Sabin: Why Cowboys, other NFL teams are eyeing North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Not a quarterback. He wanted that quarterback.

Some red headed kid from North Dakota? Not quite the same pizzazz.
That's the problem, I don't think he can sell as many t-shirts as JFF or RG3 to start off...:picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sad but true. Jerry still thinks Romo is our best chance to win now. So he'll be zeroed in on signing Manziel or RGIII to fill in if Tony goes down again while also wanting to use our high first rounder and a CB or LB who can play immediately to take advantage of this 'window of opportunity'.
Actually Jerry very recently made it clear that he believes backup QB to be an immidiate impact position. I think this season has basically made Jerry give up on the dream of Romo ever playing a full season again. He knows whoever the backup QB is, will be starting next year.

Now that could be a veteran or a rookie, I think Jerry is open to either right now. Jerry saw where the veteran route got him last year. That's why I think we will lean in the direction of a first round QB. All depends how our scouts rank them tough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think we do draft a QB at 4, unless Goff and Lynch are both gone. I think that's why Jerry wanted to tank so badly.

As dumb as Jerry can be, I think he remembers the post-Aikman era all too well and doesn't want to repeat it. I also think he views this as a very talented team that won't be picking this high again, so this is his chance to get a QB he couldn't normally get.

(Oh and nodak... I was just kidding on the punt thing.)
Man, I hope you're right. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

Those years were very painful, so the memory is still strong.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Actually Jerry very recently made it clear that he believes backup QB to be an immidiate impact position. I think this season has basically made Jerry give up on the dream of Romo ever playing a full season again. He knows whoever the backup QB is, will be starting next year.

Now that could be a veteran or a rookie, I think Jerry is open to either right now. Jerry saw where the veteran route got him last year. That's why I think we will lean in the direction of a first round QB. All depends how our scouts rank them tough.
Jerry says a lot of things. We'll see if he actually follows through.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry says a lot of things. We'll see if he actually follows through.
The crazy thing with Jerry is how his beliefs evolve over time. I remember a time when Jerry basically swore off first round WRs as a waste because he believed they took time to develop and by the time you do they are on another team. It's why he traded for them instead.

Jerry says lots of things but he also loves to talk. If you focus on what he is saying right now and ignore his beliefs from even a couple years ago, I think you can get a good idea of what he wants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The crazy thing with Jerry is how his beliefs evolve over time.
He is a fuckin' idiot with no beliefs.

Those things you mistake for actual football and personnel philosophies change like that because he's just repeating what people he is listening to at the time are telling him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Those things you mistake for actual football and personnel philosophies change like that because he's just repeating what people he is listening to at the time are telling him.
Well that is absolutely true. Its why once Parcells was here we still had that damn TE fetish even once Parcells left. Jerry was basically just trying to mimic the philosophy of Parcells because that was the last guy Jerry listened to.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

While this is definitely true it doesn't mean he won't act on whatever philosophy he has in his mind currently, ie drafting a QB in the top 5.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
While this is definitely true it doesn't mean he won't act on whatever philosophy he has in his mind currently, ie drafting a QB in the top 5.
Well, if I read Larry Lacewell saying we need a first round QB I will start believing it a little more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, if I read Larry Lacewell saying we need a first round QB I will start believing it a little more.
That guy makes Jerry look like a youngster. I think Jerry has moved on from Lacewell though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That guy makes Jerry look like a youngster. I think Jerry has moved on from Lacewell though.
He took his recommendation to hire Kiffin just two years ago. I doubt it. He's still on Jones' speed dial.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Jerry's philosophies are fungible.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I just watched the ND vs Ill St championship highlights from 2014. Wentz sure seemed to have a lot of early Tony Romo in him in that he rambled around a fumbled a few times, hjeld the ball far too long and got sacked a few times. He also made some great running plays. Not sure if that was typical or not for him. I'd still like to see him sit behind Tony for two years and then take over.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Well that is absolutely true. Its why once Parcells was here we still had that damn TE fetish even once Parcells left. Jerry was basically just trying to mimic the philosophy of Parcells because that was the last guy Jerry listened to.
And for years after Jimmy left we traded all over the place during the draft because that's what Jimmy did. He allso had to put up the ruse so people it would look like he was in charge from day one and nothing changed just because Jimmy left. The only problem was the results. Trading just for the sake of trading didn't work.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The crazy thing with Jerry is how his beliefs evolve over time. I remember a time when Jerry basically swore off first round WRs as a waste because he believed they took time to develop and by the time you do they are on another team. It's why he traded for them instead.

Jerry says lots of things but he also loves to talk. If you focus on what he is saying right now and ignore his beliefs from even a couple years ago, I think you can get a good idea of what he wants.
Jerry's a moron. I remember all the BS about not wanting first round WRs because they needed time to develop. It's the same BS that got spewed the last 15 yrs regarding drafting a QB early.

Funny how when we finally drafted Dez we didn't need a yr or two for him to start just like Irvin and a slew of first round WRs over the yrs have started from day one.

Jerry just hears and repeats whatever some consultant tells him or many times whatever the flavor of the month is in the league. He's still just an oil wildcatter playing fantasy football with a real team.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I just watched the ND vs Ill St championship highlights from 2014. Wentz sure seemed to have a lot of early Tony Romo in him in that he rambled around a fumbled a few times, hjeld the ball far too long and got sacked a few times. He also made some great running plays. Not sure if that was typical or not for him. I'd still like to see him sit behind Tony for two years and then take over.
That would be ideal. This is the perfect year to draft his replacement. The way Tony's contract is structured is that he can be released after two more seasons without a horrific cap hit.

Top Bottom