Gregory highlights.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that's what you want to believe that's fine. I hope you're right. But I think it is probably wishful thinking because you are a Cowboys fan.
I'm basing it on facts. I wouldn't call that wishful thinking. If the guy had biopolar disorder don't you think that would have been all over the place like Ajayi's knee was? Not saying Gregory doesn't have issues but that doesn't mean they aren't the type of issues that can be dealt with. Everything I have seen out of Gregory tells me the issues he has can be dealt with. This isn't a Pacman Jones type retarded player that you know is going to get in legal trouble.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I guess if you're going to say the guy is Bipolar I'd need more evidence then just pure speculation. I mean we've seen players with bipolar disorder. They are running in the streets in their underwear with a knife when they are off their meds. Do you have any examples of crazy behavior like this? I've seen none. In fact I believe Gregory explicitly denied having any diagnosed mental disorder such as that.

I think he smoked a lot of weed in college. Was almost kicked off the Nebraska football team for it and then tested positive at the combine. Add to that he blew off some teams for predraft visits and weighed in much lighter (235) then people thought he would. All of that is why he fell to the second. I don't know that any of that stuff makes him a ticking time bomb though.
Ok you are going to worst case scenario with Bipolar there are varying degrees, now I don't know what is diagnosis is but if you tell teams you need a support structure to keep you in line that has to tell you there is something going on.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm basing it on facts. I wouldn't call that wishful thinking. If the guy had biopolar disorder don't you think that would have been all over the place like Ajayi's knee was? Not saying Gregory doesn't have issues but that doesn't mean they aren't the type of issues that can be dealt with. Everything I have seen out of Gregory tells me the issues he has can be dealt with. This isn't a Pacman Jones type retarded player that you know is going to get in legal trouble.
You are basing it off the facts that you have, yes. You don't have all the facts. Neither do I. I am not going to completely dismiss the reports like "[A]ccording to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football".

It seems like his problems are probably manageable but you said "Sounds like he has some anxiety but not much more. There are other ways to deal with anxiety then weed. Once he figures it out he'll be fine." That is a big assumption for someone who has no idea what the guy's psychological profile actually is. That is saying that as fact that he is going to figure it out.

Whatever the case, it isn't worth discussing any further. It is a matter of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. Mine is that he may end up being a Pro Bowl DE for years to come but there is also a good chance his issues prevent that from happening. Otherwise those reports would not be out there and he probably would not have lasted until #60.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y "[A]ccording to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football".
Yeah, rigors like missing flights to visit teams. Actually not much different then Dez who had serious problem with missing meetings and showing up late until he had the help he needed from the team.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah, rigors like missing flights to visit teams. Actually not much different then Dez who had serious problem with missing meetings and showing up late until he had the help he needed from the team.
:lol

You're right, man. There is no risk in Randy Gregory. He is going to be fine. Nothing to see here. Glad you are able to make that determination without the first idea what alarmed so many NFL franchises about the guy's interviews/psychological profiles. I'm only going off of what is being reported and the fact that he fell so dramatically in the draft.

Even leaving the mental health question out of it altogether, the fact that he feels he needs a support system and that he enters the league already in the substance abuse program inherently makes him a risk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

You're right, man. There is no risk in Randy Gregory. He is going to be fine. Nothing to see here. Glad you are able to make that determination without the first idea what alarmed so many NFL franchises about the guy's interviews/psychological profiles. I'm only going off of what is being reported and the fact that he fell so dramatically in the draft.
:jerk

No one said there is no risk. But I'm sure as hell not going to make up a medical diagnosis to fret over either. There is risk there as with any player who has off the field concerns. Just like there is a risk that he is too small to play DE. Not sure why you feel the need to blow it all out of proportion though and try to make it sound like the guy is bat shit crazy when he has done nothing to indicate so.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:jerk

No one said there is no risk.
No one except you:

Sounds like he has some anxiety but not much more. There are other ways to deal with anxiety then weed. Once he figures it out he'll be fine.
You don't know that this is all there is to it any more than I know there isn't. Just because no one is going to go on the record about it if the guy is a head case doesn't mean that it isn't so.

There is risk there as with any player who has off the field concerns. Just like there is a risk that he is too small to play DE. Not sure why you feel the need to blow it all out of proportion though and try to make it sound like the guy is bat shit crazy when he has done nothing to indicate so.
I've said it multiple times, I am going off of reports based off of what reporters were told by NFL front offices when it comes to his mental state. You don't have to believe them. I don't know for sure that they are true, but I am of the "where there is smoke, there is fire" mindset on this one. The guy was either not even on most teams' draft boards or bumped so far down that they figured they would let someone else deal with the risk. It could all be the weed but it sure as hell doesn't sound like it.

No one said "bat shit crazy" either. There is speculation that he is bipolar. That does not equal bat shit crazy but it can certainly be problematic if it is true.

Not worth discussing anymore.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm worried he might be one of those guys who is smart, but thinks he's way smarter than he is.
He thinks he's got it all under control, but one little slip and...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one said "bat shit crazy" either. There is speculation that he is bipolar. That does not equal bat shit crazy but it can certainly be problematic.
That funny because even the quotes you've provided make no mention of bipolar or any serious mental disorder. You're blowing it up into way more then it is or even that has been speculated.

But lets look at it from a prospective of things we actually know. Which is he smokes pot and he skipped visits to teams. There is no real basis for anything you've said past those character concerns.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That funny because even the quotes you've provided make no mention of bipolar or any serious mental disorder. You're blowing it up into way more then it is or even that has been speculated.

But lets look at it from a prospective of things we actually know. Which is he smokes pot and he skipped visits to teams. There is no real basis for anything you've said past those character concerns.
Very attorney of you but this isn't a court of law where I am trying to prove something, just trying to make the point that there may be more to his issues than what we currently know as fact. Here is one quote from the DMN:

Randy Gregory fell from a possible top-10 pick all the way to the Cowboys at No. 60 because he tested positive for marijuana at the combine. That, on top of reports he came up positive a couple of times at Nebraska, raised legitimate concerns about a problem, particularly with his judgment.

And then comes this report: A source tells our Brandon George that Gregory suffers from bipolar disorder.

One NFL executive told Bob McGinn of jsonline.com, the website of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, that weed is but the “tip of the iceberg” with Gregory. Kid has trouble dealing with stress, he said, adding he’s got “no chance” of making it.
I already said that the bipolar comment I read was just speculation. I shouldn't have initially stated that he is bipolar. I just read it in a couple of articles (of the many articles I have read about Gregory over the past couple of days, including this one) and mistook it for fact.

The bottom line is that there are reports that multiple front offices question the guy's mental state. Go ahead and stick with your "Objection your honor. Speculation." stance. That's fine. It is speculation based off of reports. Doesn't mean that there is nothing to it. Whatever the true reality of his mental state, the guy is a walking red flag.

I'm done with this subject. You said flat out that it is just anxiety and weed. He is going to be fine, you stated as fact. Just go with that, even though you have no idea because you have never evaluated the guy and aren't privy to the information of the franchises that have.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm done with this subject. You said flat out that it is just anxiety and weed. He is going to be fine, you stated as fact. Just go with that, even though you have no idea because you have never evaluated the guy and aren't privy to the information of the franchises that have.
No I'll stick with he will be fine because the Cowboys have proven as a franchise that they are more then capable of handling these types of players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess I missed that medical diagnosis somewhere. Do you have the article for that?

He hasn't had any of the crazy episodes that you generally associate with Bipolar disorder.
He doesn't have to be at a traffic intersection with a pair of panties on his head wielding a samurai sword to be diagnosed bipolar.

Sounds like he was pretty up front he has a problem of some sort, per Peter King:

Pick 60, Dallas: Randy Gregory, defensive end/outside linebacker, Nebraska. My first thought after this pick: Rod Marinelli’s going to have Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory in his defensive team meeting room. Hope he’s ready. The Cowboys honestly considered Gregory in the first round, too, before going for another need guy, cornerback Byron Jones of UConn. When it got close to pick 60, I’m told a serious conversation wasn’t needed; Gregory was such a strong candidate as a player that Dallas was willing to work with him on his marijuana history, and his history of depression and anxiety, according to SI.com’s Don Banks. Other reports say Gregory was either bipolar or had some other personality disorder that made it difficult for him to focus on football, or anything, for long periods. Gregory, without question, was a top-10 value on talent alone. But he tumbled down so many draft boards because of his marijuana use and uncertainty over his illnesses. Now the 65-year-old Marinelli will ride herd on Hardy and Gregory, two players most teams in the league wouldn’t let in the front door of their buildings. Now whether the talent can stay on the field, and on the roster, is the big test for Marinelli and coach Jason Garrett.

And for the Jones family. On Sunday night, I spoke with Cowboys COO Stephen Jones, who was on the front line of the Gregory decision over the past month:

The MMQB: When did you first think you might be seriously interested in Gregory?

Jones: Our scouts come in every year and present to our coaches and staff, and that happened three-and-a-half, four weeks ago. Obviously, he tested positive at the combine; that came out. But on football alone, he was our top-rated pass-rusher, so we rolled up our sleeves and got after and tried to figure out what his situation was, exactly. So we asked him to come in, and every team in the NFL figured maybe he would drop in the draft, so every team, it seemed like, wanted him to come in. He was overwhelmed by it. But he did come in to see us. On that visit, I thought the wonderful thing about him was his transparency. He was an open book. He told us everything. He has an illness, and he knows he has to stay on top of it every day. He said, ‘Here is what I’m taking. Here is how I’m handling it.’ There is nothing he wouldn’t share. We realized how good a player he was, but we also realized there is risk here. There is risk for sure.

The MMQB: Did you consider him in the first round? I heard you did.

Jones: I think in this day and time, we want our first-round pick to be clean. That’s how we operated here.

The MMQB: You’re used to this, though. I think a lot of teams look at the Cowboys as the halfway house of the NFL, willing to take chances on guys other teams won’t take risks on.

Jones: A lot of times, we have successes with these players. A lot of times we don’t. Quite honestly, Dez Bryant had some things that scared us even more than Randy. But with the successes we have had—with Charles Haley, with Dez—the common thing is that when the guy gets between the lines, he’s competitive. Real competitive.

The MMQB: Rod Marinelli seems like a my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy. Was he on board with Gregory?

Jones: Absolutely. He is my way or the highway. He has said to us before about certain players, ‘I don’t think I can work with this guy.’ But if they love football, and if they fight their ass off in practice and in games, he can work with them. And he wants them.

The MMQB: Is there a limit, though? A limit to risks that you take with players like Hardy and Gregory?

Jones: Absolutely. You can’t just do it all the time. It’s got to be worth it. A player like Randy Gregory, he doesn’t become available down in the draft to us unless there’s unique circumstances. I think our team, and our coaching staff, and our organization, has grown to be able to accept it. We’ve got a culture with leaders everywhere, leaders who can absorb this and help these guys. But we understand the risk. We think it’s worth it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Seems he plans on staying a Cowboy for awhile

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Jesus, if we can actually get Gregory and Hardy on the field at the same time, this D is going to be filthy.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I can see a guy wanting/needing a support structure because a lot of players his age are still hanging out with the wrong crowd, if he wants to distance himself from that scene and act like an adult, I can appreciate the willingness to change.
IT may also be he realizes the large change NFL money and lifestyle will bring and understands help will be beneficial. We can all hope that is the case. I posted during the draft I wasn't in favor of this pick but I respectfully withdraw my negativity. I hope he makes my unwillingness to originally support this pick look amazingly foolish!

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
IT may also be he realizes the large change NFL money and lifestyle will bring and understands help will be beneficial. We can all hope that is the case. I posted during the draft I wasn't in favor of this pick but I respectfully withdraw my negativity. I hope he makes my unwillingness to originally support this pick look amazingly foolish!
I'm still waiting for you to tell us why he can't put on weight in Dallas. :art

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

That or getting a collection of NFL logos? :shrug

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
My thought was Nebraska was notorious for having their players on steroids and getting their weight up. How many lost weight when they came to the NFL and then were out within a few years. Sort a facetious, but sort of not.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My thought was Nebraska was notorious for having their players on steroids and getting their weight up. How many lost weight when they came to the NFL and then were out within a few years. Sort a facetious, but sort of not.
That was back in the Tom Osborne days. Guys like Steinkuhler and Noonan would come out of there as steroid monsters.

It has changed drastically in the last 20 years.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

This is actually... kind of disturbing. Seems like a "guy with serious mood swings" thing to do.

Top Bottom