boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo: No question, I'll be able to play for a while

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Jan. 23, 2016 at 04:40 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 23, 2016 at 04:50 p.m.

Watching Tom Brady and Peyton Manning battle deep into the post season at age 38 and 39, respectively, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has no doubts about his longevity.

"There's no question, I'll be able to play for a while," the 35-year-old signal-caller said Saturday, via the Dallas Morning News.

Romo was purported to have said earlier this year that he planned to play at least four more years, which would put him in the Manning-Brady age range.

With three of the four quarterbacks on Championship Sunday aged 36 or older, there is no question longevity at the position is at its peak.

In order to continue playing, however, Romo needs to stay on the field. The quarterback said he'll have a CT scan on the broken left collarbone that caused him to miss 12 games in 2015 in order to determine if surgery is needed.

Romo said regardless, he feels healthy and plans to be ready when OTAs open.

"It's doing good," Romo said. "As you get removed from the season a little bit, it's gotten stronger and stronger, so it's been good here the last couple of weeks just getting ramped up with some of the workouts.

"I've been able to go harder in the last three weeks than I have the previous six months, so I'm getting excited about that. I kind of wish that training camp was coming up. But for me, I already had an offseason almost during the year, so I feel as though I'll be ready to rock for OTAs."

The quarterback added the back injury that nagged him in previous seasons is as "strong as it's been in three or four years."

"I feel like the joke is, I've said it before, as everyone else is getting older, I'm getting younger," Romo said. "You just got to go out and do it and prove it. I think next year you'll see a little bit different Dallas Cowboys team."

Cowboys fans would also like to see a little bit different backup quarterback situation this season, just in case the injuries to Romo persist.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I want this guy to play for a long, long time.

But I also want to invest in a starting QB in either the 1st or 2nd round this year.

Let him sit and develop, if need be-- after all, Dallas is used to getting little or no impact from it's second round pick.

But odds are he'll play at least a few games and also practice on Wednesdays.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I said it after the '08 season that we'd never win or go to a SB with Romo at QB. It all wasn't his fault though. Can't blame him for the coaching staff or the other personnel. Now if we had a more balanced attack like '14 earlier in his career with a solid OL then we may have gotten there. But as it was he was an undisciplined gunslinger with an avg at best HC, below avg OC and OL most of his career.

Now at 35 and still an avg. at best HC and OC, I don't see him getting to the SB even though he seems to have grown as a QB. But if we put more focus on passing and Romo feels like he has to carry the load, then he definitely won't get us to a SB. I'm basically waiting til we get a new QB drafted and developed and the Romo era is finally over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just wish he would shut up with talk like this.

The more he says this shit, the less likely we are to ever draft a QB to replace him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo will have CT scan on collarbone next week

4:23 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will have a CT scan on his left collarbone within the next week, and while surgery remains a possibility Romo said the bone is getting "stronger and stronger."

"I think we know which way we're siding and we've had exhaustive discussions about it," Romo said Saturday at the re-opening of Bowlmor Dallas in Addison, Texas, where he signed autographs for fans. "Really it's just about being there for your teammates. If I play, I know what I mean to our team. I just need to do everything in my power to make sure I'm on the football field."

The day after the 2015 season ended, Romo said he was looking at different options for his collarbone either through surgery or without an operation. If he had surgery, he would likely have a plate inserted into his collarbone to protect it from a re-break.

Since 2010, Romo has broken the collarbone three times, including twice last season. The initial break came Sept. 20 against the Philadelphia Eagles and then after missing seven games he suffered a hairline fracture after a hit in the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Romo said he is ahead on his offseason conditioning and football work than in past years at this time.

"That's about the only positive that comes from being out," Romo said.

The Cowboys went 3-1 in Romo's four starts. He finished the season with five touchdown passes and seven interceptions while completing 83-of-121 passes for 884 yards. The Cowboys kept him on the active roster until they were officially eliminated from the playoffs. He went on injured reserve on Dec. 25.

"With some of the workouts, I've been able to go harder in the last three weeks than I have in the previous six months," Romo said. "I'm getting excited about that. Kind of wish training camp was coming up. For me, I already had an offseason almost during the year, so I'll be ready to rock for the [organized team activities]."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I said it after the '08 season that we'd never win or go to a SB with Romo at QB. It all wasn't his fault though. Can't blame him for the coaching staff or the other personnel. Now if we had a more balanced attack like '14 earlier in his career with a solid OL then we may have gotten there. But as it was he was an undisciplined gunslinger with an avg at best HC, below avg OC and OL most of his career.

Now at 35 and still an avg. at best HC and OC, I don't see him getting to the SB even though he seems to have grown as a QB. But if we put more focus on passing and Romo feels like he has to carry the load, then he definitely won't get us to a SB. I'm basically waiting til we get a new QB drafted and developed and the Romo era is finally over.
By that logic it sounds like you want to draft a QB who is so sucky he forces his average HC and OC to become more disciplined and better at their jobs?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just wish he would shut up with talk like this.

The more he says this shit, the less likely we are to ever draft a QB to replace him.
Can't blame a guy for promoting himself.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Remember the story how his back reverted to 2014 after only that one cheap shot hit from the Giants in the first game.

Yeah, I'm sure he has a lot of football left.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember the story how his back reverted to 2014 after only that one cheap shot hit from the Giants in the first game.

Yeah, I'm sure he has a lot of football left.
His arm is fine but he can't take hits anymore at all. Even the best Oline in the NFL can't save him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
By that logic it sounds like you want to draft a QB who is so sucky he forces his average HC and OC to become more disciplined and better at their jobs?
I'd like a new HC and staff too. If we have a balanced offense and Romo doesn't force too much we can be fine. Problem is he's going to be 36 next year. I'm ready to move on asap.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know Tony is positive all the time, but sometimes you have to be realistic too.

And we have to be smart as a front office too, and be ready just in case. Even if we THINK Romo will play another 4 or 5 years, we have to be ready in case he doesn't. And, even if he does, he'll probably miss at least a few games due to injury.

Plus, having an extra good QB is never bad. At the very least you can trade one at some point.

Of we love a guy at 4, and we're right about him, then he'd be way, way more valuable than anyone else we could take.

midswat

... soon
I hope someone sacks him next year and he spends the rest of his life looking like Stephen Hawkings.

F U Romo.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
It's great that your back is doing good but how about your bum shoulder and collarbone?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm a big Tony fan of course -- he's obviously the only reason we've been any good the last several years.

But I am getting a little tired of the big talk. I don't know what's gotten into him, but it seems like he's doing that more lately. People always said he was cocky, but he more or less kept it to himself. Think it to yourself all you want, but we really don't need to hear talk about meeting Brady at the Superbowl, or how great his back is, or tweeting "Let's win the whole thing", or any of this.

I mean, there's "no question" you'll be able to play several more years? How can you say that? In this game there's a question if a completely healthy rookie will play the next few years.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm a big Tony fan of course -- he's obviously the only reason we've been any good the last several years.

But I am getting a little tired of the big talk. I don't know what's gotten into him, but it seems like he's doing that more lately. People always said he was cocky, but he more or less kept it to himself. Think it to yourself all you want, but we really don't need to hear talk about meeting Brady at the Superbowl, or how great his back is, or tweeting "Let's win the whole thing", or any of this.

I mean, there's "no question" you'll be able to play several more years? How can you say that? In this game there's a question if a completely healthy rookie will play the next few years.
I think the organization pushes him to help promote the product

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Hey remember when Tony was going to see Tom in February.
Well, they could still watch the SB together.:unsure

I agree with CR55, he can't take the hits any more and he knows it. How many times have we seen him crumple to the ground in the fetal position before he's even hit? If he's smart, he doesn't try to play more than maybe two years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's fine for Romo to talk about playing for several years.

Romo's game never depended on having a rifle arm, so that works in his favor. And it's true his play on the field is improving with age.

But he has to address the chronic issues-- his back and his collarbone, and his team must dedicate resources at RB.

Fine, get a plate in your collarbone, but the no practice on Wednesday thing is bullshit.

Top Bottom