Is McCourty somebody we should be interested in?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Looks like McCourty is out in NE and he seems to be a true FS type.

Is he the type of veteran piece that helps us solidify the secondary and allow the youngster to play his true SS spot and add championship ex to the roster.

Or is he just a average safety who does not really upgrade the D.

Not that familiar with his actual play but he seems to have been a smart versatile piece on that New England D.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Is he an upgrade? Yes.

I'm just not sure if he benefits from playing in a Bellichick's coached defense. He's solid but he has never wowed me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Definitely...I just don't think he fits in financially.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Safeties are not big ticket items I see him getting around 5 to 6 per and around 15 to 20 million in guarantees.

That's worth it if you feel he solidifies the back end of the defense and he is a top special teams guy I think.

Lets you move on from Harris much easier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he an upgrade? Yes.

I'm just not sure if he benefits from playing in a Bellichick's coached defense. He's solid but he has never wowed me.
He is a former top draft pick with corner type coverage skills. I'm not worried about him "benefiting" at all from Belichick. My concern really comes down to cost. If I'm going to spend money in this free agency I'd rather it be on a legit DE.

Plus our coaches for some damn reason think Church is untouchable. Even though I saw him look like absolute warmed over dog shit last year.

cmd34

Brand New Member
He is a former top draft pick with corner type coverage skills. I'm not worried about him "benefiting" at all from Belichick. My concern really comes down to cost. If I'm going to spend money in this free agency I'd rather it be on a legit DE.

Plus our coaches for some damn reason think Church is untouchable. Even though I saw him look like absolute warmed over dog shit last year.
Don't get me wrong, I like McCourty but I just don't see amazing ability when I watch him play. Smart and in-position most of the time? Yes, and that would be a welcomed change.

Church sucks. The further away from the line of scrimmage he gets the more he sucks.

Jiggyfly

Banned

There are no Legit FA DE's to spend money on so the Question is who upgrades your defense more Orakpo, Grahm or McCourty?

cmd34

Brand New Member
I like Jerry Hughes and Pernell McPhee. Both still young. I'd take either of them happily.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are no Legit FA DE's to spend money on so the Question is who upgrades your defense more Orakpo, Grahm or McCourty?
Jerry Hughes is a legit DE and so is Greg Hardy.

I'm also still very interested in Graham. I know he hasn't put up huge numbers yet, but on a snap by snap basis he was actually the Eagles best pressure player last year. I think he would surprise a lot of people with a full time role in our defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Honestly, who besides our own we want to keep does?

That's why I don't even bother hoping for splash free agents. We can't do it and won't do it, no matter how much dumbasses think we will go after top free agent talent.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Trent Cole hitting the market is big...he'd like nothing better than to get some revenge vs Kelly.

Carp

DCC 4Life

That's why I don't even bother hoping for splash free agents. We can't do it and won't do it, no matter how much dumbasses think we will go after top free agent talent.
Thankfully we finally have some talent we should keep.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trent Cole hitting the market is big...he'd like nothing better than to get some revenge vs Kelly.
Revenge is one thing. But would he do it on the cheap?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Revenge is one thing. But would he do it on the cheap?
Probably not, but I hope so. Kind of feel like we need to go all in with this current group...if that means borrowing against Romo's deal.

Jiggyfly

Banned

That's why I brought up McCourty safeties are not usually big ticket items and if we were interested we could make the cap space.

Just not sure if he would be a big difference maker, would you be interested?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's why I brought up McCourty safeties are not usually big ticket items and if we were interested we could make the cap space.
We can always go to the bank of Romo and get into more dead money. That's not a problem. Safeties are at a huge commodity right now as it is a bad bad draft for them. I think McCourty will get more from someone than we are willing to mortgage for.

Just not sure if he would be a big difference maker, would you be interested?
I'd be interested in any safety better than what we have. But what I want doesn't matter.

They seem to think they can win with our combination of Church/Wilcox. They don't have any inclination to spend money on a free agent safety and I doubt they know what a good one looks like in the first place given what we have been dealing with back there since Woodson retired.

Jiggyfly

Banned
We can always go to the bank of Romo and get into more dead money. That's not a problem. Safeties are at a huge commodity right now as it is a bad bad draft for them. I think McCourty will get more from someone than we are willing to mortgage for.

I'd be interested in any safety better than what we have. But what I want doesn't matter.

They seem to think they can win with our combination of Church/Wilcox. They don't have any inclination to spend money on a free agent safety and I doubt they know what a good one looks like in the first place given what we have been dealing with back there since Woodson retired.
Yeah with this weak safety drafty the price will be considerably higher.

Top Bottom