Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No he was not and he coached up some nondescript DB's pretty well.

Name the high draft picks he had to work with outside Woodson and Smith.
Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins (we're talking about when he came back to the team, not his first run in the 90s).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No Tweet.

Just a heads up that ESPNU is currently replaying the Minnesota-Missouri Bowl game so you can get an extended look at Damien Wilson if you're interested.

He's made a couple of nice plays so far. Flashed decent speed and a decent ability to shed blocks.

But he has misread a few runs and Minnesota got gashed up the middle because he guessed wrong.
Yeah, this should be a thread for random Cowboys related chatter in addition to tweets.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Offseason Chatter might be a more concise title.
It will be a thread that stays from year to year. We will have OTA/minicamp/FA type threads for offseason for year to year stuff.

D

Deuce

Some coaches just never get that next promotion. We have seen many elite offensive or defensive coordinators in the NFL who never got the shot to try their hand as a head coach. Some guys just aren't meant to take that next step. That doesn't mean they are bad at their current job.

QB coach is just difficult to judge in my opinion. I mean you usually judge a position coach by the performance of the guys playing that position. For example our DB coach sucks because our DBs continually suck and don't seem to develop at all (Outside of Scandrick). However you can't really judge Wilson purely on Romo's performance. Unless you're starting with a raw young QB and developing them you can't really see the skills of a QB coach. It's why I have no idea if Wilson is doing a good job or not. I definitely think we could improve over Wilson but I'm also not sure he is this massive suck that everyone on this board paints him as.
I think that lack of development of all the young guys under his watch is what's damning.

QC, Hutch, Henson, the wasted 4th rounder from aTm. None got better under him and as pointed out earlier, QC was at least manageable once he was gone and under Parcells/Payton.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think that lack of development of all the young guys under his watch is what's damning.

QC, Hutch, Henson, the wasted 4th rounder from aTm. None got better under him and as pointed out earlier, QC was at least manageable once he was gone and under Parcells/Payton.
Some went to other teams. How did they work out there?

D

Deuce

Some went to other teams. How did they work out there?
There aren't many examples of guys in their late 20's or older who go someone and develop. By then, they are what they are. Wilson was given the best chance to get anything out of them and looked the same when they moved on as they did the day they were signed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There aren't many examples of guys in their late 20's or older who go someone and develop. By then, they are what they are. Wilson was given the best chance to get anything out of them and looked the same when they moved on as they did the day they were signed.
None were pro materiel except Carter and he liked the dope more than football.

D

Deuce

None were pro materiel except Carter and he liked the dope more than football.
Easy for you to make that observation now that they both failed. Prior to picking baseball, both Henson and Hutchinson were considered 1st round caliber players in their drafts. I'd say that means they were pro material in the eyes of many and had they had even adequate coaching, they may have been something.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Easy for you to make that observation now that they both failed. Prior to picking baseball, both Henson and Hutchinson were considered 1st round caliber players in their drafts. I'd say that means they were pro material in the eyes of many and had they had even adequate coaching, they may have been something.
Road apples.

townsend

Banned
I am talking about his overall body of work and neither of those guys really hurt his track record.
That's like talking about Monte Kiffin's "body of work"; if he sucks now, fire him.

Both Jenkins and Newman looked like boobs by the time they left the team. Jenkins had a great season in 2009 but regressed like a mofo afterwards. Our secondary looked like dog shit in 2011. It was probably the worst unit on our team during Campo's second stint.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's like talking about Monte Kiffin's "body of work"; if he sucks now, fire him.

Both Jenkins and Newman looked like boobs by the time they left the team. Jenkins had a great season in 2009 but regressed like a mofo afterwards. Our secondary looked like dog shit in 2011. It was probably the worst unit on our team during Campo's second stint.
If he sucks now has no bearing because he is no longer coaching the Cowboys, how do you fire him?

And nobody is ignoring Kiffin's body of work when discussing if he is a good coach, using this logic both Landry and Johnson suck as coaches as well.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If he sucks now has no bearing because he is no longer coaching the Cowboys, how do you fire him?

And nobody is ignoring Kiffin's body of work when discussing if he is a good coach, using this logic both Landry and Johnson suck as coaches as well.
We're talking about if Wilson is worth keeping on the staff versus going after someone who is good at developing young QBs and you are advocating rehiring Campo. What the hell is going on inside your mind?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We're talking about if Wilson is worth keeping on the staff versus going after someone who is good at developing young QBs and you are advocating rehiring Campo. What the hell is going on inside your mind?
I brought up Campo earlier as an example of how difficult it is to judge coaches based on successes or failure of talented and none talented players. The example was the Sanders era versus the later tenure. There were too many ways to view a coach not just the end result. Blame me.

D

Deuce

I brought up Campo earlier as an example of how difficult it is to judge coaches based on successes or failure of talented and none talented players. The example was the Sanders era versus the later tenure. There were too many ways to view a coach not just the end result. Blame me.
Campo is still a bad example. He had success as a DB coach and helping develop guys like Woodson. He got promoted and was a DC for a Super Bowl winner. Going through the progression of promotions at least speaks to his coaching credibility. Something Wilson doesn't have.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Campo is still a bad example. He had success as a DB coach and helping develop guys like Woodson. He got promoted and was a DC for a Super Bowl winner. Going through the progression of promotions at least speaks to his coaching credibility. Something Wilson doesn't have.
I used his example of being affiliated with good and bad talent which had different results and gives an indication there may be too many variables for a criteria to judge coaches by other than player performance. Your response goes to coaches being promotable which is a different topic.

Jiggyfly

Banned
How am I advocating rehiring Campo?

Towns said Campo sucked as a DB coach I disagree, if that's what you took away well.:shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom