2015 NFL Draft Chatter Thread 4/30-5/2

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They were saying that there was a late report released on Cummings that said that there was a bad stress fracture in his foot... so???
I didn't like Clemmings but yeah it's an injury that has caused him to plummet.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am worried about the RB situation as much as anybody but after Johnson I think the special ones are gone.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Clearly we didn't have a 5th round grade on the guy. If our scouts put a third round grade on him I have no problem with the pick. Especially if Ajayi's knee is a concern. I'd rather have a swing tackle who may be able to replace Free down the road as opposed to a RB who burns out in 2 years.
We clearly didn't have late round grades on guys we reached for like Arkin, Matt Johnson, Skyler Green, Robert Brewster, , etc , etc either when the consensus did have late grades on them.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I think we fell in love with the guys technique, which seems solid. To bad professional football athletes will eat him alive.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Maybe Green sucks, we sure don't have a confidence inspiring history with mid round OLs, but if we just got Doug Free's successor, I have no problems at all with that pick. Future starter.

You don't draft for immediate need. You draft so you have players in your pipeline when Free gets old, that way you don't have a situation where you are forcing Rob Petitti into a starting role.

Taking a starting OT prospect in the third round 2-3 years before actually needing that player to start is both excellent thinking ahead as well as impressive commitment to ensuring the OL remains a dominant unit. Which is certainly more paramount than taking a fringe RB or maybe a guy with knee problems. Not only that but swing tackle is a important game day need as well so he saves a big veteran contract there and does actually fill an immediate need that otherwise would have had to be addressed with a veteran.

Again, my biggest complaint is that I liked other tackles better. I don't know much about Green -- maybe he's a whiff. But I don't blame the process of taking your future OT over a marginal RB, not in the slightest.
:golfclap :buddy

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Maybe Green sucks, we sure don't have a confidence inspiring history with mid round OLs, but if we just got Doug Free's successor, I have no problems at all with that pick. Future starter.

You don't draft for immediate need. You draft so you have players in your pipeline when Free gets old, that way you don't have a situation where you are forcing Rob Petitti into a starting role.
I'm about drafting for value, not need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess I should have expected the kick to the fucking nuts after getting a brief high with Gregory.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Taking a starting OT prospect in the third round 2-3 years before actually needing that player to start is both excellent thinking ahead as well as impressive commitment to ensuring the OL remains a dominant unit. Which is certainly more paramount than taking a fringe RB or maybe a guy with knee problems. Not only that but swing tackle is a important game day need as well so he saves a big veteran contract there and does actually fill an immediate need that otherwise would have had to be addressed with a veteran.

Again, my biggest complaint is that I liked other tackles better. I don't know much about Green -- maybe he's a whiff. But I don't blame the process of taking your future OT over a marginal RB, not in the slightest.
I think Green will eventually become our starting RT in 2-3 years, I still would've went Ajayi though, unless he's off the board due to the injury. If we had gotten Green in the 5th or something I'd have been very happy, but I don't really like taking him at this spot with a potential starter in Ajayi still sitting there.

We are def going Buck Allen in the 4th though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We valued swing tackle over RB.

We are saying, right now, McFadden and shithead Randle are going to be the guys.

Yep, a swing tackle in the third fucking round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We clearly didn't have late round grades on guys we reached for like Arkin, Matt Johnson, Skyler Green, Robert Brewster, , etc , etc either when the consensus did have late grades on them.
Anthony Hitchens. But yeah name guys that came before our current scouting department was in place. Every OT according to the consensus has gone higher then they should have in this draft. Ever wonder if maybe the media consensus is just wrong?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. Green wasn't BPA. He was drafted for need. Meanwhile, our much bigger need at RB remains fallow.
So wait we did or didn't draft for need. If RB is our biggest need and we were drafting for need, wouldn't we have taken a RB?:shrug

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I thought this was Robert Brewster I'd be pissed.

But if he's a future starting OT then to say he's a swing tackle is incorrect. If he's a future starting OT then he's better than any RB left with the possible exception of Ajayi -- but he is currently in free fall for medical issues.

Top Bottom