Greg Hardy signed...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources are still telling me stuff, but for now I will let you sleep. Nighty night.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Greg Hardy has had his breakfast and took his morning dump....highlights at noon.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys show regard only for wins

For a pass-rusher like Greg Hardy, will Cowboys forsake all else for talent?
Updated: March 18, 2015, 1:28 AM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Free-agent defensive end Greg Hardy represents the best and worst of America.

If you have unique talent, something 99.99 percent of the free world doesn't have, then folks tend to give you chance after chance, no matter how much you've screwed up. And it doesn't matter whether we're talking about the best surgeon, the best salesman, the best actor or, in this particular case, one of the best pass-rushers in the world.

If you can help a company make more money, or help a team win a championship, then your transgressions usually don't matter all that much.

Hardy spent a chunk of Tuesday at the Dallas Cowboys' Valley Ranch training complex meeting team officials and coaches while his agent negotiated a deal that could land the star in Dallas.

This is only possible, if we're honest, because Hardy spent 15 games last season on the commissioner's exempt list after the 6-foot-4, 275-pound defensive end allegedly beat his girlfriend.

Domestic violence charges against Hardy were dismissed last month because his accuser, ex-girlfriend Nicole Holder, did not make herself available to help with the case, prosecutors said at the time.

Even though his appeal trial was eventually dismissed by a jury after a judge previously convicted him, Hardy is expected to serve a suspension at the start of the 2015 season.

It would surprise no one if he received a four- or six-game ban.

The Carolina Panthers had placed the franchise tag on Hardy last season, paying him $13.4 million. The NFL's stance on domestic violence following the incident involving then-Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice and his wife in an elevator persuaded Carolina to let the talented 26-year-old pass-rusher leave.

Now the Cowboys are reportedly on the verge of signing him, and their fan base seems giddy. It's hilarious, if you think about it. Or sad, depending on your perspective.

A lot of folks seem to think DeMarco Murray is a bum because he took an offer worth $9 million more in guaranteed money than Dallas offered -- something each of us would have done given the opportunity -- but much of Cowboys Nation awaits Hardy with balloon bouquets and champagne toasts.

America prides itself on being a place where you're innocent until proven guilty, which is a fairy tale. America is a place where the number of zeroes in your bank account determines the quality of your defense and, ultimately, your freedom.

There's a difference between "innocent" and "not guilty." It's not what the prosecution knows. It's what it can prove, and that's OK. Our system, like any, has warts, but it's among the best in the world.

That said, it's silly for folks to say that since the charges were dropped, Hardy didn't do anything. Google the police report and read it for yourself.

Instead of trying to justify Hardy's alleged behavior, folks should just say they want the Cowboys to win and they don't care who helps them do it.

In a much-told story around Valley Ranch, former scout Jim Garrett, who is Jason Garrett's dad, once shouted during a draft meeting about Randy Moss: "Men, this is not the boy scouts! This is professional football."

The reality is the Cowboys, like much of their fan base, just want to win. Two playoff wins since 1997 is hardly satisfying for this storied franchise. Hardy will help Dallas win.

Hardy had 11 sacks in 2012 and 15 in 2013. The Cowboys had just 27 sacks last season and struggled to consistently pressure quarterbacks.

That's especially important in defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's scheme, because he has such disdain for blitzing. Creating pressure with a four-man rush is essential to the defense's success.

If the Cowboys sign Hardy, then in nickel situations they could use Hardy and DeMarcus Lawrence at defensive end and Tyrone Crawford and Jeremy Mincey at tackle. Improve the pass rush, and the maligned secondary will become better.

Signing Hardy would also help the Cowboys in the draft. They could use their first-round pick on a cornerback or another defensive end, since Marinelli likes to rotate them, and use their second-round pick on a runner to replace Murray.

Everything starts with their ability to sign Hardy to a deal that gives him a salary commensurate with his talent but protects the Cowboys from future off-the-field issues that could affect his availability.

The NFL has always been about winning at all costs, because teams lose players and coaches get fired and families have to relocate.

It's why a guy such as Hardy is getting another chance. It's the American way.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
America prides itself on being a place where you're innocent until proven guilty, which is a fairy tale. America is a place where the number of zeroes in your bank account determines the quality of your defense and, ultimately, your freedom.
I seriously want to choke this higher then mighty prick out. He has no clue about the law. People get off all the time when victims don't testify. It's not specific to just people with money. Happens even for poor people. And unlike this prick, I actually know this because I'm a criminal defense attorney. Not some Murray homer sitting in the corner crying and reading a report.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'm not planning on going to church with Greg Hardy any time soon. WGAS if he got off with domestic violence.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
That's all I care about as well. That's all I cared about in the early 90s as well. Plus I think a certain level of crazy on defense is a good thing.
Do NOT continue talking about the moral/legal Greg Hardy issues in this thread. This thread is about the possible signing of Greg Hardy and to keep others updated on the process.

If you continue to argue in this thread about the moral/legal issues arguments, you will get a vacation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's all I care about as well. That's all I cared about in the early 90s as well. Plus I think a certain level of crazy on defense is a good thing.
There's no question about it, we saw the positive benefits a little bit of crazy brings with McClain last year.

D

Deuce

There's no question about it, we saw the positive benefits a little bit of crazy brings with McClain last year.
I'm curious if the Hardy signing is what's keeping us from takling to McClain right now. Probably a little too much crazy on a defense to have the two of them and they are making their choice right now on which they'd rather have.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So, how will this effect our first round draft strategy?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm curious if the Hardy signing is what's keeping us from takling to McClain right now. Probably a little too much crazy on a defense to have the two of them and they are making their choice right now on which they'd rather have.
Not to mention having to cover for both of them as they serve their suspensions.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Come on, man.

The one guy you spend big money on is an elite pass rusher.

Time to make this happen.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Ugh. How about a safety at least?
Seriously, if we sign Hardy, even though we still could use a DT I think our first rounder comes down to RB/CB.

It all depends on who is on the board at the time but I'd still like to go DT/RB/S or CB....but RB/DT/S or CB would work too.

Top Bottom