Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks like a home run draft to me.
First three rounds are excellent.

Then we ruin it with garbage like Mannion.

But I bet if it came down to it, we'd never draft Nelson and would take a POS like Mannion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
First three rounds are excellent.

Then we ruin it with garbage like Mannion.

But I bet if it came down to it, we'd never draft Nelson and would take a POS like Mannion.
It's the fifth round. I don't like him but it's hard to get that worked up over the fifth with a first 4 that strong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
MEL KIPERS 3 ROUNDS FOR THE COWBOYS

Dallas Cowboys

Top needs: CB, RB, DT, S

Round 1 (27) CB Byron Jones, UConn
Round 2 (60) DT Michael Bennett, Ohio St.
Round 3 (91) RB Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.

Analysis: There's already a need at cornerback -- you can't have enough if you expect to play with some leads -- and that's before we have a resolution on Brandon Carr's contract situation. Jones is one of the biggest sleepers in the draft, a cornerback with the ability to handle safety, an extraordinary athlete with very good instincts. He's also a great kid. While I want to address the defensive line, I just don't want to pass on Jones at this point. In Round 2, we get Bennett, a player with the ability to beat blockers inside and be a disruptor, and I really like the value at that point. I think Bennett has been surpassed by high-upside defensive tackles, but few players have as much quality tape as he has going back through his sophomore and junior seasons. The Cowboys have a need at running back, but what they don't need to do is spend early on a running back because it's going to be hard for a competent runner not to succeed behind the Dallas offensive line. Langford is sneaky-explosive (he's played WR and CB) and has sub-4.4 speed. While he's not a bruiser, you do need to square him up, and I think in Dallas he'll see creases and be able to break off some big runs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:budd

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think all three of those are pet cats of Booze.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol Does he hate Bennett too? That's the only pick out of that group that I like. I think he is a nice fit for the 3 technique spot in our defense and would be able to rotate in heavily at DT with Crawford and next to Crawford in passing situations.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol Does he hate Bennett too? That's the only pick out of that group that I like. I think he is a nice fit for the 3 technique spot in our defense and would be able to rotate in heavily at DT with Crawford and next to Crawford in passing situations.
I'm pretty sure he does. Maybe not as much as the other two but I'm pretty sure he and Simp debated Bennet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nope. No wikey Langford. Bennett I can't make up my mind about. I just dunno why he's not getting as much interest as a lot of the other DTs.

Cotton

Staff member
I would literally wake up screaming if that is our haul through the first 3 rounds.

Cotton

Staff member
In his latest 2 round mock, Daniel Jeremiah of nfl.com has us taking:

27: Kevin Johnson
60: T.J. Yeldon

D

Deuce

I can't see it, but am reading McShay's new mock is out today and has Gurley going really high. Charles Robinson has since tweeted that he's talked to team and many believe Gurley will be a top 10 guy.

Not sure if it's just tons of smoke or what, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of...???

:budd
Oh it could get worse, so much worse. At least in that scenario you're getting two starters in the first two rounds at positions of need. Kevin Johnson doesn't wow me but I at least think he will be a good corner. There are some scarier options.

Top Bottom