ESPN: NFL adjusts rule defining catch

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL adjusts rule defining catch
Updated: March 24, 2015, 9:52 AM ET
By John Keim | ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The NFL competition committee tweaked the rule for a catch, but even under the new wording, Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant still would not have had a successful grab in an NFC divisional-round game.

The rule now states that a receiver must establish himself as a runner rather than just make a football move. He also must have control of the ball and both feet in bounds.

The problem for Bryant, as the competition committee showed during a video presentation at the owners meetings, is that his hand hits the ground as the ball squirts free. So it would not have been viewed as a catch and the Cowboys still would have failed on a fourth-down play in a loss to Green Bay.

The rule has been debated since an apparent touchdown catch by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson was overturned in 2010.

"Once you go down that path, it becomes more subjective," said Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating. "What is, what isn't a football move. We're not talking about a lot of plays over the course of the five seasons since the Calvin Johnson play. This allows us to consistently officiate the rule."

St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the competition committee, said the members spent a lot of time on this topic, which helped clear up a rule that could be tough to define.

"If you're going to the ground, hang on to the ball. It's really pretty simple," Fisher said. "To include if you become a runner, I think it really cleans things up for us. If you start talking about reaching the ball out, you invite a lot of gray area back into the interpretation." (lol wut)

The committee also said it does not support any changes to the replay system to include a review of penalties. Committee co-chairman and Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay said during a news conference that the competition committee reviewed 27 hits on defenseless players last season, but there was no consensus on the penalties. Since they are subjective fouls, it would not be considered practical or sustainable. The plays currently under review are considered objective facts.

Fisher said the league's officiating department will review fouls on a Monday and can take "20-30 minutes, maybe an hour, to determine whether it was in fact a foul. So you can see the issues that we're going to have if we involve those things in replay."

Finally, a proposal was added to allow a certified athletic trainer at each stadium to stop the game if a player appears disoriented. That proposal stems, in part, from the Super Bowl, when New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman appeared disoriented after a hit by Seattle Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor.

The removed player would then undergo a sideline examination.

"We got the [medical] spotters, they've got a really good vantage point, they've got technology in their booth, they're communicating pretty well with our trainers and doctors and we've got a pretty good rhythm going there," McKay said.

"Why would we miss a play where a player should have come out of the game?"

dallen

Senior Tech
"It clarifies the whole issue. Unless you make an extremely common move. In that case it is still completely subjective."

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
The NFL knows the rule is fucked. But they won't change it. They just alter a word or two and pray that one of these calls don't determine the outcome of a game again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think its absolute bullshit but I don't care that much at this point. It's not like fixing the rule will somehow give us the playoff win we deserved. Odds are the rule will screw a different team next time. Hell, it may even be a team we are playing against.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
And how do they explain away the second time he caught the ball? When he was on his back in the end zone (in bounds) and the ball had clearly never touched the ground,

data

Forbes #1
I don't get it. It's another subjective move beyond a football move that establishes you as a runner, no?

Cotton

Staff member
I don't get it. It's another subjective move beyond a football move that establishes you as a runner, no?

data

Forbes #1
Make it clear. Player must be able to hand, not throw, the ball to ref. once ball touches refs hands, pass is considered complete, whether or not ref drops the handoff.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

GShock

DCC 4Life
So no more sideline catches, because 2 hands and feet down aren't enough, you also have to establish yourself as a runner?

Cotton

Staff member
So no more sideline catches, because 2 hands and feet down aren't enough, you also have to establish yourself as a runner?
No, I think this only concerns maintaining control all the way through the catch. So, if a receiver bobbles the ball on the way to the ground he would have had to otherwise establish himself as a runner for it not to be an incompletion. I hope that clears it up. :unsure

p1_

DCC 4Life
Suffice to say the NFL has once again dropped the ball.

GShock

DCC 4Life
No, I think this only concerns maintaining control all the way through the catch. So, if a receiver bobbles the ball on the way to the ground he would have had to otherwise establish himself as a runner for it not to be an incompletion. I hope that clears it up. :unsure
Ahh, so hands +2 feet + no "bobble" = catch, but hands + 2 feet + "bobble" = no catch, unless "established as a runner." Football move = too subjective, but "established as a runner" is self-evident.

What could go wrong?

data

Forbes #1
the nfl went down a f'n rat hole and doesn't know how to get out of it.

in college, 1 foot down is a catch. just leave the nfl as 2 feet down and the second foot counts as the extra 'football move'.

now we're into this 'establish as a runner' thing and it's a fn joke.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That still makes me angry to this day, but it ain't bringing us a victory.

But the general issue is the overall faggotry involved with how they are dealing with this.

They don't want to admit a clear and utter mistake. And yeah, I bet Lions fans are bitching the same way.

Cotton

Staff member
That still makes me angry to this day, but it ain't bringing us a victory.

But the general issue is the overall faggotry involved with how they are dealing with this.

They don't want to admit a clear and utter mistake. And yeah, I bet Lions fans are bitching the same way.
There is a huge gap between bitching about a stupid rule and it's implementation and a single penalty no-call. Unless you meant the Cal Johnson call, and in that case, I agree.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Ok, let's suppose a receiver jumps in the air, catches the football, comes down with both feet, but as soon as he does the DB immediatly holds him from moving long enough for another of his teammates to come in and knock the ball out. Is that a fumble or an incomplete pass (as the receiver has not had a chance to establish himself as a runner)?

Cotton

Staff member
Ok, let's suppose a receiver jumps in the air, catches the football, comes down with both feet, but as soon as he does the DB immediatly holds him from moving long enough for another of his teammates to come in and knock the ball out. Is that a fumble or an incomplete pass (as the receiver has not had a chance to establish himself as a runner)?
Damn good question.

Top Bottom