Hill: Brandon Carr Unwilling To Accept A Pay Cut

Jiggyfly

Banned
Again, as long as your scouts are doing their job. You are going to miss on picks, but I am not a fan of going for a CB high in the draft. Get your front 7 stout, and you can plug and play at the CB spot, especially if you have decent safeties.
So after saying this how can you be fine with starting a 4th or 5th rounder at this point?

Not getting into a debate about front 7 vs CB but NE kept coming up short until they put some real resources in the secondary.

Not team has won with a plug and play secondary.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So after saying this how can you be fine with starting a 4th or 5th rounder at this point?

Not getting into a debate about front 7 vs CB but NE kept coming up short until they put some real resources in the secondary.

Troy Brown called and said you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I didn't say plug and play secondary. I said you can plug and play at CB as long as the support is there from the rest of the defense.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We can't be Mr Nice Guy with Carr. Hang onto him until the last minute then cut him the day before camp opens.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We can't be Mr Nice Guy with Carr. Hang onto him until the last minute then cut him the day before camp opens.
So we should handicap ourselves by basically playing with one less roster spot? Not very smart. If we know we're cutting him, do it early on so we have time to try and find somebody to take that roster spot and get used to playing in our scheme.

I get it, you want him to find it tough to get signed for big money. But cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't very sound decision making.

vince

Not So New Member
SB Nation reporting the Cowboys are still interested in AP. Might be the deciding factor in cutting this schlub.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And, I'm perfectly fine with cutting him and going after a CB in rounds 4 or 5.
Expecting a fourth or fifth round corner to come in and start as a rookie and play well is a bit ridiculous. I know everyone on this board has devalued the corned position in their mind but this is a bit over the top. You'll be lucky to see 1 corner go in the fourth/fifth round of this draft who looks good starting as a rookie. Emphasis on the word lucky. So basically our scouts better just know something that no one else knows.

And yet we need to use a first round pick on a RB even though we have the best O-line in football. I'm all about building the trenches first but lets not pretend corners don't matter.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Definitely be going CB in the first round. Or maybe we can get the workout warrior in the 2nd. yippie.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Expecting a fourth or fifth round corner to come in and start as a rookie and play well is a bit ridiculous. I know everyone on this board has devalued the corned position in their mind but this is a bit over the top. You'll be lucky to see 1 corner go in the fourth/fifth round of this draft who looks good starting as a rookie. Emphasis on the word lucky. So basically our scouts better just know something that no one else knows.

And yet we need to use a first round pick on a RB even though we have the best O-line in football. I'm all about building the trenches first but lets not pretend corners don't matter.
I didn't say they had to look good. They can just be serviceable as long as we have a solid rush. Hell, look at what Moore/Carr/Claiborne did with zero pass rush. Imagine if we had a decent rush and decent safety support.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We have to have a RB and even though it's a deep class not sure we'll want to wait til the end of round 3 before he try to find our starter. So taking a RB in the first or second means CB or DT or LB gets pushed to the 3rd or 4th round.

But I guess that's the price you pay when you give up your top 2 picks to move up into the top 10 only to bust on a CB and also bust on your top FA signing that year. Now we're back to chasing our tail again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't say they had to look good. They can just be serviceable as long as we have a solid rush. Hell, look at what Moore/Carr/Claiborne did with zero pass rush. Imagine if we had a decent rush and decent safety support.
To be fair most of the time they looked like absolute garbage. Our safeties did as well.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Trae Waynes is likely a top 20 pick who will be long gone. Then you have 2-3 CB's in the late first/early 2nd range. Collins has started a total of 10 games in college, Marcus Peters has off the field issues and PJ Williams is more of a 2nd rounder envisioned to be a #2 type CB. Kevin Johnson is decent but unspectacular and after that is the workout warrior Byron Jones.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather have Charles Tillman.
That's actually what I'd like to do if we want to cut Carr. A good veteran player who knows the coaches and knows the system. You can still draft someone in the second round or later but you shouldn't feel the need to either. The draft is all about being free to let the players come to you as opposed to targeting certain guys and trying to find a way to go up and get them.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'd rather have Charles Tillman.
Same here.

He's from the area and was recently awarded a street here. Its more like just a block long whereas RG3 street is a few miles long. I know, CSB, but I get a chuckle at that. Hes done more in his career and for charity and gets a sidenote. I believe he even mentioned that as well in an interview while giving RG3 a hard time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So we should handicap ourselves by basically playing with one less roster spot? Not very smart. If we know we're cutting him, do it early on so we have time to try and find somebody to take that roster spot and get used to playing in our scheme.

I get it, you want him to find it tough to get signed for big money. But cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't very sound decision making.
Sign one less UDFA? I don't think that's the biggest handicap in the world. I want to hold him until TC opens, not until the end of preseason.

shane

DCC 4Life
And isn't this great...we will be freaking out about a CB in a CB poor draft. Could not have worked out better I say.
Go all in on improving the line, and throw Scandrick and whatever jabronis back there in the secondary. I think that's a good plan.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Tillman is a turnover-forcing machine too.

He has health concerns, but I'd still love to bring him in.

Top Bottom