Cowboys Acquire WR Brice Butler

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd say if he doesn't play much by game 5 you cut him with Dez coming back. Just my opinion.

That's pretty cheap though. You figure Oakland has a high sixth. We have a low fifth. You're really just moving down probably 10-15 spots late in the draft.
I agree. Not too worried if this vests.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree. Not too worried if this vests.
Gotta keep in mind that we will get 3-4 comp picks in 2016 as well, so these that we are losing will be replaced.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't have complete faith, we have had some misses too (Mills being most recent).

But I have no question McClay is world's better than Judd Garrett was in that same capacity, in terms of pro personnel.
I wouldn't exactly put Mills in the miss column. Hell, he was barely here long enough to unpack. He was nothing but a churn at the bottom of the roster. Nothing lost. He was on the payroll for what? A week or two?

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Butler certainly sounds like the prototypical Raiders wide receiver. Incredible straight line speed and athleticism with very little fundamental/route running skills.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Archer saying it's a conditional pick, but not clear on what round. Surely it's just a 7th..... surely.
He said 2016 pick.... no damn way we gave up a 5th or higher, right?

Guys?

Please god don't let it be a 5th or higher.
Ugh, he better produce. Or not play 6 games. Either or.
:lol

Not seeing anyone getting upset.
Nope. Me neither.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wouldn't exactly put Mills in the miss column. Hell, he was barely here long enough to unpack. He was nothing but a churn at the bottom of the roster. Nothing lost. He was on the payroll for what? A week or two?
Not sure if Mills is due a guaranteed salary since he was a vet on the roster for week one. Don't know if he qualifies.

How about Brinkley? I'd say that was a bit of a miss.

A pretty expensive one.

I just think McClay gets a lot of mileage out of a few signings.

I don't think he sucks or anything, he is just competent for the most part and I guess that gets people excited, I dunno.

Cotton

Staff member
Nope. Me neither.
Had we given up a straight 5th I would have been upset. Since we didn't, I'm not. The drop of only a few spots was a good point and one I didn't think about after I saw the swapping picks tweet.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I can't think of a team around the league, save for maybe the Patriots, that have hit on more free agent moves than we have under the "McClay era"

Cotton

Staff member
Not sure if Mills is due a guaranteed salary since he was a vet on the roster for week one. Don't know if he qualifies.
Does he have to be on the active roster to qualify for that? Not sure if he was active on Sunday.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys trade for Raiders' Brice Butler to add WR depth

By Jon Machota Follow @jonmachota jmachota@dallasnews.com

The Dallas Cowboys traded for Raiders wide receiver Brice Butler on Tuesday.

Butler tweeted: "Now it's time to play for Americas team! #CowboysNation I'm coming!!!"

If he's on the roster for six games, Dallas will send its fifth-round pick in 2016 to Oakland in exchange for the Raiders' sixth.

Butler was a seventh-round pick for Oakland in 2013. He has 30 catches for 383 yards and two touchdowns in his three-year NFL career, with the bulk of the work coming in 2014.

The Norcross, GA, native played at San Diego State after transferring from USC. The Cowboys gave up a conditional pick in 2016 to Oakland for his services.

The Cowboys were in need of another wide receiver after learning that Dez Bryant would be lost four to six weeks with a broken foot. Wide receivers Hakeem Nicks, Austin Pettis, Nick Toon and Clyde Gates all worked out for the Cowboys on Tuesday.

Staff writer David Moore contributed to this report

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well..there you have it. I was waiting to see what Matthew Bagley had to say about it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So who's fingerprints are on this one? Looks like a great steal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

p1_

DCC 4Life
So fellas, who is he competing with in terms of the depth at WR? Beasley or Street? I would imagine Street just got bumped down a notch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So fellas, who is he competing with in terms of the depth at WR? Beasley or Street? I would imagine Street just got bumped down a notch.
I don't think this affects Street this week. This guy is not good enough to vault up to the second or third WR on this roster without knowing the terminology.

Street sucks this week, then maybe.

Top Bottom