User Tag List

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting race topics . . .

Am I racist because of this? lol

Oh lord help me.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    I had a friend down the street that was autistic - awesome kid. He spent a ton of time at our house because our kids thought he was cool. Instead of being uncomfortable I asked the parents how to handle him. They were happy that o cared so we talked about it a bunch. They are some of our best friends now. I wasn't afraid to ask so we became closer. Matter of fact, the dad worked for me as my lead guy for 3 years.

Isn't it better to just talk about stuff instead of being afraid?
    I hate when people get sensitive about my daughter. They flinch when they hear or say the word retarded. I'm like, dude, it's just a fucking word. I say retarded all the time. I had much rather people just open up and talk about things instead of dancing around it. But, our society has programmed us to be super-sensitive to anything that might even be remotely offensive.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

If you grew up poor, in west Texas and white like me you were very familiar with potatoes, beans, cornbread and fried chicken.
    We still eat red beans and cornbread on Sunday. Like a lot. I still love it even though I have eaten it thousands of times in my life.

It just tastes better now that I want to eat it, instead of having no other choice.

4. The following user likes this post:

1. I've noticed that some black men won't look me in the eye when talking to me. Do they think that I'm judging them? Is it something I'm doing? Maybe they've experienced racism? Why?
    You see that a lot with black athletes in interviews. I thought I read that in some cultures/areas that's considered rude. I always thought maybe it was sort of like how when you just meet a girl and stare in her eyes too long you look like a creeper.

So by not doing that they're actually trying to be respectful... If I got it right.

And on the personal space, it's well known that southern european cultures have smaller personal spaces than northern ones. I always assumed what you're talking about descended from that.
    2014=2009, 2015=2010?

The Garrett Song

You can be raised soley on near items:

Government cheese
    Mac n cheese
    Wieners
    Summer sausage
    Potatoes
    Chicken
    Beans
    Cornbread

White trash rules the day

Whiteness is a weird and nebulous thing. We tend to use it as a catch all for upwardly mobile, assimilated types, of European ancestry. We really mean WASPs when we talk about white people on the whole.

I've had a few interesting conversations about white privilege with my more liberal friends, it's such a silly oversimplification. Most "white privileges" are also enjoyed by assimilated asians and other multi-generation Americans of varying ethnicity (although notably they usually have light skin).

Appalachian hill people don't have very much white privilege at all. Even though they have European roots, I would estimate that somebody coming from the hills would do no better in a job/housing search than someone coming from the inner city.

You can be raised soley on near items:

Government cheese
    Mac n cheese
    Wieners
    Summer sausage
    Potatoes
    Chicken
    Beans
    Cornbread

White trash rules the day
    Summer Sausage... yet another food item that I still love to this day, even though it was the only thing we could afford in the way of "snacks". SS and crackers. Couldn't always afford cheese and my dad was too proud to get govt cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab View Post
    You see that a lot with black athletes in interviews. I thought I read that in some cultures/areas that's considered rude. I always thought maybe it was sort of like how when you just meet a girl and stare in her eyes too long you look like a creeper.

So by not doing that they're actually trying to be respectful... If I got it right.

And on the personal space, it's well known that southern european cultures have smaller personal spaces than northern ones. I always assumed what you're talking about descended from that.
    Interesting.

I know that I've taught my sons how to talk to a man, how to shake a man or woman's hand, making eye contact, how to address different types of people and so on. That is very improtant to me. I noticed that black men generally don't follow this very much. I don't take it personally. I just assumed it was because of of different teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Summer Sausage... yet another food item that I still love to this day, even though it was the only thing we could afford in the way of "snacks". SS and crackers. Couldn't always afford cheese and my dad was too proud to get govt cheese.

Bro, SS and crackers are awesome
    Last edited by skidadl; 04-22-2016 at 02:26 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    Whiteness is a weird and nebulous thing. We tend to use it as a catch all for upwardly mobile, assimilated types, of European ancestry. We really mean WASPs when we talk about white people on the whole.

I've had a few interesting conversations about white privilege with my more liberal friends, it's such a silly oversimplification. Most "white privileges" are also enjoyed by assimilated asians and other multi-generation Americans of varying ethnicity (although notably they usually have light skin).

Appalachian hill people don't have very much white privilege at all. Even though they have European roots, I would estimate that somebody coming from the hills would do no better in a job/housing search than someone coming from the inner city.
    Interesting