Watkins: Jordan tells Dez Bryant to behave

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jordan tells Dez Bryant to behave

Updated: May 28, 2013, 5:33 PM ET
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- NBA Hall of Famer Michael Jordan had some simple advice for Dallas Cowboyswide receiver Dez Bryant this offseason: Behave.

"The only thing he told me was 'stay out of trouble,' '' Bryant said after Tuesday's practice at Valley Ranch. "Hearing it come from him … He is a strong voice. His opinion matters."

Bryant met Jordan during the Hall of Famer's birthday party during NBA All-Star Weekend in Houston after Bryant had signed a three-year deal with Jordan Brand, becoming the seventh NFL player to join the apparel group.

And Bryant is taking Jordan's advice to the bank – literally. According to a source, as a sign of good faith, Bryant won't receive payment from the Jordan Brand for the first year of the deal. Bryant, according to the source, wants to prove to Jordan that he won't get into any trouble. If he could do that, he'll receive the salary in the second year of the deal.

"It just adds fuel to trying to do things great at all times," Bryant said. "That's something you don't want to mess up. Now, I do pay attention to that, just because of the fact of who he is and what he is about. Everybody knows Michael Jordan is about his business, so that make you want to be about yours."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dez Bryant: It shouldn’t be a headline that I’m staying out of trouble, I’m just doing the right thing

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
4:40 pm on May 28, 2013 |

IRVING – Dez Bryant’s quiet offseason continued to be a topic of discussion following Tuesday’s organized team activities at Valley Ranch.

The Dallas Cowboys wide receiver downplayed the significance of his ability to stay out of trouble off the field, saying it shouldn’t be a headline.

“I don’t even pay attention to having a quiet offseason,” Bryant said. “That’s not my focus at this point. It’s all about doing the right thing. Of course you’re supposed to stay out of trouble, but just do what you’re supposed to do.

“I’m doing what everybody else is doing, that’s doing the right thing.”

Bryant says his guide for staying on the right path consists of finding things he loves and focusing on them. And the good news for the Cowboys is that playing football is what Bryant loves.

“Just doing better and staying consistent at doing the things that’s good,” Bryant said. “Just finding things that you love. Finding things that you’re comfortable with. And it kind of becomes second nature once you got it.”

Bryant’s problems off the field have included a July arrest for allegedly assaulting his mother at her DeSoto home, a criminal trespass warning at a Dallas mall and multiple lawsuits from unpaid jewelry and sporting event tickets.

So, what has been one of his biggest adjustments to distancing himself from toruble?

“I’ll say this and I’ll let y’all figure this one out,” Bryant said, “just opening up my mouth and not being afraid to say things and doing what I feel is right.”

If you haven’t read it before, Bryant had a difficult childhood. He lived in several different homes as a youth, had a mother who spent 18 months in jail for selling drugs and he struggled in school.

But Bryant has appeared to be on the right path both on and off the field since his July arrest.

His biggest challenge going forward will be maintaining that pace.

“I really don’t like making excuses, but it’d be a lot different if I grew up the way half the other guys grew up,” Bryant said. “There ain’t no telling what I might be. I accept mine. That’s what men do. You accept what you do wrong, you learn from it and you do the right thing.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
“I don’t even pay attention to having a quiet offseason,” Bryant said. “That’s not my focus at this point. It’s all about doing the right thing. Of course you’re supposed to stay out of trouble, but just do what you’re supposed to do.
This is the most impressive thing I have heard him say, none of that give me a pat on the back shit because your doing whats right.

Top Bottom