Greg Hardy signed...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using dead money for lack of a better term.

But if he's only counting 2.5 mil against the 2015 cap, that incentive money has to get charged at some point.

Let's assume he earns the majority of his incentives, and total earningsreach 9.5 mil. He's charged 2.5 against 2015 cap. That means we are charged 7 mil against 2016 cap for performance from the previous year. That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Maybe I am missing something, but that cap charge has to show up somewhere.
If we had 7 mil extra in cap space unused this year because of it, we then get an additional 7 mil added on to our cap next year. So it would cancel it out. Basically it doesn't matter.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm using dead money for lack of a better term.

But if he's only counting 2.5 mil against the 2015 cap, that incentive money has to get charged at some point.

Let's assume he earns the majority of his incentives, and total earningsreach 9.5 mil. He's charged 2.5 against 2015 cap. That means we are charged 7 mil against 2016 cap for performance from the previous year. That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Maybe I am missing something, but that cap charge has to show up somewhere.
He counts the whole ammount, but only at the time it's due, if that makes any sense. If he's cut he only counts for SB and base salary. they have to have the space, but if they don't use it it gets carried over to next year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Which means it accrues against 2016 correct? We stand to be staring at a lot of dead money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then they are stupid and learned zero from last year.
I don't disagree. They had one of the best backs in the game currently and apparently didn't think the position was all that critical. Someone must think that the OL is so good that RB is now a plug and play toy. They are bent on defense and maybe rightly so but the RB position appears to be a something with them that is under control even if it's a late round selection.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Which means it accrues against 2016 correct? We stand to be staring at a lot of dead money.
It's not "dead". He would have earned it one way or the other even if he signed a hard deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only way this matters is if the Cowboys have another big signing in free agency this offseason. Otherwise the extra cap space will carry over and account for whatever extra we have to account for next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree. They had one of the best backs in the game currently and apparently didn't think the position was all that critical. Someone must think that the OL is so good that RB is now a plug and play toy. They are bent on defense and maybe rightly so but the RB position appears to be a something with them that is under control even if it's a late round selection.
I don't think this is really true. I think the Cowboys just recognize that most RBs peak in their first 5 years in the league. So why spend money on a veteran back when you're likely to get more productivity out of a RB on a rookie contract.

Essentially the Cowboys look at the position as one that you just need to draft every 4 to 5 years. It's why we have looked at so many RBs in this up coming draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think this is really true. I think the Cowboys just recognize that most RBs peak in their first 5 years in the league. So why spend money on a veteran back when you're likely to get more productivity out of a RB on a rookie contract.

Essentially the Cowboys look at the position as one that you just need to draft every 4 to 5 years. It's why we have looked at so many RBs in this up coming draft.
And you think the organization is doing the same huh?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Now we need to get McClain signed, and I'll be pretty happy with how our front 7 is shaking out so far.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you think the organization is doing the same huh?

I think that's why Stephen Jones brought up the statistics about RBs age and their drop in production. The organization has obviously put a lot of effort into compiling stats on the matter. It's why I don't think they really view McFadden as much other then experience.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Romo concern is even more reason not to care that this is a 1 year deal. Let's say we have a 3 year window with Romo, we now have Hardy for 1 of those 3, and if it looks like time is running out quickly next year we should just give Hardy whatever he wants to maximize the remaining time left. Then 2-3 years down the line you take your medicine when we will likely be rebuilding anyway.
Another reason I'd like to have him for 2-3 years. But if he proves to be worth it then we could possibly sign him for longer than the 1 year. I've also seen if he leaves we might get a 3rd round comp. pick for him. So either way it looks good.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think that's why Stephen Jones brought up the statistics about RBs age and their drop in production. The organization has obviously put a lot of effort into compiling stats on the matter. It's why I don't think they really view McFadden as much other then experience.
Then why even bother bringing him aboard? That is one big mystery to me.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah. Bringing in McFadden tells me the organization doesn't plan top go for a RB in the early rounds. They have four on the roster now and it would seem that they wouldn't go into the draft with a high priority toward a RB. I think they will eventual take one if they think he is better than the ones on the roster but again I don't think it's a big deal for them.
If they are really relying on McFadden to be the primary RB then we are even crazier than the Raiders.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because we probably trust his ability to pick up blitzes and such. Our coaches get really insecure about that shit. So they want a veteran back around in case the young pups don't pick that stuff up as quickly.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I would think (hope) they only view McFadden as a possible depth and maybe a guy to bridge the gap until the rookie is ready to take the job full-time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Teams need more than 1 back. We had a front row seat to see that last year. Can't expect to run a guy nearly 400 times a season. Plus, Randle is one more pack of stolen undies away from being out of the league.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because we probably trust his ability to pick up blitzes and such. Our coaches get really insecure about that shit. So they want a veteran back around in case the young pups don't pick that stuff up as quickly.
Well using that logic, the rest of the RBs aren't capable of this duty and a rookie sure wouldn't be so does that mean he will be doing most of the duty in The backfield?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Teams need more than 1 back. We had a front row seat to see that last year. Can't expect to run a guy nearly 400 times a season. Plus, Randle is one more pack of stolen undies away from being out of the league.
What has Randal done that puts him in that much jeopardy? Others have committed worse and are still playing.

Top Bottom