Mayock Chatter Thread...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Thanks for all of the help to everyone who participated.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Great job guys...you made it as fast as you could and held it down proper like.

Is this post going to serve as the GM explanation thread or are you going to start another one?

cmd34

Brand New Member
Dallas Cowboy selections
1(27) Shaq Thompson OLB 6-0/228 Washington

The Cowboys have three free agent linebacker s and another linebacker coming off injury. When I think of the defenses Marinelli had at Tampa Bay and Chicago, I think of playmakers at the Will position like Derrick Brooks and Lance Briggs. Thompson played safety, linebacker, running back, and kick returner during his collegiate career. In Dallas, he’ll be an every down linebacker.
I considered Owamagbe Odighizuwa here but I felt the opportunity to add a defensive playmaker like Thompson was the better move.

2(60) Quinten Rollins CB 5-11/195 Miami (Ohio)

I had a low first grade on Rollins and tried to move up to get him (or Kevin Johnson). He fell to me at pick 60 and jumped all over him. Like Thomspon, Rollins brings much-needed athleticism to the Cowboys defense. A 4-year point guard for Miami’s basketball team, he’s still raw but was still named the MAC’s defensive player of the year.
Again defensive line (Carl Davis, Xavier Cooper, Michael Bennett) was calling me here, but the BPA argument won the war room debate.

3(91) Jeremy Langford RB 6-0/208 Michigan State

There were a few running backs I had bunched here value-wise and Langford was my ideal pick. Langford showed strength and power as the Spartans’ workhorse this last year but really turned heads with a 4.42 40 time at the Combine. With Murray’s departure and question marks with both Joseph Randle and Ryan Williams, Langford will be in the mix for carries.

4(124) Lynden Trail DE 6-7/269 Norfolk State

Typical Cowboys getting cute in the 4th round? Nope. I got my pass rusher in the six foot seven Trail. He was a 4-start recruit who originally played at Florida, ended up going to a Junior College, and then 3 years at Norfolk State.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Denver had a dart board.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Great job guys...you made it as fast as you could and held it down proper like.

Is this post going to serve as the GM explanation thread or are you going to start another one?
We can use this one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboy selections
1(27) Shaq Thompson OLB 6-0/228 Washington

The Cowboys have three free agent linebacker s and another linebacker coming off injury. When I think of the defenses Marinelli had at Tampa Bay and Chicago, I think of playmakers at the Will position like Derrick Brooks and Lance Briggs. Thompson played safety, linebacker, running back, and kick returner during his collegiate career. In Dallas, he’ll be an every down linebacker.
I considered Owamagbe Odighizuwa here but I felt the opportunity to add a defensive playmaker like Thompson was the better move.

2(60) Quinten Rollins CB 5-11/195 Miami (Ohio)

I had a low first grade on Rollins and tried to move up to get him (or Kevin Johnson). He fell to me at pick 60 and jumped all over him. Like Thomspon, Rollins brings much-needed athleticism to the Cowboys defense. A 4-year point guard for Miami’s basketball team, he’s still raw but was still named the MAC’s defensive player of the year.
Again defensive line (Carl Davis, Xavier Cooper, Michael Bennett) was calling me here, but the BPA argument won the war room debate.

3(91) Jeremy Langford RB 6-0/208 Michigan State

There were a few running backs I had bunched here value-wise and Langford was my ideal pick. Langford showed strength and power as the Spartans’ workhorse this last year but really turned heads with a 4.42 40 time at the Combine. With Murray’s departure and question marks with both Joseph Randle and Ryan Williams, Langford will be in the mix for carries.

4(124) Lynden Trail DE 6-7/269 Norfolk State

Typical Cowboys getting cute in the 4th round? Nope. I got my pass rusher in the six foot seven Trail. He was a 4-start recruit who originally played at Florida, ended up going to a Junior College, and then 3 years at Norfolk State.
Didn't mind your draft, although I think you get raped in the grades, no offense.

Didn't get the Langford pick at all though. I watch him run and I just don't think he's very special. As high on the blah factor as Randle was for me coming out.

There were better backs available...I'd take the next three that went after him well before taking him....especially Johnson.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Didn't mind your draft, although I think you get raped in the grades, no offense.

Didn't get the Langford pick at all though. I watch him run and I just don't think he's very special. As high on the blah factor as Randle was for me coming out.

There were better backs available...I'd take the next three that went after him well before taking him....especially Johnson.
I cannot endorse any Cowboys draft that does not address the DL until the 4th round.

cmd34

Brand New Member
I cannot endorse any Cowboys draft that does not address the DL until the 4th round.
No I get that. I wanted D Line bad and hope we go that way irl. When it came to my picks, I just felt Shaq Thompson was the much better prospect than the UCLA DE, and that Rollins was a much better prospect than the 3 DL I liked at pick 60. In the 3rd round there wasn't DL I felt were close.

D

Deuce

No I get that. I wanted D Line bad and hope we go that way irl. When it came to my picks, I just felt Shaq Thompson was the much better prospect than the UCLA DE, and that Rollins was a much better prospect than the 3 DL I liked at pick 60. In the 3rd round there wasn't DL I felt were close.
I can see passing on the UCLA DE if you aren't sold on him...I'm just not in love with Thompson.

But passing on Carl Davis in the 2nd for a CB was your biggest mistake to me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I actually prefer Kendricks to Thompson and would have a hard time passing on Goldman and Orchard there. Not a fan of Rollins...I prefer some CBs that went later in the draft over him.

D

Deuce

Cleveland's draft

I went into it knowing Cleveland didn't really have a ton of holes, but the one's they did have were big ones. They needed multiple WR's, multiple MLB's, multiple DL, a RT and potentially QB. With the shit in this QB class after the top 2, I had no plans on addressing that spot in the first 4 rounds.

1(12) Arik Armstead - DE - Oregon - I had hoped to trade up to get Kevin White but with so many people submitting lists, nobody was able to talk about a deal. He goes one spot ahead of me. But, that also left me with a couple of solid DL and DeVante Parker. All of which were around the BPA spot and fill a need. I went with Armstead because he's a physical freak who could be a top shelf 3-4 DE. His comparisons to Calais Campbell are just too hard to ignore when you have that spot to fill.

1(17) DeVante Parker - WR - Louisville - With Parker sliding, I had to move up ahead of the Chiefs to make it happen. He's clearly my #3 WR overall, but the last of the top tier of players at that position. Most likely losing Gordon and not much else at the position made this an easy choice. Now JFF, McCown or whomever else ends up at QB for the future have a legit #1 to throw to.

2(43) Bernardrick McKinney - MLB - Mississippi State - Another easy choice. I have a 1st round grade on him and he's a prototype 3-4 MLB. Cleveland was near last in the league in run stoppage and with him and Armstead in the fold that will change quickly.

3(77) Tyler Lockett - WR - Kansas State - I flirted with trading down at this spot as a good deal came to me late in the process, but I felt comfortable taking another highly productive WR that can be a game breaker for the team. The team was so devoid of talent at the spot that even with getting Parker, it was still a need. This now gives them 2 players to pair with Hawkins and create a nice WR core for the future.

4(121) Jeff Heuerman - TE - Ohio State - Solid TE prospect who will be an immediate threat in the passing game, the threat that will be left open as the oft-injured Jordan Cameron leaves in free agency. TE rankings seem to fluctate quite a bit after the top 2 and I had him as my 4th rated TE with a 4th round grade. I had an earlier pick in the round and looked at a few OL and Nick O'Leary, but gainiing another pick to fill another hole later in the draft was too good to pass up knowing someone would fall to me.

Remaining Selections - 5(139), 6(173), 6(185), 6(186), 7(204)

Original Selections - 1(12), 1(19), 2(43), 3(77), 4(108), 4(112), 5(139), 6(173), 6(186), 7(204)

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
[MENTION=70]Simpleton[/MENTION] clear some private messages, i wanted to send you a PM on your team/etc

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Miami's Draft

The Fins have needs at every position and is one example of a team that could get away with a total BPA draft. I felt though the defense needed to become stouter and more dynamic and with Mike Wallace's future as a Dolphin uncertain they could also greatly benefit from more explosiveness and youth at WR, especially with Ryan Tannehill being relatively young himself.

Miami needs "core Dolphins" who enter the NFL wearing aqua to help develop a team identity.

1(14) Alvin Dupree - DE - Kentucky

Dupree has been steadily climbing draft boards in part because of his combination of size, speed, and pass-rushing ability. I think he can play either DE position, and Miami needs this as insurance given Dion Jordan's almost total lack of impact as a pass-rusher. His size gives Miami added power they'll need to stop the run-heavy attacks coming out of Buffalo, NY, and at times even New England.

2(47) Sammie Coates - WR - Auburn

First pick of the morning and I had Coates as my next receiver with Jaelen Strong and Maxx Williams off the board-- and Deuce picked him for me anyway :). A true burner with size, I think Coates soon replaces Wallace and challenges Sammy Watkins for years to come as the best in the division. He is ridiculously fast, and moreover brings a personality and brashness this whole team really needs.

3(78) Michael Bennett - DT - Ohio State

The Dolphins defensive interior collapsed down the stretch and vs the run in general, and though Bennett could be considered an ideal 3-technique, I think he has position flex to play either 1 or 3. He's known for being more quick than powerful, but at 6'2" 290 pounds he has the squat frame I like to see in an interior lineman. Bottom line is Miami needs talent on the defensive interior, and on defense in general. My alternative here would have been Alex Carter if Cleveland grabbed Bennett.

4(111) *Senquez Golson - CB - Mississippi*

Though I truly didn't pick this guy, it fit well with my strategy to continue rebuilding the Dolphin's defense. With Carter long gone, Golson gives Miami some needed quickness vs slot WRs in a division with opposing WR's known more for speed and quickness than size in Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, and Percy Harvin. Though the Dolphins were statistically 6th vs. the pass last season, the stat is an illusion as Miami faced strong run-first attacks in Buffalo and NY that brought the Dolphins down to 24th vs the run.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Deuce said:
1(17) DeVante Parker - WR - Louisville - With Parker sliding, I had to move up ahead of the Chiefs to make it happen. He's clearly my #3 WR overall, but the last of the top tier of players at that position. Most likely losing Gordon and not much else at the position made this an easy choice. Now JFF, McCown or whomever else ends up at QB for the future have a legit #1 to throw to
Yeah, you sonofabitch!

Carp

DCC 4Life
San Diego Chargers

1 (19) Melvin Gordon - RB - Wisconsin--Moved down 2 spots from 17 and picked up a 4th rounder, no brainer there and got Gordon. I am not a big fan of using a 1st on a RB, but he has a chance to be special and SD always seems to be fighting injuries from the RB position.

2(48) Phillip Dorsett - WR - Miami--I was going to take either Coates or Dorsett with this pick and was happy to have Dorsett be the one available. SD already has the bigger type WR in Allen, so Dorsett works out perfectly. Instantly upgrades KR game as well. Gave some consideration to Carl Davis in this spot too.

3(83) Grady Jarrett - DT - Clemson--Glad I passed on Davis so I could choose Jarrett here. May be a bit undersized on the nose in the 3-4, but I think he can get some reps there anyways. Quick and plays with power.

4(108) Steven Nelson - CB - Oregon St--I like Nelson quite a bit and think he is a sleeper in this draft. Not a star, but I think he will have a long career as a #2 or #3 CB. His willingness to defend the run takes him up the ladder for me in terms of CB rankings.

4(114) Nick O'Leary - TE - FSU--This was Winston's go to at FSU. He is kind of a throwback TE...not the most athletic guy going, but he is a solid blocker and catches what is thrown to him. With Gates about done TE seemed like a logical choice and he was excellent value here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jets Draft

I'll start off with how I perceive their current roster. They are obviously a mess offensively, their only redeeming talent over there is Decker, a couple of OL who are aging in Ferguson and Mangold, a decent prospect at TE in Amaro and a couple of decent RB's in Ivory and Powell. Defensively, they probably have the best collection of 3-4, front 7 young talent in the league in Wilkerson, Richardson, Damon Harrison, Coples and Demario Davis. Their secondary is pretty poor although they have some youth at safety they might be willing to gamble on, including 2014 1st rounder Calvin Pryor. Overall though, this is a long-term rebuild and once I got my QB in Mariota at 6, I focused on surrounding him with talent. Yes, I'd like to add another OLB and some better talent in the secondary, but I think Bowles has enough to work with to put together a decent defense for now with all that front 7 talent. If Mariota hadn't fell to me at 6 the draft may have looked different but once he did, my focus was on putting him in a position to succeed, and that means giving him weapons and protection. Plus, on a team like this with so many holes, you're never going to fill all of them with 4 picks, so focusing on Mariota and their horrific offense was my goal.

1.6 - Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon

No brainer with their QB situation. I definitely have some questions about the guy with regard to his ability to transition to a traditional NFL offense, but when you're in the position the Jets are in and you have a chance to roll the dice on a QB with his physical ability and seemingly pristine character/leadership/work ethic, you do it. He may never turn into a true elite QB who can pick apart defenses from the pocket like a Brees, Brady or Manning, but there's no reason he can't be another Cam Newton type, a guy who is decent enough as a passer but who really wins by being a dual threat, and that would be a huge win for the Jets.

2.37 - Devin Smith, WR Ohio St.

Decker is still a guy you can trust to make plays over the short to intermediate with a few deep plays mixed in. Basically I look at him as a reliable #2, possession type who can also stretch the defense just a bit. Amaro is a guy who could turn into a nice receiving TE and Ivory is a bruising between the tackles RB with average speed. To sum it up, the Jets offense needs some juice, someone who can stretch the field and Smith is just that. He can open up the intermediate middle for Decker and gives Mariota a deep speed threat like he was used to at Oregon. WR is also one of the Jets biggest needs in general, if Mariota had been gone at 6 I would've looked at Cooper and White, and the value here matches the need perfectly.

3.70 - Jake Fisher, OT Oregon

Ferguson and Mangold are still good, but aging, and other than that I don't see a whole lot. Giacomini basically sucks at RT and gives you no upside. Fisher is a tough, reliable, versatile type who could start day 1 at RT and potentially move over to LT in a few years. I feel like he will go higher than this in the actual draft so it was a value pick as well in my eyes, the fact that he protected Mariota at Oregon is a plus too.

4.101 - Henry Anderson, DE Stanford

Pure BPA value pick. Positionally I was looking at WR, CB, S, OLB and RB here but Anderson is just too good for me to pass up in the 4th. Perfect 3-4 DE size, productive, great Senior Bowl and I think in the real draft he goes no lower than the middle of the 3rd. I realize this is duplicating talent since the Jets DL is so strong but as I said, this is a long-term build so in the end talent won out for me over positional need. Plus, the Jets will have plenty of cap space to go after free agents to fill holes now that we will have a QB on a rookie deal for the next 4 years.

Overall, I feel really good about what I did. There were still spots I want to upgrade but I did this draft with a long-term view in mind, and in reality I would still have 3 picks left plus a bunch of cap room to fill needs.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
New England Patriots (Vacowboy)

1(32) Jordan Phillips - DT - Oklahoma

Phillips is a big body DT who I had as a late first rounder and is someone I think can come in and be the eventual replacement to Wilfork in the middle of the Pats DL. I tossed around the idea of adding a WR here but had Phillips rated a little higher than next WR on my board.

2(64) Tevin Coleman - RB - Indiana

One of the few needs the Pats have is RB. Despite that, they were able to add a guy like Blount in mid season and be effective enough to win the SB. But an upgrade here will make their offense even more dangerous. Tevin is an all-around every down back who I think can step in and start with the Pats from day one. In a deep RB draft he's a guy I had pegged as a solid mid 2nd rounder.

3(96) Ali Marpet - OG - Hobart
Guard is another area the Pats could use an upgrade. Marpet is a small school product but showed in the Senior Bowl and combine that he is a legit prospect. At the bottom of the 3rd he was one of the top players left on the board and should fill a need as well.

4(98) Markus Golden - DE - Missouri

Golden is a pass rusher that had received some 1st to 2nd round grades early but since has slipped on most boards to the 3-4 round range. I think he's a pass rusher who can play the OLB in the 3-4 and even some DE. A good value and talent at the top of the 4th.

4(128) Doran Grant - CB - Ohio State
Grant is Mr. Irrelevant in the our 4 round draft, but has the skills and potential to provide solid depth in the Pats defensive secondary while also providing insurance in case Revis decides to bolt during FA.

townsend

Banned
Atlanta Falcons
1(8) Randy Gregory - DE - Nebraska In 2014 Atlanta had a woeful 22 Sacks as part of its underwhelming defense. I made the decision to pick Gregory as a much needed pass rusher. With Richard Smith as the defensive coordinator, Gregory fits as a Von Miller style LB/DE hybrid.
2(42) Ameer Abdullah - RB - Nebraska The Falcons running game was relatively productive, but depended heavily on an aging Steven Jackson and a committee of backups. Ameer Abdullah has excellent vision, and acceleration, and makes stunningly quick lateral moves. Behind the Falcons line he should be able to work at least as a backup and 3rd down back as a rookie.
3(73) Byron Jones - CB - Connecticut The 2014 Falcons defense allowed a league high 4478 passing yards. The secondary is in desperate need for an upgrade. In the 3rd and 4th rounds I was able to choose two potential starters. Byron Jones is a 4 year starter at Connecticut, with good size for his position who put up some pretty great numbers at the combine.
4(104) Derron Smith - S - Fresno State Derron Smith isn't an ideal size, but he's an explosive athlete with a knack for interceptions. He can play as either a safety or a nickel corner (a good nickel corner being a must for any team that has to play Drew Brees twice a year).

Between the additions of Gregory, Jones, and Smith the 2015 pass defense should be greatly improved from the previous year, Ameer Abdullah should be an immediate contributor to the offense, and a future starter in a year or two.

Top Bottom