Fisher: 'Jerry Draft Plans' Memes Feed Foolish Cowboys Myths

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Speaking of myths, I always enjoy the ones about how the cap doesn't matter. When you restructure basically every eligible player on the roster, you aren't cap healthy.

Having cap issues is the reason Ware is gone. They basically had to cut him that year
Yeah, one of the things Fisher goes on and on about that makes me want to strangle him.

Cotton

Staff member
I think it's a total myth and fabrication that Jerry drafts to sell tickets. If that were the case he never would have drafted 3 first round offensive lineman. He wouldn't have passed on Randy Moss for Greg Ellis.

There is basically no history to back up the idea that Jerry drafts with the idea that it will help him market the team or sell tickets. Jerry doesn't need help to do those things. Jerry wanted Johnny Manziel because he thought he was a special talent. Plain and simple.
He has acquired many players that bolstered ticket/merchandise sales. TO, Dez, Roy Williams, Deion, etc. Until the last few drafts he has been notorious for taking "flashy" players over practical pieces.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, one of the things Fisher goes on and on about that makes me want to strangle him.
It is funny seeing all the massive cap space in the NFL these days. It's because teams routinely aren't even spending the full amount of the cap. Teams like the Jaguars with like 70 mil in cap space. It's almost comical at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has acquired many players that bolstered ticket/merchandise sales. TO, Dez, Roy Williams, Deion, etc. Until the last few drafts he has been notorious for taking "flashy" players over practical pieces.
You named 2 draft picks. One of which was Dez Bryant who was possibly the biggest steal in the first round of that draft. We didn't take him for ticket sales, we took him for talent. Roy Williams went exactly in the area he was projected and as much as we make fun of him he was an elite player for a little while. There is no reason to believe we drafted him simply to "sell tickets."

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
You named 2 draft picks. One of which was Dez Bryant who was possibly the biggest steal in the first round of that draft. We didn't take him for ticket sales, we took him for talent.
Acquired is the word I used. Showing a propensity for bringing in high profile players is something Jerry is know for doing. Better?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Acquired is the word I used. Showing a propensity for bringing in high profile players is something Jerry is know for doing. Better?
Sure, and I've been talking about the draft. Which is where people think Jerry goes batshit crazy and wants to draft guys because "gee golly gash darn I'll sell more tickets."

Jerry knows winning sells tickets. Jerry acquires guys because he thinks they will win games for him. It's nonsense to think the reason he wanted Manziel was that he would sell tickets from the bench.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:flip @ Booze for posting a Fisher article

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So Booze is Jerry?

:tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry knows winning sells tickets. Jerry acquires guys because he thinks they will win games for him. It's nonsense to think the reason he wanted Manziel was that he would sell tickets from the bench.
Oh bullshit.

If he believed it was talent, then you should be more scared.

Jones is not hellbent to make sure his picks are marketable. But if he can do both, he certainly will take that.

He thinks way more on the business side than the talent and winning side.

He takes more pride on his fucking stadium than he does on the product he puts in it to play.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh bullshit.

If he believed it was talent, then you should be more scared.

Jones is not hellbent to make sure his picks are marketable. But if he can do both, he certainly will take that.

He thinks way more on the business side than the talent and winning side.

He takes more pride on his fucking stadium than he does on the product he puts in it to play.
Yep.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So who is this super marketable guy that Jerry is supposed to want this year instead of a QB. Ramsey? Jack? That's a massive yawn in both cases. A QB is more exciting than a position player that would go in the middle the first round of most drafts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So who is this super marketable guy that Jerry is supposed to want this year instead of a QB. Ramsey? Jack? That's a massive yawn in both cases. A QB is more exciting than a position player that would go in the middle the first round of most drafts.
A backup QB versus the super athletic kick ass LBer in Jack or the Swiss Army Knife DB like Ramsey?

Gee, I dunno who would be more marketable.

Jones will find a way.

The argument he only takes the marketable guy is a convenient straw man for Fisher to dash through and proclaim victory.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
A backup QB versus the super athletic kick ass LBer in Jack or the Swiss Army Knife DB like Ramsey?

Jones will find a way.

The argument he only takes the marketable guy is a convenient straw man for Fisher to dash through and proclaim victory.
4-3 OLB and DB with no hands, yeah that's super exciting. QB is a glamour position and backup QB/QB of the future drives speculation, interest, and debate. Everyone will want to see the new guy in camp and preseason, and everyone will speculate on Romo's window, his contract, and whether he can stay healthy enough to stave off the new guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jones will find a way.

But Manziel as a backup QB is so super marketable. Your logic doesn't work on this one.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Johnny Football was in his crosshairs because he was a marketing goldmine if he had landed with the cowboys, at least until he imploded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Heisman winner from the state of Texas?

Oh yeah, nothing marketable there. You are right.
So Jerry would draft a guy strictly for marketing. But he has to be from Texas and a heisman winner? Well hell, it's amazing Vince Young wasn't brought to Dallas. Afterall it's not like Jerry cares about the talent. All he wants is marketing!!!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Johnny Football was in his crosshairs because he was a marketing goldmine if he had landed with the cowboys, at least until he imploded.
No offense but either a backup QB is a marketing goldmine or they aren't. Guys like Wentz and Goff would be just as much of a marketing goldmine.

But it's ridiculous to think Jerry wanted him just because he could market him. Believe it or not our scouts had Manziel highly ranked on our board. Which is why Jerry wanted him. Speaking of Jerry wanting a QB, you guys have all seen the video of Jerry doing the creepy wink at Wentz right?

Top Bottom