User Tag List

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Interesting race topics . . .

A fraternity at California Polytechnic State University was sanctioned by its national organization on Tuesday after students dressed as gang members, including one in blackface, during the college’s annual multicultural event over the weekend.
    Photos first surfaced online on Sunday showing white students from Lambda Chi Alpha outside their fraternity house wearing baggy jeans, gold necklaces and bandannas as they flashed fake gang signs.
    But it was another photo — of a fraternity brother in blackface — that drew swift outrage from both students and officials at the university in San Luis Obispo, Calif., leading to an almost immediate suspension of the chapter, protests on campus and a standing room only meeting with students to address racism at the college.
    On Monday, the college placed Lambda Chi Alpha on interim suspension while it investigated. On Tuesday, the national fraternity office said it had placed the chapter on “limited operations,” sanctions that restrict it from participating in formal activities.
    Those actions have become part of the latest flash point at the Central California university over racist or insensitive incidents on the campus in recent years. At the student meeting on Monday night, several black students said the photos offered proof that they were not welcome on their own campus.

“When I see that picture, it is kind of hard when all of your life you’re told that your skin is ugly, that you look dirty,” said Erica Green, a freshman, according to a video of the meeting. “It doesn’t make me feel that this campus wants people like me here, like I’m appreciated.”
    The Lambda Chi Alpha chapter did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday morning. After the photos began circulating on Twitter and Facebook on Sunday, the fraternity apologized but said they were being misinterpreted.
    The brothers were playing a game with teams represented by colors, the fraternity said, and the student used blackface to show he was on the black team.
    “We are extremely sorry and embarrassed for failing to recognize the racial impacts this brought forth,” the chapter said in the statement. It added: “Although it was not our intention to stir up racial tension, we understand the negative impact this picture had on our peers.”
    ----------------

---------------
    Is this offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    I see the problem here.

Some people don't believe they have to follow direct orders from police officers and then think it's racism when they get the horns.
    Especially when it comes to a person on private property. I can't believe people think they have a right to hang out at a business's private property and use their facilities without making any purchases. Lot's of businesses have a policy about not using the restrooms if you aren't a customer. And no sitting around and waiting doesn't make you a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    A fraternity at California Polytechnic State University was sanctioned by its national organization on Tuesday after students dressed as gang members, including one in blackface, during the college’s annual multicultural event over the weekend.
    Photos first surfaced online on Sunday showing white students from Lambda Chi Alpha outside their fraternity house wearing baggy jeans, gold necklaces and bandannas as they flashed fake gang signs.
    But it was another photo — of a fraternity brother in blackface — that drew swift outrage from both students and officials at the university in San Luis Obispo, Calif., leading to an almost immediate suspension of the chapter, protests on campus and a standing room only meeting with students to address racism at the college.
    On Monday, the college placed Lambda Chi Alpha on interim suspension while it investigated. On Tuesday, the national fraternity office said it had placed the chapter on “limited operations,” sanctions that restrict it from participating in formal activities.
    Those actions have become part of the latest flash point at the Central California university over racist or insensitive incidents on the campus in recent years. At the student meeting on Monday night, several black students said the photos offered proof that they were not welcome on their own campus.

“When I see that picture, it is kind of hard when all of your life you’re told that your skin is ugly, that you look dirty,” said Erica Green, a freshman, according to a video of the meeting. “It doesn’t make me feel that this campus wants people like me here, like I’m appreciated.”
    The Lambda Chi Alpha chapter did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday morning. After the photos began circulating on Twitter and Facebook on Sunday, the fraternity apologized but said they were being misinterpreted.
    The brothers were playing a game with teams represented by colors, the fraternity said, and the student used blackface to show he was on the black team.
    “We are extremely sorry and embarrassed for failing to recognize the racial impacts this brought forth,” the chapter said in the statement. It added: “Although it was not our intention to stir up racial tension, we understand the negative impact this picture had on our peers.”
    ----------------

---------------
    Is this offensive?
    I think blackface is universally recognized as racist.

Apology letter penned by the student:

As a former Cal Poly Lambda Chi Alpha member, I would like to respond to numerous statements made by Cal Poly to the press regarding the Lambda Chi Alpha "blackface" incident, in addition to factual misstatements rampant on social media.
    First and most importantly, I take full responsibility for the lack of judgment I displayed when I painted my face black at a brotherhood event on April 7, 2018. If there's any part of this message to take into consideration, I hope it would be that my ill-informed decision to paint my face black had nothing whatsoever to do with racism or discrimination. Growing up white and privileged, I was truly unaware of how insensitive I was to the racial implications of blackface. I was, in fact, a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha "black team," wore black clothes and painted my face. Dozens of witnesses, text messages leading up to the event, photographs and a video support my unwavering position that I never intended to represent or mimic a black person. I am not in the now infamous gangster photo because that picture depicts members of the yellow team who opted for a gangster theme. I was not on the yellow team, and for that reason, I am not in the photo, nor was I dressed as a gangster.
    When I woke up Sunday morning to learn that "blackface" is of historical racial significance, no words can express my regret and horror. I began researching on my laptop and learned that blackface was used in early theater to perpetuate racial stereotypes. I knew immediately that I had made a grave mistake, and moreover, I fully understood why people would hate me. My own lack of awareness has placed my life in danger and worse, has hurt other people whom I had no intention of alienating, mocking or offending in any way. My life has been threatened, lies about me are permeating social media, and justifiably so.
    Although social media and editorials in the Mustang News have dismissed my explanation as "pathetic" and "false," the explanation is true and supported by evidence I have supplied to the University. I am not, nor have I ever been, a racist, and contrary to some reports, I have never been involved in any kind of discriminatory incident. I am not sorry simply because I "was caught." I am sorry because I have given other students the impression they can indiscriminately be made fun of because of their race or appearance. In my own mind, I was simply "going all out" in my theme as a member of the black team. Believe me, I wish with all my heart that I had been a member of the blue team.
    Second, the press, social media, a new Cal Poly parents'
    facebook page and editorials to the Mustang News have portrayed me as a tried and true racist. They have argued that the concepts of the "benefit of the doubt" and "there are two-sides to every story" do not apply to me because there is no excuse for "blackface." I agree. There is no excuse for blackface; I truly did not know the historical ramifications of it on April 7. I do now.
    I understand there will be a diversity march on Friday, April 13, 2018. I'm very open to a dialogue with anyone or any student group who would like to discuss increased diversity awareness within the Greek system and the school as a whole. I'm confident that increased awareness and education is the key to preventing the type of hurt I have caused. Ultimately, I cannot control what is said or believed about me in the press and social media. For my part, all I can do now is express my sincerest apologies to those whom I have hurt. My actions stemmed from ignorance, but never hate, discrimination or the intent to hurt anyone.

Kyler Watkins

Kyler has to be the frattest name that ever fratted.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    So, honest question, if a black person were to paint their face white, would that be racist?
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    Apology letter penned by the student:

As a former Cal Poly Lambda Chi Alpha member, I would like to respond to numerous statements made by Cal Poly to the press regarding the Lambda Chi Alpha "blackface" incident, in addition to factual misstatements rampant on social media.
    First and most importantly, I take full responsibility for the lack of judgment I displayed when I painted my face black at a brotherhood event on April 7, 2018. If there's any part of this message to take into consideration, I hope it would be that my ill-informed decision to paint my face black had nothing whatsoever to do with racism or discrimination. Growing up white and privileged, I was truly unaware of how insensitive I was to the racial implications of blackface. I was, in fact, a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha "black team," wore black clothes and painted my face. Dozens of witnesses, text messages leading up to the event, photographs and a video support my unwavering position that I never intended to represent or mimic a black person. I am not in the now infamous gangster photo because that picture depicts members of the yellow team who opted for a gangster theme. I was not on the yellow team, and for that reason, I am not in the photo, nor was I dressed as a gangster.
    When I woke up Sunday morning to learn that "blackface" is of historical racial significance, no words can express my regret and horror. I began researching on my laptop and learned that blackface was used in early theater to perpetuate racial stereotypes. I knew immediately that I had made a grave mistake, and moreover, I fully understood why people would hate me. My own lack of awareness has placed my life in danger and worse, has hurt other people whom I had no intention of alienating, mocking or offending in any way. My life has been threatened, lies about me are permeating social media, and justifiably so.
    Although social media and editorials in the Mustang News have dismissed my explanation as "pathetic" and "false," the explanation is true and supported by evidence I have supplied to the University. I am not, nor have I ever been, a racist, and contrary to some reports, I have never been involved in any kind of discriminatory incident. I am not sorry simply because I "was caught." I am sorry because I have given other students the impression they can indiscriminately be made fun of because of their race or appearance. In my own mind, I was simply "going all out" in my theme as a member of the black team. Believe me, I wish with all my heart that I had been a member of the blue team.
    Second, the press, social media, a new Cal Poly parents'
    facebook page and editorials to the Mustang News have portrayed me as a tried and true racist. They have argued that the concepts of the "benefit of the doubt" and "there are two-sides to every story" do not apply to me because there is no excuse for "blackface." I agree. There is no excuse for blackface; I truly did not know the historical ramifications of it on April 7. I do now.
    I understand there will be a diversity march on Friday, April 13, 2018. I'm very open to a dialogue with anyone or any student group who would like to discuss increased diversity awareness within the Greek system and the school as a whole. I'm confident that increased awareness and education is the key to preventing the type of hurt I have caused. Ultimately, I cannot control what is said or believed about me in the press and social media. For my part, all I can do now is express my sincerest apologies to those whom I have hurt. My actions stemmed from ignorance, but never hate, discrimination or the intent to hurt anyone.

Kyler Watkins
    Pathetic that he actually has to issue this type of apology.

Starbucks will close 8,000 US stores May 29 for racial-bias training

Starbucks says it will close its 8,000 company-owned stores in the United States for one afternoon to educate employees about racial bias.

The announcement follows an uproar over the arrest of two black men who were waiting for a friend at a Philadelphia Starbucks last week. The store manager called the police.

The racial bias training will be provided on May 29 to about 175,000 workers.

"I've spent the last few days in Philadelphia with my leadership team listening to the community, learning what we did wrong and the steps we need to take to fix it," Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson said in a statement.

"While this is not limited to Starbucks, we're committed to being a part of the solution," he said. "Closing our stores for racial bias training is just one step in a journey that requires dedication from every level of our company and partnerships in our local communities."

Starbucks says the training will be developed with guidance from experts including former Attorney General Eric Holder.

Sherrilyn Ifill, the president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, and Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, will also help design the program, as will executives from the Equal Justice Initiative and Demos, the progressive think tank.

The experts will also review the effectiveness of the training, Starbucks said.

The two men entered the Starbucks on Thursday and asked to use to the bathroom. An employee told them it was only for paying customers. When they then sat in the store without ordering anything, the manager called police, and the men were arrested for trespassing. No charges were filed.

Johnson met with the two men on Monday and apologized for how they were treated, a company spokesperson said.

The company says the manager who called the police is no longer working at that store. Starbucks would not comment on other reports that she has left the company by mutual agreement.

Separately, a Facebook video taken in January at a Starbucks in California shows a black customer saying that he was not allowed to use the bathroom when a white customer was.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar

2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

It's always funny when the left eats their own
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion