Free Agency Chatter...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Eagles baffle me. They aren't exactly hard up for cap. Why would you sacrifice a great player like that?
I see that you don't appreciate Kelly's genius. Some day you will.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, it turns out they are pretty close to the cap at this point. They blew their wad.
Oh I guess I just assumed since they started out with such a freakishly large amount that they would still have a bunch left. I guess taking on Bradford's salary didn't help.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
PHOENIX - The Eagles have just $8.6 million in salary-cap space following the recent head-spinning flurry of free-agent signings (Byron Maxwell, DeMarco Murray, Ryan Mathews, Walter Thurmond) and trades (Sam Bradford, Kiko Alonso), according to numbers-crunching spotrac.com. But $5 million of that is earmarked for the rookie pool.

That means that, unless the Eagles restructure some other contracts, it isn't likely that defensive end Fletcher Cox and linebacker Mychal Kendricks will be receiving early contract extensions.

Cox and Kendricks both are entering the final year of the 4-year rookie deals they signed in 2012. Cox, the 12th pick in the 2012 draft, has a $1.8 million base this season. Kendricks, the 46th overall pick in that draft, is scheduled to earn $896,000.

If Howie Roseman still was the general manager, re-signing Cox and Kendricks to early extensions would have been a high priority. With Chip Kelly, not so much. He's more concerned with today than tomorrow.

One possible restructuring candidate is the Eagles' new quarterback, Sam Bradford, who is in the final year of his 6-year rookie contract. His base salary this year is just under $13 million, which also is his cap number.

But aside from creating a little more cap space, neither Bradford nor the Eagles really has a lot of reason to do a new deal right now.

Bradford is coming off back-to-back ACL injuries. And while Kelly may feel he's a better fit for his offense than Nick Foles, the Eagles coach is not going to offer the quarterback much in the way of guaranteed money until he proves he can stay healthy for more than a few months.

By the same token, Bradford and his agent, Tom Condon, have little reason to sign anything less than a blockbuster deal right now.

Before Bradford was traded, the Rams asked the 27-year-old quarterback to take a substantial pay cut. According to a league source, they wanted to reduce his 2015 base salary to $5 million. Bradford declined and the Rams quickly began shopping him around the league.

His $78 million rookie contract has set him up for life, so he doesn't need money. He can afford to roll the dice and see what happens next season. If he stays healthy and has a good season with the Eagles, he'll get a great contract, from either the Eagles or another team.

"I think Condon's thinking is, 'Sam, go knock it out of the park and we'll get an above-market deal,' '' an executive for an NFC team said. " 'Go play 16 games and have a top-10 year and the ball will be in our court.'

"He doesn't really need money. He got the last big rookie contract, so he's set. And he collected it all. So he's not in a situation where he has to worry about his next contract.

"The two downsides for him are: a) he gets hurt again; or b) he has a mediocre year. But I think in Chip's offense, it's hard for a quarterback to have a mediocre year. It's such a quarterback-friendly offense. If he stays healthy, he's going to put up good numbers. And if he puts up good numbers, he's going to get paid."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't worry...Angry Pig has got this...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jets add defensive line depth, sign Stephen Bowen

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 24, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT

The Jets continued to fill in the roster with experienced depth, as new coach Todd Bowles tries to solidify his lines.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, the Jets have signed former Washington defensive end Stephen Bowen to a one-year deal.

Bowles was a Cowboys assistant coach when the soon-to-be 31-year-old Bowen was a rookie.

The Jets had previously signed Kevin Vickerson for a backup role behind their strong starting unit (Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrison).

Bowen has been a productive player when well, but he’s still working back from his 2013 microfracture surgery, and started last year on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
----------------

Bowen is fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Reports: Mason Foster agrees to deal with Bears

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 24, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT

The Chicago Bears may have found their replacement for Lance Briggs.

According to Jen Lada of CSNChicago.com, the Bears have agreed to terms with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster.

Foster has been a starter for each of his four seasons with the Buccaneers after being selected in the third round out of the University of Washington in 2011.

Foster had his least productive season for Tampa Bay last year. He appeared in just 10 games as he battled injuries throughout the year. He recorded just 40 tackles.

For his career, Foster has racked up 343 tackles, six sacks, five interceptions and two forced fumbles in 57 games.

The San Francisco 49ers were also interested in Foster before he elected to sign with Chicago.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Impressive speed. But doesn't this guy have a couple frying pans for hands?

D

Deuce

Impressive speed. But doesn't this guy have a couple frying pans for hands?
No, he actually has very good hands. More of a laziness in concentration issue. That's correctable.

Cowboys scout thereto watch Jacoby Glenn gives me massive wood. He could do damn well in this scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

D

Deuce

Kelly's offense would make his hamstring explode by week 2.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol Austin hasn't been any good for 3 years.

Philly's receiving corps is looking horrid. But they could run the wishbone, so they have that going for them, I guess.

Last edited:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
:lol Austin hasn't been any good for 3 years.

Philly's receiving corps is looking horrid. But they could run the wishbone, so they have that going for them, I guess.
Does this mean that Chip will try and coax Barry Switzer back into coaching?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

Part of me wishes we would have solidified the FS need with a late pick like this, but he was really bad for the Bucs since joining them. I would almost prefer Church to him. ~shudder~

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of me wishes we would have solidified the FS need with a late pick like this, but he was really bad for the Bucs since joining them. I would almost prefer Church to him. ~shudder~

Not sure what his cap number looks like. Otherwise with those picks I wouldn't have minded making the trade even for the guy to be our third safety.

Top Bottom