Week 8 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Seahawks| 11/1/2015

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Close it out: Jason Garrett sucks as a head coach. Period. Ending. He is a bag toting figure head, period. He is no more qualified or competent than Dave Campo. Period.

I don't care where he went to college. I don't care what miracles he may have achieved as a backup. I don't care what his Kinsey IQ test results are. I don't care what positions he has held, I care about the state of the team today. He is not. Getting it done. Is it all his fault? No. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach at the NFL or any level. It's clear he was anointed without reason. He was the response to Sean Payton's successes at NO after being allowed to walk. He was a desperation move to continue a nonexistent legacy.

It isn't Garrett's fault though. It's not his fault he isn't a competent head coach, it's the fault of the front office's incessant insistence that he is, that he's just had bad luck and that they will tow the line come hell or high water until it is blatantly obvious that he is not the man for the job. When will that be? Who knows? When Romo and Witten, the franchise safety nets finally call it a career? When the "best in the NFL OL" departs via free agency?

The problems with this team aren't short term personnel issues, it's long term vision. Anyone over the age of forty can see that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Does anyone still think that bringing in Cassel was going to make a difference? He is as much a loser as who he replaced. In fact I dare say the guy he replaced may have done a better job the way the coaching staff used both of them. I expected no difference and that's exactly what was delivered.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Does anyone still think that bringing in Cassel was going to make a difference? He is as much a loser as who he replaced. In fact I dare say the guy he replaced may have done a better job the way the coaching staff used both of them. I expected no difference and that's exactly what was delivered.
You have to do something. Just sticking with Weeden wasnt accomplishing anything so a change was needed. It hasnt worked out but sticking with what you know was failing is not really the smartest thing to do.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What gets me about Garrett is just his inability to ever learn from either his experiences or his mistakes.

No matter how many times he sees something fail, or how many times he sees a certain scenario or situation go a certain way, it doesn't make him any more wiser for the next time around. Whether it's time management, personnel issues, in-game situations, etc., the man just never handles any of those things better today than he did 8 years ago when he became the offensive coordinator.

The man has absolutely no feel for the ebb and flow of a football game. As Booze said, he has no understanding of momentum or when you reach critical points in a game when certain steps are required.

That to me is his biggest flaw of all - his simply inability to never progress or evolve. I don't know how someone can spend so much time involved in something and yet be none the wiser for it.

I don't know shit about fixing cars, but if I hung around a mechanic shop everyday for the next year, I'm sure I'd learn a few things on fixing cars along the way. It's basically a natural learning and adaptation mechanism that we all have as human beings.

Unfortunately, this fundamental trait seems to have avoided Garrett altogether.....at least when it comes to the game of football.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Cassell was significantly better than Weeden in the Giants game. The problem is, he is what he is and so he's going to have his faults.

Cassell wasn't the biggest issue today. The problem is that the coaches played not to lose because he threw 3 picks last week and it scared them to death. But when you're already at great risk to lose, it makes no sense to continue to play it so close to the vest.

Cassell may not be good, but only a moron would actually think there is no difference between he and Weeden.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You have to do something. Just sticking with Weeden wasnt accomplishing anything so a change was needed. It hasnt worked out but sticking with what you know was failing is not really the smartest thing to do.
I agree that something needed to be done but my point is acquiring Cassel wasn't going to fix anything. It was a pointless move especially since there was a QB on the roster that Linehan apparently has some confidence in. Why not try him? If they don't have any confidence in him why is he on the roster? The whole process really stinks. Bottom line for me was I felt certain Cassel was a complete waste of time and even if he can do better he wasn't allowed to so again why bring him in.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cassell was significantly better than Weeden in the Giants game. The problem is, he is what he is and so he's going to have his faults.

Cassell wasn't the biggest issue today. The problem is that the coaches played not to lose because he threw 3 picks last week and it scared them to death. But when you're already at great risk to lose, it makes no sense to continue to play it so close to the vest.

Cassell may not be good, but only a moron would actually think there is no difference between he and Weeden.
So why is he here if they are going to muzzle him? It's a complete waste picking him up if you turn him loose and he screws the pooch as he did then turn around and restrain him. It's a senseless endeavour period.

data

Forbes #1
It was a pointless move especially since there was a QB on the roster that Linehan apparently has some confidence in. Why not try him? If they don't have any confidence in him why is he on the roster? The whole process really stinks.
Agreed - the mistake was made this past offseason. We saw what Weeden delivered in 2014 during the Cardinals game. Our management rolled the dice and decided they could live with that.

Romo was tough enough to only miss 1.5 games last year.

That gamblin' came back to bite us this year with a 9-game absence.

We made this bed.

data

Forbes #1
Here's what's stupid about the QB helmet penalty rule. How many QB injuries have resulted from getting hand-slapped in the head?

Eliminate driving the QB into the ground? I get it.
Eliminate hitting the QB below the knees? I get it.

data

Forbes #1
Once Jerruh passes on, you think he'll get into the Ring of Honor?

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
This may end up being a good thing if our management doesn't screw it up. I cant remember the last time Romo played a full year and yet we never draft a replacement. We aren't winning another game without Romo not one. What we have to hope is that Jerry doesn't screw it up and insert Romo back in at 2-8. Take the loss and draft a QB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So why is he here if they are going to muzzle him? It's a complete waste picking him up if you turn him loose and he screws the pooch as he did then turn around and restrain him. It's a senseless endeavour period.
I agree, and that's the question we're all asking.

What is the point in giving up resources for a guy and/or playing him over Weeden if you're going to ask him to do the same thing you asked Weeden to do?

It's just one of the many head-scratching decisions made by this staff.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree that something needed to be done but my point is acquiring Cassel wasn't going to fix anything. It was a pointless move especially since there was a QB on the roster that Linehan apparently has some confidence in. Why not try him? If they don't have any confidence in him why is he on the roster? The whole process really stinks. Bottom line for me was I felt certain Cassel was a complete waste of time and even if he can do better he wasn't allowed to so again why bring him in.
Again, you're asking questions that we all want the answers to.

The Cowboys continuously make decisions that leave you puzzled. We all saw that Weeden was worthless last year, and yet, they still decided to bring him back as the primary backup.

To answer your question specifically, they realized late in the game what we all already knew last year - that Weeden wasn't going to cut it so they made a desperate attempt to bring in someone that they hoped might be able to help.

It's the kind of move an organization makes when they don't have a plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, you're asking questions that we all want the answers to.

The Cowboys continuously make decisions that leave you puzzled. We all saw that Weeden was worthless last year, and yet, they still decided to bring him back as the primary backup.

To answer your question specifically, they realized late in the game what we all already knew last year - that Weeden wasn't going to cut it so they made a desperate attempt to bring in someone that they hoped might be able to help.

It's the kind of move an organization makes when they don't have a plan.
If this was the shit offense we wanted to run should have just gone with Kellen Moore from the begining.

data

Forbes #1
Fuck you all. We tried the HB Pass play. Obviously the coaching staff is trying.

I don't know what more you all expect.

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is an 8-8 franchise. Last year's 12-4 was the outlier. I imagine we will get to 4-12 because for no good franchise reason we will stick Romo back in there and he will Houdini 2 more wins. Like the Colts without Manning, Romo should get some retro MVP votes for what he alone has done for this team. They are literally hopeless without him.

12 points at home, 3 of which were gift wrapped by the most talented defensive player we've had in a decade.

What a debacle.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
As bad as we have played I think we win one if we would have stuck with Weeden. With Weeden we were atleast moving the ball without a run game. Cassel just flat out blows. How can you throw for under 100 yards in an NFL game? Romo inst going undefeated. Tank time...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As bad as we have played I think we win one if we would have stuck with Weeden. With Weeden we were atleast moving the ball without a run game. Cassel just flat out blows. How can you throw for under 100 yards in an NFL game?
I'm done blaming the QBs for the shit game plan. Cassell doesn't go from last week to this one without bad coaching.

As bad as we have played I think we win one if we would have stuck with Weeden. With Weeden we were atleast moving the ball without a run game. Cassel just flat out blows. How can you throw for under 100 yards in an NFL game? Romo inst going undefeated. Tank time...
Weeden didn't move shit, did you forget the Patriots game? One or two drives doesn't count. That fucker doesn't even look past 5 yards. We have shit for backup QBs, but the biggest issue is coaching

Top Bottom