Phillips - Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have gotten off track. All these moves were done after Murray left so he isnt even part of the thought process. I am just thinking out loud as to what i think about the subsequent moves could mean and you suddenly become the defender of the front office as if no one is allowed to formulate an idea. Just quit being the hall monitor for peoples opinions.
I think we did what we did so that we don't feel the need to reach for a RB in this draft. I still think we are highly interested in a RB but I also don't think Jerry is going to sell out to get one in the first couple rounds.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we did what we did so that we don't feel the need to reach for a RB in this draft. I still think we are highly interested in a RB but I also don't think Jerry is going to sell out to get one in the first couple rounds.
I have the same opinion. The moves that were made indicate to me that the organization doesnt seem to be targeting a high draft RB but time will tell.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's everyone's feeling on Carl Davis?
I love him. He was a force at Iowa. What people don't always realize is that Iowa does a ton of two gaping across the entire D-line. So part of the reason his numbers don't jump off the charts is because he was basically doing the occupy and engage shit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Pass rush >>>>>>>> RB
Not buying it. We went 12-4 with one of the NFLs worst pass rushes because we had a dynamic play-making RB and running game.

I don't even think pass rushers are hard to find. Most of the pass rushers seem to come from random rounds. Greg Hardy is a perfect example.

The position that matters most is the defensive interior. You can draft James Harrison In the 6th when you have a monster like Casey Hampton up front. I will be pissed if Washington ends up with Leonard Williams because Mariota suddenly got overhyped. Williams is going to make his entire team better immediately and for years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ravidubey said:
I don't even think pass rushers are hard to find. Most of the pass rushers seem to come from random rounds. Greg Hardy is a perfect example.
You contradict yourself. On one hand you say pass rushers are easy to find. On the other you say they are spread out all over the draft. If they are spread out all the draft they would inherently be hard to find. They are extremely hard to find, hence their high value.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He could hardly gimp down the open field much less any pocket. He should have been a sitting duck.
It still galls me that Marinelli was too stubborn to draw up one blitz to put pressure on him in a key situation. A strip sack or an injury to Rodgers could have swung the game our way easily.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It still galls me that Marinelli was too stubborn to draw up one blitz to put pressure on him in a key situation. A strip sack or an injury to Rodgers could have swung the game our way easily.
That's the way i see it as well. If Rodgers had been neutralized early I feel certain the outcome would have been different.

townsend

Banned
Not buying it. We went 12-4 with one of the NFLs worst pass rushes because we had a dynamic play-making RB and running game.

The position that matters most is the defensive interior. You can draft James Harrison In the 6th when you have a monster like Casey Hampton up front. I will be pissed if Washington ends up with Leonard Williams because Mariota suddenly got overhyped. Williams is going to make his entire team better immediately and for years.
I think your small pass rushers (250-265lbs) are easier to come by. Finding a guy like Watt/Williams/Peppers who have some mass and can pass rush/push the line is difficult in the later rounds.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You contradict yourself. On one hand you say pass rushers are easy to find. On the other you say they are spread out all over the draft. If they are spread out all the draft they would inherently be hard to find. They are extremely hard to find, hence their high value.
QB, WR, and planet prospects. Those are hard to find and rarely come from later rounds.

Pass rushers are found in every round of the draft, so [CORRECTION] hence it's *as easy* to find them as almost any other position except the above. A good amount of pass rushing skill can also be taught, so players who weren't pass rushers in college take to it in the pros when they get the right training.

Like most positions about half of elite pass rushers come from early rounds and the other half from the remainder of the draft.

Not so with QB, WR, and LTs/DTs. At these positions the elites are almost all 1st and 2nd rounders.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think your small pass rushers (250-265lbs) are easier to come by. Finding a guy like Watt/Williams/Peppers who have some mass and can pass rush/push the line is difficult in the later rounds.
Hardy was one, but yeah, that's a once in a decade find in the late rounds.

Top Bottom