Gosselin: I don't think Cowboys draft QB at No. 4

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well if he was a slam dunk stud he would be the number one overall pick. But Wentz checks off most of the boxes you want in a QB. Size, arm strength, quick release, tremendous athletic ability, great leadership skills and experience playing under center. I'm actually not that worried about his level of competition. The only thing that worries me about him is his ability to go through progressions quickly and find the open guy. He has such a big arm that his tendency is to just go to his first read and fit the ball in. With Dez that may work. Because when he is covered he is still really open if you put the ball in the right spot. But I'd like to see Wentz move off his initial target on to number two or three who may be wide open. It's a skill that can easily develop over time. But some QB's just never develop it. Everything else about Wentz I love.
I do not know if that is a skill that's easily developed I think it's something you can do by now or you will always have issues.

I am not saying you have to be great at it but I think you nave to have shown that ability by now.

I saw some of that on his game film but he did not look very natural in the Senior Bowl.

stubbie

Not So New Member
I do not know if that is a skill that's easily developed I think it's something you can do by now or you will always have issues.

I am not saying you have to be great at it but I think you nave to have shown that ability by now.

I saw some of that on his game film but he did not look very natural in the Senior Bowl.
Senior Bowl is not a good judge of his abilities. WRs dropped a lot of balls. Kid has the tools, has won 2 national championships in a row. It would be great if he could sit behind someone like Romo and learn.
Now, before someone says, yeah but that was in FCS. Hey guys, I am referring more to the winning mentality. You sometimes have to learn how to win. This kid has.
Not saying he is my first choice, but I would not throw things if he was. At this point...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I think Romo has improved a lot over time when it comes to going through his reads.

stubbie

Not So New Member
I think Romo has improved a lot over time when it comes to going through his reads.
It is most certainly something that gets better with time. Many just don't last long enough to get the time. Romo is basically a coach on the field now. He just couldn't stay on the field last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, to me it's something that can only be improved through repetition but it absolutely can be improved through repetition.

But like I said, some guys just never seem to develop it. And those guys are probably what Jiggy is kind of looking at as an example. The Senior Bowl game is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about though. He had some drops by his receivers in that game that made him look bad. But those drops in part were due to tight coverage and the receiver just not being capable of making a catch with a defender near by. On some of those exact plays I saw different guys he could have thrown to that we wide open and it would have been an easier catch. In the NFL I expect a receiver to catch those balls and someone like Dez absolutely will. But guys like Terrance Williams might not always.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wentz has NFL ready body...Goff needs to put on some weight.
Here's to hoping that lack of weight scares off the Browns. He probably ends up playing at 215. A little light, but effective.

Wentz looks the part, but the lack of competition bugs me.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, to me it's something that can only be improved through repetition but it absolutely can be improved through repetition.

But like I said, some guys just never seem to develop it. And those guys are probably what Jiggy is kind of looking at as an example. The Senior Bowl game is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about though. He had some drops by his receivers in that game that made him look bad. But those drops in part were due to tight coverage and the receiver just not being capable of making a catch with a defender near by. On some of those exact plays I saw different guys he could have thrown to that we wide open and it would have been an easier catch. In the NFL I expect a receiver to catch those balls and someone like Dez absolutely will. But guys like Terrance Williams might not always.
Yeah that's what I was talking about in the Senior Bowl his continuing to throw into tight coverage, the other QB's seemed to read coverage much better.

Just something to think about when looking at the whole picture.

Top Bottom