boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys' Jerry Jones: We don't have to draft QB in 2016

By Dan Parr NFL.com
College Football 24/7 Editor
Published: Jan. 27, 2016 at 03:38 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 27, 2016 at 04:40 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys might end up taking a quarterback in the 2016 NFL Draft, but owner Jerry Jones says he feels no pressure to spend a pick on Tony Romo's heir apparent this year.

Jones said on Wednesday after the North team practice at the Reese's Senior Bowl that the Cowboys do not feel like they have to take a quarterback with their first pick -- No. 4 overall -- or at any other point in the draft.

"There are many options," Jones said. "There's free agency ... We have to (draft a QB) to do what? We have to to win a Super Bowl next year? Do we have to to compete for a Super Bowl in the future? Do you have to have it in place after this draft? There's no have-to here, in my mind, because we have the luxury of having Romo here for 3, 4, 5 more years."

Dallas' staff is coaching the North team at the Senior Bowl this week, and it just so happens that one of the top QB prospects in the 2016 draft, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, is on the North roster, giving head coach Jason Garrett and his staff an opportunity to get a very good feel for the prospect's abilities.

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein rates quarterback as Dallas' biggest need with Romo moving past the midway point of his 30s and coming off of injury. Earlier on Wednesday, Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman told NFL HQ that Romo's durability "certainly is a concern."

Aikman, the first overall pick of the 1989 draft, is the only quarterback the Cowboys have drafted in the first round since Jones became the team's owner that same year.

So, it's going to take a talent the team considers to be very rare for Jones to go back to the well for a QB in the first round. As Jones says, there are other means of adding to Dallas' QB mix behind Romo, and perhaps the team will opt for a retread over a newbie. If the Cowboys do fall in love with Wentz by the end of this week, as NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah has predicted, they wouldn't have to rush him onto the field with Romo as the starter for a while longer. That could be an ideal situation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You don't need to draft a QB if you can find a reliable backup.

Pssst: There aren't any.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The only thing is, you want the owner/GM to say this even if you want to draft a QB there. No sense in announcing our plans.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
sooooo, no lesson learned from failing to prepare for Troy's retirement. swell.

junk

Not So New Member
“Well, I saw how we got there for the first three (Super Bowls) that I was involved with,” Jones said. “I’m the most surprised person in Mobile or the country that we haven’t been back to and competed in a Super Bowl.

“But I know firsthand that you can go from the outhouse to the penthouse. And I’ve experienced it.”

One reason is Jones’ faith in head coach Jason Garrett.

“I have all the confidence that you need to have in Jason,” Jones said. “I really like our staff. We certainly, there’s an old adage in evaluating players, since we’re here at the Senior Bowl , if you see them do it you know they can do it. If they’ve done it one or two times, then they can do it. Now we’ve seen this staff perform and have a good year, ’14. That’s why I’m confident that if we get some stability at certainly some key positions on offense that we can have the team that we want to have.
These quotes should severely depress any level headed, sane Cowboys fan.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep he went from the outhouse to the pent house then back to the outhouse and settled in.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm kind of psyched about the Wentz at the Senior Bowl thing. He seems like he'd be a heck of a pick up.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The only thing is, you want the owner/GM to say this even if you want to draft a QB there. No sense in announcing our plans.
that crossed my mind too, but it's just like Jerry to think that everything's fine.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Romo has been burning up the text line telling Jer and Garrett that he's got this and they don't need to draft a QB yet.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'll be like LT and wait and see this time

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
These quotes should severely depress any level headed, sane Cowboys fan.
This one in particular is the funniest one:

“Well, I saw how we got there for the first three (Super Bowls) that I was involved with,” Jones said. “I’m the most surprised person in Mobile or the country that we haven’t been back to and competed in a Super Bowl.
That's because you're the only dumbass who doesn't realize why you haven't been back to a SB.

The rest of us with a brain? We aren't surprised at all that we haven't won shit in 20 years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
that crossed my mind too, but it's just like Jerry to think that everything's fine.
That's true, and I don't actually think Jerry is being coy or clever here, I think he's just doing the semi-coherent rambling that he always does. But if he lucks into helping us be a little bit deceptive about our intentions, that's great.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd put money on Romo, Manziel/RGiii, Kellen Moore being our '16 QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd put money on Romo, Manziel/RGiii, Kellen Moore being our '16 QBs.
I'm still not sure RGIII would really want to come to Dallas. I think some other NFL team will be willing to look at him as a potential starter and pay him more then Dallas will. A team like the Jets or Texans might make a lot more sense for RGIII. He can go there and start right away and get paid like a borderline starter. Might not be the best for his long term career but rarely do players look at it that way.

Now Manziel is different. I doubt any NFL teams will look at him as someone ready to start. So I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to come to Dallas pretty badly.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm still not sure RGIII would really want to come to Dallas. I think some other NFL team will be willing to look at him as a potential starter and pay him more then Dallas will. A team like the Jets or Texans might make a lot more sense for RGIII. He can go there and start right away and get paid like a borderline starter. Might not be the best for his long term career but rarely do players look at it that way.

Now Manziel is different. I doubt any NFL teams will look at him as someone ready to start. So I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to come to Dallas pretty badly.
I think Manziel is most likely since Jerry wanted him in the draft and since no one else is probably going to be dumb enough to make him an offer. RGIII could still be an option since he may want to come back to Texas and JJ probably drools over getting the former #2 overall pick. But yeah, RGIII should get more interest across the league and may opt for an opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Either way I'm 99.99% sure we'll get one of them and they'll probably be told they have a chance to compete for the job when Romo is done. While behind the scenes JJ and Garrett are probably hoping to get 3-4 years out of Romo but want a veteran who they think could step in and keep us competitive if Tony goes down again.

It is smart to have insurance in case something happens to Romo again next year, but I'd rather get one of the first round QB's while signing a stop gap FA with less baggage than Manziel/RGIII.

It'll probably come down to whether they think Romo really has 3-4 years left or is on his last leg with maybe 1-2 yrs left. If they think he has 3-4 then I can see them passing on drafting a 1st round QB since they'd think he'd be sitting for 3-4 years. Whereas Manziel/RGIII could be an immediate QB stepping in if Romo gets hurt. But if they are blowing smoke about Romo and really believe he has 2 years or less left then I think we'll go QB early.

But knowing as delusional as JJ is, he'll cling to hope Romo has several years and we'll end up with one of the overhyped backups with Kellen Moore or a mid-late draftee as our #3.

Top Bottom