he still rebelled then that says a lot. Obviously where there is risk then the money should be limited to the point where little is lost if everything goes south.

townsend

Banned
If I'm Jerry I don't re sign the guy. But for that matter if I was Jerry, Garrett would have been fired in after 09. So me and Jerry don't think the same.

As a fan I kinda want to see Hardy come back just to watch the fireworks.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If Hardy was hurting the locker room culture I don't want him back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am surprised you are so adamant on wanting him back, with the knucklehead factor and all.

I would not mind bringing him back but not at the same price, it would have to be a heavily incentive laden contract.
Hardy's deal is a little different IMO. He's a talent when his head is together. What I don't tolerate are shitheads who are not talented. Like Joseph Randle.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The only person I have read that had a problem with him was Jeremy Mincey. Who cares what he thinks?
There have been hints in the media that there was more. It's not even just that though, you can't have a six sack guy constantly violating team rules.

Top Bottom