Murray watch thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Umm, Mike...I don't think you are exactly helping things out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umm, Mike...I don't think you are exactly helping things out.
Yeah all that makes perfect sense if there wasn't a salary cap. Unfortunately there is. And rewarding Murray with a "few extra dollars" hurts the rest of the team. You can't spend a shit ton of money everywhere. You have to save money when you can and RB looks like a perfect spot to save money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'll add in all those touches he had last year to the negative side, also. To me, they weigh in a lot more heavy than the fumbles do. I don't think the fumbles are a chronic problem, and could be fixed. But all those carries can't be removed from his body...
It can be a negative but it isn't an automatic. If the distribution was better managed going forward it is quite possible he can deal with one season of a heavy workload. It isn't good but it isn't the first. It's about the same as playing one or two more games than normal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It can be a negative but it isn't an automatic. If the distribution was better managed going forward it is quite possible he can deal with one season of a heavy workload. It isn't good but it isn't the first. It's about the same as playing one or two more games than normal.
Nothing is automatic. But this is pretty darn close. Go look at the other RBs that had that many carries and catches in a season, and what their production was going forward. And there are some pretty good names on that list.

Not good.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nothing is automatic. But this is pretty darn close. Go look at the other RBs that had that many carries and catches in a season, and what their production was going forward. And there are some pretty good names on that list.

Not good.
Yes. Eric Dickerson had 390 in 1983 and came back in 1986 and had 404. Murrays is listed officially at 392.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarco Murray situation heating up

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT

The NFL 2014 rushing leader and offensive player of the year is currently free to sign with any team. Through more than 24 hours of free agency, he hasn’t.

That could change soon.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, things are expected to heat up, with something possibly happening later tonight.

The candidates are the Raiders, Eagles, Jaguars, and Cowboys. At this point, it’s unclear which if any team is leading the way.

As to the Eagles, someone leaked to Chris Mortensen of ESPN that Murray has called coach Chip Kelly. It’s unclear whether Murray was trying to sell Kelly on offering more money or whether Kelly was trying to sell Murray on taking whatever has been offered. Given the decision to pay Ryan Mathews and the presence of Darren Sproles, the Eagles surely don’t envision Murray to be a workhorse — and their offer surely reflects that.

Ultimately, whoever is willing to give him the biggest role would in theory be willing to pay him the most. Except for the Cowboys, who seem to be unwilling to pay handsomely for the ability to pound himself ugly.
-------------

Werder is saying the Raiders are offering the most money, then Dallas then Philadelphia.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'll add in all those touches he had last year to the negative side, also. To me, they weigh in a lot more heavy than the fumbles do. I don't think the fumbles are a chronic problem, and could be fixed. But all those carries can't be removed from his body...
And his injury history. 4 seasons, only 1 where he did not miss games.

That's plural.

And it's an injury history that dates back to college (where another 4 years of tread came off the tires), with leg injuries being the recurring theme.

He's a nice player, but he fumbles and gets injured. I'd like to have him on the team, but not at any cost. Last season was the ultimate outlier season for him, and anything other that a regression to the mean would be surprising. To NoDak's point, rushing champs fall off pretty significantly the year after, so I don't know that we can count on him to be much more than 75% of the player he was last season, in terms of games available and yards.

With this line and Romo, we can either get his 75% on a reasonable contract, or try to get the 75% through some combination of Williams/Randle/a mid-round pick, and use the money that would otherwise have gone to Murray to improve the team at other positions.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
or try to get the 75% through some combination of Williams/Randle/a mid-round pick
You aren't going to get 1300 yards with that combination of crap. I don't care how good we think our OL is.

If Murray leaves, a running back instantly is need number one. If they think Turd Randle, Williams and some schlub in the middle rounds is the same, it just is an arrogant idea that is extremely short-sighted.

No, it wasn't all Murray. But you can't just plug in some dumb ass "committee" and get the same production. You need a decent RB who can set the tone and from what you just mentioned, that ain't it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yes. Eric Dickerson had 390 in 1983 and came back in 1986 and had 404. Murrays is listed officially at 392.
So one all-timer didn't fall off the cliff like the rest, eh? 30+ years ago, no less.

Well, hell. You've convinced me. Sign him up and give him the ball.

kidd

DCC 4Life
And his injury history. 4 seasons, only 1 where he did not miss games.

That's plural.

And it's an injury history that dates back to college (where another 4 years of tread came off the tires), with leg injuries being the recurring theme.

He's a nice player, but he fumbles and gets injured. I'd like to have him on the team, but not at any cost. Last season was the ultimate outlier season for him, and anything other that a regression to the mean would be surprising. To NoDak's point, rushing champs fall off pretty significantly the year after, so I don't know that we can count on him to be much more than 75% of the player he was last season, in terms of games available and yards.
I agree with all this.

With this line and Romo, we can either get his 75% on a reasonable contract, or try to get the 75% through some combination of Williams/Randle/a mid-round pick, and use the money that would otherwise have gone to Murray to improve the team at other positions.
This not so much.

If I'm Dallas, signing Dez is my #1 priority. Then finding a replacement for Murray if he can't be team friendly. I'm sure a good back can be had in the first at our spot.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
DeMarco Murray situation heating up

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT

The NFL 2014 rushing leader and offensive player of the year is currently free to sign with any team. Through more than 24 hours of free agency, he hasn’t.

That could change soon.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, things are expected to heat up, with something possibly happening later tonight.

The candidates are the Raiders, Eagles, Jaguars, and Cowboys. At this point, it’s unclear which if any team is leading the way.

As to the Eagles, someone leaked to Chris Mortensen of ESPN that Murray has called coach Chip Kelly. It’s unclear whether Murray was trying to sell Kelly on offering more money or whether Kelly was trying to sell Murray on taking whatever has been offered. Given the decision to pay Ryan Mathews and the presence of Darren Sproles, the Eagles surely don’t envision Murray to be a workhorse — and their offer surely reflects that.

Ultimately, whoever is willing to give him the biggest role would in theory be willing to pay him the most. Except for the Cowboys, who seem to be unwilling to pay handsomely for the ability to pound himself ugly.
-------------

Werder is saying the Raiders are offering the most money, then Dallas then Philadelphia.
So I'm guessing he's debating taking more money to play for a bad Raiders team or swallow his pride and come back to Dallas.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Depends on how much more the Raiders are offering...the taxes thing is big.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Rapaport is unreliable guy, so take it for what it's worth, but he says that Murray will make his decision tonight.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Depends on how much more the Raiders are offering...the taxes thing is big.
Exactly.

30 million in California is like 20 million in Texas when you factor in cost of living and Texas having no state income tax.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So one all-timer didn't fall off the cliff like the rest, eh? 30+ years ago, no less.

Well, hell. You've convinced me. Sign him up and give him the ball.
I just uses one example. I was too lazy to do a complete spread.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
For those of you that want Murray back... The fat one has spoken.
I absolutely expect him back. And very soon.

Last I heard was at $7 to 7.5 per.

Top Bottom