Machota: Cowboys draft OT Chaz Green: ‘I’m intelligent, tough; exceptional athlete’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys draft OT Chaz Green: ‘I’m intelligent, tough; exceptional athlete’

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: May 1, 2015 10:00 pm

IRVING — After losing swing tackle Jermey Parnell in free agency to Jacksonville, the Cowboys addressed the position in the third round Friday night by selecting Florida offensive tackle Chaz Green.

The 6-5, 314-pounder saw his stock slip because of durability issues. He started 11 games for the Gators in 2014 with nine coming at right tackle and two at left tackle. A torn labrum prevented him from playing during the 2013 season.

“I just see myself as an all-around football player,” Green said. “Obviously, I’m a very exceptional athlete in my opinion. I’m very quick on my feet, athletic guy. I’m a very intelligent football IQ guy. But I’m also a tough physical guy. I love contact. From an athletic standpoint, from a physical and mental toughness, from a leadership standpoint, I feel like I fit all of those molds.”

Green started 11 games in 2012. Parnell started five games during the regular season and both playoff games at right tackle when Doug Free was out because of a foot injury.

Free is under contract through the 2017 season, but Green could be the team’s right tackle of the future. Green was the 19th offensive lineman selected in this year’s draft.

“If Chaz does what we think he can do, he can sit in there and be behind Doug and learn from a great meeting room,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “And when it’s time for Doug to hang them up, we think we have a tackle who can start for us.”

According to Green, the Cowboys showed more interest than any other team during the draft process. He also mentioned that every time the Cowboys were on TV this season, he was watching.

“Dallas has the best offensive line in the NFL in my opinion,” Green said. “I like Tyron Smith. I’ve watched him for a while. I model my game after him and now I get a chance to come in and learn from him and the other guys. I’m just so excited about this opportunity.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have to admit something is off about his draft stock and actual play.

He was a surprise combine invite so he was on people's radars and I have not read anything giving him major flaws in his play, most just say he needs to get stronger, which is usually the flaw of a 3rd round OL pick.

Even his injuries have not been anything chronic and he played a full year.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Cowboys draft OT Chaz Green: ‘I’m intelligent, tough; exceptional athlete’

“Dallas has the best offensive line in the NFL in my opinion,” Green said. “I like Tyron Smith. I’ve watched him for a while. I model my game after him and now I get a chance to come in and learn from him and the other guys. I’m just so excited about this opportunity.”
It's amazing how young Tyron Smith is. Green makes him sound like a wily old vet he's watching, yet Green is only like a year or two younger.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to admit something is off about his draft stock and actual play.

He was a surprise combine invite so he was on people's radars and I have not read anything giving him major flaws in his play, most just say he needs to get stronger, which is usually the flaw of a 3rd round OL pick.

Even his injuries have not been anything chronic and he played a full year.
I think if he went anywhere other than a school like Florida, there is no way he gets drafted. I know he was not highly rated and then after their Pro Day, people were like hmmm. He got some pop with predraft visits not only to Dallas but also eight other teams.

I also think he got the benefit of people checking out Humphries and then seeing the guy that filled in for him sometimes or when he did play go on the opposite side.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I liked the film I've seen on him, which admittedly is not much. He looked real comfortable playing either tackle spot, and he kind of moves like a guard.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I liked the film I've seen on him, which admittedly is not much. He looked real comfortable playing either tackle spot, and he kind of moves like a guard.
Ultimately, that is what he'll probably end up at. He is like a few other players we drafted, like Wilson...I am looking real hard to see stuff I like, struggling to find it.

Top Bottom