Hill: Brandon Carr Unwilling To Accept A Pay Cut

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, Ajayi is a perfect fit. I'm not saying we should reach for him but I'm absolutely not opposed to moving up a few spot a dropping one of our 7ths if we think we need to, to get him.
I appreciate your zealotry, but it will take more than an extra seventh to move up in that range.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I appreciate your zealotry, but it will take more than an extra seventh to move up in that range.
You will not crush my dreams. I will not allow it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And he fumbles. Above all, he's not going to be a guy that can carry the load for a whole game if you need him.
Sure he will be. I don't think you watched enough of him if that's what you believe. Carried the workload in college with no problem. Which is actually more then we can say about Gurley.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd never rule out a trade up. You never know if somebody will slide. But I'm not trading up to get somebody in this draft to take them right around where they're slotted. Nobody jumps out to me as a must have. But if they start tumbling down the board and the price is right? I'd consider it, depending on who it is and what position they play.

I should have clarified but I'm talking specifically about a trade up for one of the running backs. Too much quality depth to do that in this draft.

If a stud drops close to our pick, like with Dez, a trade up makes sense. I don't see it in the cards this year though.

Genghis Khan

I just dont think that RB is our biggest need and would rather address the DLine in the first. Plenty of other RBs to choose from in the later rounds.
Now that we have Hardy, I disagree. RB is by far our biggest need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Safety is probably up there as well but there is only one safety that interests me in like the first 2 rounds of this draft.
I think these guys like what they have at safety.

Look at Marinelli's Bear safeties. I did not see a bunch of high choices thrown at the position.

They usually picked a slow white safety in the fifth round or later.

All in all, this is a bad safety group and I don't give a crap if we ignore it again. Not because we are good, but wow, it is a very very thin class.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think these guys like what they have at safety.

Look at Marinelli's Bear safeties. I did not see a bunch of high choices thrown at the position.

They usually picked a slow white safety in the fifth round or later.

All in all, this is a bad safety group and I don't give a crap if we ignore it again. Not because we are good, but wow, it is a very very thin class.
They seem to feel the same way about DT but I agree. It's a horrific safety class. I wouldn't force a pick just because of need. Better off probably drafting a corner who could possibly move to safety.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Trading down into the top of the 2nd and taking Ajayi in the 35-45 range is much more likely than trading up and taking him in my mind. And I'd be perfectly fine if we did that while picking up an extra 3rd.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Now that we have Hardy, I disagree. RB is by far our biggest need.
How long do you think we have Hardy? Its just a one year deal. Crawford is a free agent as well next season.

Genghis Khan

How long do you think we have Hardy? Its just a one year deal. Crawford is a free agent as well next season.

But we HAVE Hardy.

Not only do we have zip at RB, we went 12-4 with a dominant running back and zero pass rush.

Even if Hardy never plays a down for us, we could reasonably replicate what we did last season if we have a bell cow at RB. It's not true the other way around though.

RB is by far our biggest need.

Rev

Staff member
But we HAVE Hardy.

Not only do we have zip at RB, we went 12-4 with a dominant running back and zero pass rush.

Even if Hardy never plays a down for us, we could reasonably replicate what we did last season if we have a bell cow at RB. It's not true the other way around though.

RB is by far our biggest need.
You have to look to the future and value at RB can be easily found later . Also fewer teams looking for RBs as opposed to DL will help as well. I didn't say not to draft a RB and like quite a few of them. I would just rather sit back and see if Ayaji falls to us in the second. The running game isn't going to disappear just because Murray is gone. The dedication to running the ball and improving of the offensive line was just as important as Murrays talent. Just my opinion and I don't think I'm alone in it so I scratch your "by far" from existence.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think all the backs have something to like.

But only a few are a good fit for this team and what we want to do.

That is how you match a player to a pick and are successful drafting.

Abdullah is a good player. He might be a great talent in the NFL. But that is not going to happen with how we do things.

NFL clubs spend an embarrassing amount of time trying to force players into schemes.

If you believe in your scheme, you take guys that fit. You don't go down a laundry list of ranked guys on how talented they are.
The great thing is, I think we finally have an identity and have a firm belief in our scheme. As such, I think we'll make the right pick at RB and won't try to force any round pegs into a square hole.

It feels weird having so much confidence in the team, but I feel good about what they are doing right now and I think we'll be ok come draft time as far as backs are concerned.

Genghis Khan

I'm talking about need, not replaceability. RB is by far our biggest need. We can't get by without one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm talking about need, not replaceability. RB is by far our biggest need. We can't get by without one.
Agreed.

That's what would make getting AP even better, though I doubt it happens.

We could go defense in the first 2 rounds which would be glorious.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I know people are against trading up but hypothetical what if someone like Randy Gregory started falling. He tested positive for weed at the combine and an illness had him weighing in pretty light. Let's say he falls into the 20s. Personally I'd have to start considering a trade up for that type of talent.

Rev

Staff member

Agree to disagree then. I will still stand by my opinion to go DL (if they players they value are there) over a trade down for Ajayi. I can still get a good value later and improve a needed position.

Be noted that I do want Ajayi but I would just prefer to stay where we are and see if he is there.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agree to disagree then. I will still stand by my opinion to go DL (if they players they value are there) over a trade down for Ajayi. I can still get a good value later and improve a needed position.

Be noted that I do want Ajayi but I would just prefer to stay where we are and see if he is there.
I agree with Geng that our biggest need is RB. But that doesn't mean that we have to take a RB first. Depends on how the draft is falling, and who is available when we go on the clock.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course it's our biggest need and it has nothing to do with how difficult or easy to find.

Dallas went 12-4 with utter crapola on the DL last year.

Without Murray and the commitment to the run he inspires they are probably a 6-10 team. Even if the coaches truly understood and respected the running game like Bill Parcells did, they might have gone 8-8 at best without Murray, and would have ended Romo's career trying for the playoffs.

That said, the draft is all about finding relative talent. You can't win without a kicker, but you don't draft them in the 1st round either (unless you're Al Davis and think you are a kicker away from the Superbowl).

Top Bottom