Cowboys first round draft grades

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously, none of these pundits are local to this forum. This pick was roundly panned here.
It's kind of funny that basically everyone loves the pick except for this message board. This message board views it as an absolute nightmare. Of course I don't think the DCC will ever be accused of being populated by homers.

D

Deuce

It's kind of funny that basically everyone loves the pick except for this message board. This message board views it as an absolute nightmare. Of course I don't think the DCC will ever be accused of being populated by homers.
It's honestly the one thing that is keeping me off the edge right now. I'm hoping it's just me not seeing the greatness and will be pleasantly surprised. Similar to my predraft hate of Dontari Poe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's honestly the one thing that is keeping me off the edge right now. I'm hoping it's just me not seeing the greatness and will be pleasantly surprised. Similar to my predraft hate of Dontari Poe.
I didn't like Patrick Peterson. Thought he was more of a workout warrior then an actual stud player. I hope I'm similarly wrong about this pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think some saw Jones as a mid-2nd to early 3rd type before the combine, and then he rose about a half round to a round, which isn't that rare. It's not like he went from 6th to 1st and I think I read a few draft pundit types had him in their top 50 even before the combine.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
There are enough experts out there who like the pick to at least make me feel better about taking a small school guy. Then again...as everyone pointed out...look at Claiborne, elite competition, big school prospect, and he's been horrible.

I think its always a gamble on a CB in the 1st/early 2nd round, no matter how good he supposedly is at the college level. Its just a crap shoot.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There are enough experts out there who like the pick to at least make me feel better about taking a small school guy. Then again...as everyone pointed out...look at Claiborne, elite competition, big school prospect, and he's been horrible.

I think its always a gamble on a CB in the 1st/early 2nd round, no matter how good he supposedly is at the college level. Its just a crap shoot.
~drops bait/chum in the water for Schmitty~

It makes you wonder....did the LSU front 7 make Claiborne look better than he really was?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
~drops bait/chum in the water for Schmitty~

It makes you wonder....did the LSU front 7 make Claiborne look better than he really was?
All those Marcus Spears wannabes, providing all that pressure...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I didn't like Patrick Peterson. Thought he was more of a workout warrior then an actual stud player. I hope I'm similarly wrong about this pick.
The difference is speed. Peterson can afford to be sloppier or less instinctive because he's so damned fast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The difference is speed. Peterson can afford to be sloppier or less instinctive because he's so damned fast.
That's exactly right and that's why I may be wrong about Byron Jones. No question his athletic ability is off the charts. Not just his long speed but his shuttle times are very impressive which shows he is quick and can change directions quickly.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's exactly right and that's why I may be wrong about Byron Jones. No question his athletic ability is off the charts. Not just his long speed but his shuttle times are very impressive which shows he is quick and can change directions quickly.
It's the change of direction which was supposedly his weakness when reacting to double moves. Cones are one thing, but he will face an entirely different class of route runner in the NFL. I think he's going to need every bit of that speed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the change of direction which was supposedly his weakness when reacting to double moves.
It's not the change of direction that is the problem it's the reaction times. Which basically means instincts.

hstour

Brand New Member
Taking a CB is fine if he's legitimately talented.

What's upsetting is the rapid climb seemingly based on those freakish combine results and a home-track advantage 4.36 40 time.

Hell, Claiborne ran 4.37 on his home field track and we all know he's nowhere near that fast on a football field.

NFL.com didn't have Jones ranked in their top 100.
Scouts Inc. had him 37 overall
Kiper - 28
McShay - 37
CBS Sports - 20
SI - 79
Walter Football - 33

I like the pick. Not only his measurables, but his on the field production. He was moved from FS to CB and can play both. He was elected a team captain as a sophomore. From what I have read, he has a tremendous work ethic on the field and in the film room. He is absolutely who I wanted at 27, but I didn't think he would get there.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I like the pick. Not only his measurables, but his on the field production. He was moved from FS to CB and can play both. He was elected a team captain as a sophomore. From what I have read, he has a tremendous work ethic on the field and in the film room. He is absolutely who I wanted at 27, but I didn't think he would get there.
Well, one of us seems pleased. It appears to be a minority, but then if you're assessment is good, you come out looking like a genius.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Scouts Inc. had him 37 overall
Kiper - 28
McShay - 37
CBS Sports - 20
SI - 79
Walter Football - 33

Now I know I hate him.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
He seems like a smart guy and good person.

I don't want any good people on this defense ever again. Nothing but goons, henchmen, and nutcases from now on, please.

townsend

Banned
In my mind we got a 2nd rounder in the 1st, a 1st rounder in the 2nd, and then a succession of 6th rounders.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In my mind we got a 2nd rounder in the 1st, a 1st rounder in the 2nd, and then a succession of 6th rounders.
Draft grades by various sources would disagree with your assessment.

townsend

Banned
Draft grades by various sources would disagree with your assessment.
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. But at this moment I believe our picks from 3rd, 4th, and 5th, were not good enough to be drafted at their position.

Top Bottom