Gosselin: I don't think Cowboys draft QB at No. 4

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gosselin: I don't think Cowboys draft QB at No. 4, which could send them into a black hole like after Aikman retired

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist Contact Rick Gosselin on Twitter: @RickGosselinDMN

I believe the Cowboys should select a quarterback with the fourth overall choice of the 2016 NFL draft.

I also believe the Cowboys will not draft a quarterback with that selection.

There are 91,459 reasons for Jerry Jones to draft a pass rusher, cornerback or running back -- anything but a quarterback.

That was the average home attendance for the Cowboys in their 4-12 season in 2015. And the ticket-buying public does not want to hear the words "rebuild" or "future." They want to believe that a healthy Tony Romo and Dez Bryant can propel the Cowboys right back into Super Bowl contention.

They also want to believe that a young pass rusher, cornerback, receiver or runner with that fourth overall pick can enhance the Cowboys as a playoff contender. The ticket buyers want to win now -- not 3-4 years from now. Not at these prices, anyway.

The Oakland Raiders announced that they will be staying in the Bay Area this season with no hike in ticket prices. You can buy a season ticket to the Raiders for as low as $225 in 2016. That won't even get you a full season of blue parking at AT&T Stadium.

Amari Cooper, A.J. Green and Trent Williams were all the fourth overall picks of recent drafts. All are Pro Bowlers. Based on my emails and Twitter feed, that's what Jerry's ticket-buying public would prefer with the fourth overall pick of the 2016 draft -- an impact player who can accelerate the quest for the franchise's first Super Bowl in 21 years. At those prices, these 1-7 home seasons are becoming difficult to stomach.

Drafting a quarterback with the fourth overall pick would be a nod to the future, ensuring that there is an order of succession in place at the most important position in football when Romo is done.

Remember the black hole that occurred when Troy Aikman retired? There was no such plan for succession in place and the Cowboys spun their wheels as a football team with Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe all passing through the quarterbacking turnstile before Romo emerged. The Cowboys went 38-49 in between the Aikman and Romo eras.

Drafting a quarterback at four would ensure that doesn't happen again.

But Jones is already on the record as saying he believes Romo has 4-5 good years left. So how would drafting a quarterback in the first round make the Cowboys a more viable playoff contender -- selecting a player who, in the mind of the team owner, figures to sit a minimum of three years? Drafting a quarterback would require patience.

At 73, Jerry Jones is not a patient man. Romo will be 36 this season. He's not a patient man. Jason Witten will be 34 this season. He's not a patient man. All saw their friend DeMarcus Ware win a Super Bowl ring this month to provide his career an exclamation point. All want a ring of their own. All need a ring of their own to validate their careers, as Ware has done. Their clocks are ticking. Drafting a quarterback with the fourth overall pick would not be a forceful step in that direction.

But I do expect the Cowboys to take a quarterback in the 2016 draft, possibly as early as the third round. There are some interesting prospects on that second tier -- the Kevin Hogans, Dak Prescotts, Jake Cokers and Cody Kesslers. Jones will tell you there will be no rush to develop the young quarterback, that the Cowboys are willing to bring him along just as they brought along Romo in his formative years.

Except that this staff didn't develop Romo. That was the Bill Parcells staff and, in particular, passing game coordinator Sean Payton. Garrett inherited the Pro Bowler Romo as his starting quarterback when he arrived as offensive coordinator in 2007.

Since taking over as head coach in 2010, the Garrett staff has failed to develop any young quarterbacks. The notable casualties of this regime have been Stephen McGee, a draft pick, and Dustin Vaughan, a college free agent. Both arrived with promise but neither improved their skills under this staff and eventually washed out.

So maybe a pass rusher or a cornerback is the way to go with that fourth overall pick. Regardless, it's the direction I now expect the Cowboys to go -- away from quarterback.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Does anyone really think Tony has 4-5 years? I think even Tony knows he is only good for 2-3.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This article tries to make a, point of sorts but there is no reason why the Cowboys can't win now and draft a Quarterback. Because Jones thinks Romo is good for 5 or so years doesn't erase the fact that he also knows Romo can be removed from the game on every offensive play. To imply that Jones can't understand that is a little too presumptuous.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
This article tries to make a, point of sorts but there is no reason why the Cowboys can't win now and draft a Quarterback. Because Jones thinks Romo is good for 5 or so years doesn't erase the fact that he also knows Romo can be removed from the game on every offensive play. To imply that Jones can't understand that is a little too presumptuous.
He hasn't shown in any way that he does understand it.

But, back to the main point - they simply think they are okay at the QB position, with Romo, Moore and possibly a FA veteran. It's the exact same mentality they had last year on running backs. They won't draft a QB at #4, or in any of the early rounds. I've been saying this since we learned what our draft position is. I would about die of shock if they took a QB in the first, second or even third rounds this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

But, back to the main point - they simply think they are okay at the QB position, with Romo, Moore and possibly a FA veteran. It's the exact same mentality they had last year on running backs. They won't draft a QB at #4, or in any of the early rounds. I've been saying this since we learned what our draft position is. I would about die of shock if they took a QB in the first, second or even third rounds this year.
Oh I believe they learned.

They learned depending on shit like Weeden was the wrong idea.

But like everything else, they can identify the problem but aren't smart enough to come up with the right solution.

townsend

Banned
Rodgers was drafted in 05, 4 good years (and 1 bad one) later Brett Favre retired.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But like everything else, they can identify the problem but aren't smart enough to come up with the right solution.
They have said the right things in regards to knowing the right solution. I guess it just depends on if they will actually pull the trigger or not. Knowing the solution and actually doing it are two very different things.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member

If so, would they still be talking 4-5 years viability for Romo? They haven't said or done anything that shows ME that they understand the issue at all. Maybe they do, but I've seen or heard nothing from them to help me believe that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If so, would they still be talking 4-5 years viability for Romo? They haven't said or done anything that shows ME that they understand the issue at all. Maybe they do, but I've seen or heard nothing from them to help me believe that.
So Jerry saying he is comfortable taking a QB at 4 doesn't count? Or admitting that he needs to do more at QB?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Can you put me in your will before draft day.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Romo will be 36 this season. He's not a patient man. Jason Witten will be 34 this season. He's not a patient man.
so we couldn't put together a SB worthy team in their prime, but now it's all gonna magically come together in their declining years. right.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
They are going to want to address the QB position but probably not in the first.

Ramsey with a 2nd or 3rd round QB is looking more likely everyday. It's also about the only way we could actually squander this draft position, so get ready.

townsend

Banned
They are going to want to address the QB position but probably not in the first.

Ramsey with a 2nd or 3rd round QB is looking more likely everyday. It's also about the only way we could actually squander this draft position, so get ready.
I hate how right you probably are.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
so we couldn't put together a SB worthy team in their prime, but now it's all gonna magically come together in their declining years. right.
Which makes me wonder. Does it seem.that teams with older experienced players in key positions win super bowls?

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
So Jerry saying he is comfortable taking a QB at 4 doesn't count? Or admitting that he needs to do more at QB?
I haven't seen that one. I HAVE seen them saying a QB at 4 isn't urgent, or some such. Saying you're "comfortable" taking a QB at 4 isn't anything like saying it's necessary.

Any idiot can see we need to do "more" at the QB spot, providing we interpret "more" as "better."

townsend

Banned
Which makes me wonder. Does it seem.that teams with older experienced players in key positions win super bowls?
The Seahawks were extremely young when they routed Denver. I think it could be said that veteran leadership is a large asset to championship caliber teams, but I think it has a lot more to do with team culture than experience.

For instance the Giants won the super bowl in 2007 immediately after the loss of Barber and Shockey. Who were both skilled and successful veterans, but (if what I've heard is to be believed) locker room dividers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't seen that one. I HAVE seen them saying a QB at 4 isn't urgent, or some such.
Actually what Jerry said is that he doesn't "have to" draft a QB at 4. Which is what you want your GM to say.

Jerry Jones on @1053thefan says he's comfortable taking a quarterback with Cowboys' 4th overall pick

There is other stuff Jerry has said that suggests he would take a QB at 4 this year but this was the first I saw with a quick look.

Jones admitted earlier this season that he needs to put the Cowboys in a better position to succeed at quarterback, if Romo goes down again, and he is expected to make good on that promise this offseason.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Actually what Jerry said is that he doesn't "have to" draft a QB at 4. Which is what you want your GM to say.
Ahh. That explains why I never heard of him saying he was comfortable with drafting one at #4.

The rest of it could mean anything, from his harboring (at the time and still probably now) ideas of Johnny Futon and/or RG3, to just about any other FA out there, to even making a draft in the 3rd or 4th rounds at QB.

Bottom line is he continues to spew the shit about 4-5 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. Leads me to believe he does not see the QB needs as urgent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bottom line is he continues to spew the shit about 4-5 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. Leads me to believe he does not see the QB needs as urgent.
Except that he has also talked about how valuable it would be to draft a QB in the first and let them sit for a few years. There have been lots of indications Jerry is seriously considering a QB at 4. Including his super gay interactions with Wentz at the Senior Bowl.

But who knows, like Jerry said, he doesn't have to take a QB at four. But he also specifically said he is considering it.

Top Bottom