Greg Hardy signed...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys have some interest in free agent DE Greg Hardy, but nothing imminent

Brandon George

Published: March 16, 2015 2:32 pm

The Dallas Cowboys are one of at least six teams that have expressed some interest in embattled defensive end Greg Hardy. But a free agent deal with Hardy isn’t imminent, according to a source.

The Cowboys have a big need for a pass-rushing defensive end. Hardy played the last five seasons for the Carolina Panthers and had 15 sacks in 2013. Hardy, the Panthers’ franchise player last season ($13.1 million), only played in one game in 2014.

A week into free agency, Hardy still remains one of the top defensive players available on the open market because he comes with off-the-field baggage.

Hardy is facing a likely six-game suspension to start the 2015 season after he was convicted in June 2014 of assaulting his ex-girlfriend. The charges against Hardy were dismissed in February after the accuser failed to show up for court.

The Panthers deactivated Hardy after Week 1 last season and placed him on the exempt list. He was ineligible to play in NFL games and wasn’t even allowed to practice with Carolina.

Hardy (6-4, 275) turns 27 in July. He has 34 sacks in 63 games with the Panthers. Before his career-high 15 sacks in 2013, Hardy had 11 sacks for the Panthers in 2012.

Defensive end Jeremy Mincey, a free agent signed by the Cowboys in 2014, led Dallas last season with six sacks during the regular season. Mincey added two more sacks in the playoffs for the Cowboys.

Cowboys safety Barry Church, one of Dallas’ leaders, expressed his desire for Hardy to possibly join Dallas during an interview Friday on KESN-FM 103.3.

“He could make not only my job a lot easier, but everybody on the back end’s job a lot easier,” Church said during an interview with The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley. “When you have a guy like that who can pressure the quarterback and consistently get back there and make the quarterback throw errant passes and tips and overthrows, that’s what we love back there in the secondary. It’ll definitely give us an opportunity to cover the receivers a lot less time than what we had to last year.

“From what I understand he’s a great teammate, a great guy, we all make mistakes here and there. I’m sure he’s going to get his second chance with a team here coming up soon, hopefully it will be with us.”

vince

Not So New Member
Well Mike Fisher just reported that the Cowboys are currently in the bidding for him. The terms aren't concrete yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we want him there is no reason we shouldn't have him. We have the talent at DE to survive whatever suspension the league hands down. Although I think a 6 game suspension would easily be challenged and won by Hardy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fisher can go eat a dick. He basically trolled Twitter with this bullshit all day and got our hopes up.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pretty much.

He used that word to make it sound more serious. Others have said we were asking around about him.

That is not negotiating.

F Fisher. That guy and his little homer minions on Twitter make me sick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Eff this guy. It was reported by legitimate media that Church wanted him in Dallas several days ago.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Oh snap.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Now I can put a little more stock in this.

kidd

DCC 4Life
So IF (and I know it'd a big "if") Dallas signs Hardy, are we happy?

I mean he has upside but he may also have to serve a long suspension plus he seems like a knucklehead.

Just playin devil's advocate here.

Cotton

Staff member
So IF (and I know it'd a big "if") Dallas signs Hardy, are we happy?

I mean he has upside but he may also have to serve a long suspension plus he seems like a knucklehead.

Just playin devil's advocate here.
I would be happy. I don't care about his past. All I care about are the sacks. (:unsure) So, bring him on and let Uncle Jerry nurture him.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

kidd

DCC 4Life
I would be happy. I don't care about his past. All I care about are the sacks. (:unsure) So, bring him on and let Uncle Jerry nurture him.
I think the signing would free us up in the draft. Having a pass rusher in place already would leave us with options at our pick. If a good Rb drops to us, we can snatch him up and still have other rounds for defensive players.

Cotton

Staff member

Stupid ass. It's already all over Twitter. Stop acting like you have some super exclusive news, fucking troll.

Cotton

Staff member
I think the signing would free us up in the draft. Having a pass rusher in place already would leave us with options at our pick. If a good Rb drops to us, we can snatch him up and still have other rounds for defensive players.
Absolutely.

Top Bottom