PFT: Rosters could expand to 55

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rosters could expand to 55

Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2015, 1:46 PM EST

The Competition Committee’s annual pre-league meeting get-together includes, for 2015, examination of roster size.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Competition Committee is considering expanding rosters from 53 to 55.

Opposition to larger rosters previously came from the fact that more than a few teams were having trouble staying under a salary cap that was flat and/or “smoothing.” In recent years, the salary cap has been increasing more quickly. Coupled with the impact of the rookie wage scale on the market for veterans (many are paid less and less because quality rookies are cheaper than ever), there’s plenty of extra cash available under the cap to pay two more players per team.

The NFL Players Association would have a voice in roster expansion. At one level, the union should welcome it; more roster spots means more jobs. More jobs means more employees. More employees means the union grows.

But more jobs under a hard cap means fewer available dollars per employees. That said, expanding the pool of full-time workers from 1,696 to 1,760 shouldn’t have much of a total impact on employees sharing a maximum available annual payroll of more than $4.5 billion, and climbing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not two. One of those is saved for Matt Johnson.
That guy actually announced his "retirement":

D

Deuce

That guy actually announced his "retirement":

Someday soon, I hope we draft Berry-O version 3.0. Maybe he'll pan out unlike the other 2.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
big_odieThat sucks! Only you know what's best for you! You're a Cowboy for life! I'm happy I was able to see you play in Oxnard thanks for giving my boys and I a autograph definitely bitter sweet! You'll be a great coach!! ✌
This person posted this on Johnson's Instagram page.

Wow.

COWBOY4LIF DOOD!

D

Deuce

I'm hoping for a Beasley situation. He'll unretire in a few days and then set the league on fire!

:unsure

Top Bottom