Cowboys' Jerry Jones: We don't have to draft QB in 2016

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Griffin might have higher aspirations than backing up Tony. A bad team like the Rams (needing some sizzle in LA) might give him a legit shot at starting.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Griffin might have higher aspirations than backing up Tony. A bad team like the Rams (needing some sizzle in LA) might give him a legit shot at starting.
Yep. He doesn't seem to be the type to take a back seat on a team.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I have a feeling that stronger heads will prevail this time around. It's madness not to have both of them if you can.
Our best hope is RGIII goes to a team where he can compete for the starting job immediately. And then Manziel's issues get to the point even Jerry will realize it'd be a mistake to try and obtain him. In that case I think we'd sign a vet. backup but also draft a QB in the 1st.

But if we sign Manziel or RGIII I really believe Jerry won't want to also draft a QB early because he'll believe the one we sign will have the potential to be the starter eventually. At least I think he'll wait to see what they do this year before drafting a QB in the 1st.

It's one thing to think Goff or Wentz aren't worth a top 5 pick. It's another to bypass them because we think Manziel or RGIII can be an adequate replacement. If we don't sign one of them I'd put money on us drafting a QB in the 1st. If we do sign one, then I'd say the odds we draft one in the 1st will be less than 50%, probably not at all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Our best hope is RGIII goes to a team where he can compete for the starting job immediately. And then Manziel's issues get to the point even Jerry will realize it'd be a mistake to try and obtain him. In that case I think we'd sign a vet. backup but also draft a QB in the 1st.

But if we sign Manziel or RGIII I really believe Jerry won't want to also draft a QB early because he'll believe the one we sign will have the potential to be the starter eventually. At least I think he'll wait to see what they do this year before drafting a QB in the 1st.

It's one thing to think Goff or Wentz aren't worth a top 5 pick. It's another to bypass them because we think Manziel or RGIII can be an adequate replacement. If we don't sign one of them I'd put money on us drafting a QB in the 1st. If we do sign one, then I'd say the odds we draft one in the 1st will be less than 50%, probably not at all.
Pretty much the way things will eventually sift out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Pretty much the way things will eventually sift out.
Maybe but you'd think Griffin already must realize that he can't start here while Romo is around. So why is his camp floating rumors about wanting to come here?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe but you'd think Griffin already must realize that he can't start here while Romo is around. So why is his camp floating rumors about wanting to come here?
Trying to crank up interest I guess. I don't see it but some folks think he is on Jones' short list.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Trying to crank up interest I guess. I don't see it but some folks think he is on Jones' short list.
Maybe he still remembers Thanksgiving day, 2012.

“Really I was in awe,” Jones said “I was very disappointed, but I was in awe of RGIII. The plays that he was making — they made some great catches, they made some great plays. It was unbelievable the plays they were making.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe he still remembers Thanksgiving day, 2012.

“Really I was in awe,” Jones said “I was very disappointed, but I was in awe of RGIII. The plays that he was making — they made some great catches, they made some great plays. It was unbelievable the plays they were making.”
Jones is almost my age. He probably doesn't remember if he had lunch. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He most definitely is.

Jones is so damn transparent. He and his little buddies put out feelers and I bet what they come back with is that the fans would love Griffin.

It is a reclamation project without the additional baggage Manziel clearly has.

If Griffin is willing to take high backup money ala Orton, I almost guarantee it happens.

He will be available before free agency begins, giving Jones plenty of time to court him.

It is almost scripted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas gets linked to every free agent. Its like an NFL Agent's go to move.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He does not care about starting. He got free money from Washington because he could. Why not take more money and not have to prove it?

I would be completely shocked if Griffin took an open competition gig.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas gets linked to every free agent. Its like an NFL Agent's go to move.
This one has teeth though.

I don't see a market for him and I see him, Briles, his agents all manufacturing it. Eventally Jones will end up bidding against himself and everyone else will have a good laugh about it

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This one has teeth though.

I don't see a market for him and I see him, Briles, his agents all manufacturing it. Eventally Jones will end up bidding against himself and everyone else will have a good laugh about it
Eh, I haven't seen any reason to believe their is teeth to this. Again we are banking on a statement by Jerry 3 years ago to actually believe it has teeth. Griffin is the QB I remember pouting horribly when he lost his starting job. I don't see a guy who basically threw a fit about being demoted taking a job where he has no chance to be the starter. Especially when there are plenty of QB needy teams in the NFL. Robert Griffin has done some good things in the NFL. 100+ rating as a rookie. Ratings in the 80s in 2013 and 2014. I'm sure there is a coach out there that thinks they can take him back to that 100+ rating season.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Especially when there are plenty of QB needy teams in the NFL.
assuming Bradford returns to Philly and the Jets are happy with Fitzgerald, there aren't too many teams that can offer him a fair shot at the starting position, with the exception of the following:

Cleveland
Houston
LA Rams
San Francisco

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
assuming Bradford returns to Philly and the Jets are happy with Fitzgerald, there aren't too many teams that can offer him a fair shot at the starting position, with the exception of the following:

Cleveland
Houston
LA Rams
San Francisco
Buffalo, Denver, New York Jets are a few teams who also don't have the most settled QB spots going into next year (Assuming Manning retires).

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Bills seem happy with Taylor and Osweiller is clearly the heir apparent in Denver

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bills seem happy with Taylor and Osweiller is clearly the heir apparent in Denver
Tyrod Taylor won a 3 way QB race and barely cleared 3000 yard on the season. The Bills absolutely should be looking at QB options.

Osweiller is a free agent after this year. I assume the Broncos will resign him and make him the starter in 2016 but contracts can be tricky sometimes.

Top Bottom