Machota: Jerry Jones - We've been thinking about drafting our QB of the future

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: We've been thinking about drafting our QB of the future, and almost did in 2014

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

When Jerry Jones has been asked recently about the Cowboys drafting a quarterback of the future, he has often referred back to 2014 when Dallas picked Zack Martin over Johnny Manziel.

The Cowboys owner and general manager is pleased with the All-Pro right guard they landed, but that hasn't stopped him from mentioning the Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M.

Although Manziel's name never came out of his mouth Tuesday morning, Jones brought up the scenario again when asked if the Cowboys would be willing to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick in 2016.

"Well, two years ago the same dynamic was there," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "What happens in the future when and if we don't have [Tony] Romo? I'll be very candid with you, certainly a backup to Romo, we still probably would have had a veteran in the mix at some point two years ago.

"But there's no doubt, when a top player on your board, and he certainly was there in our top five or six players, when he drops down there and you're drafting in the twenties or some place in that range, and you're in our situation, you have to look at our quarterback league, because that's how [Ben] Roethlisberger happens, that's how they get down there. [Brandon] Weeden was, of course, Cleveland's move like that, and it didn't pan out.

"And that's the other thing I've got to mention, just because they're drafted in the first round doesn't mean they pan out. I think they got a better chance to pan out, but not necessarily do they pan out.

"So, yeah, we've been thinking about it, and thinking about when the time to, the confluence of the opportunity in the draft as well as the right player comes along. As you know, I was a committee of one that year [2014] that was thinking that we could make it -- I don't want to even go into names. I don't want to get involved in that.

"The bottom line is, we should've been thinking - that's my job really, if it's anybody's job. I've got to be looking ahead like that, really ahead like that. So I'd say not having a young, on the come, very talented, obvious quarterback that could be coming in and getting snaps and possibly winning ballgames, that's on me because we passed on it two years ago."

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
At least he isn't gushing over Moore and realizes the next qb isn't here

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At least he isn't gushing over Moore and realizes the next qb isn't here
If that were the case, he would really have to be committed.

Both he and Goof Son have said the same things. Impressed with the poise. It was nice, etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Br drafting, he means not drafting, but pulling off the streets. And by pulling off the streets he means finding some gem in the rough. And by gem in the rough he means at the gloryhole.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Br drafting, he means not drafting, but pulling off the streets. And by pulling off the streets he means finding some gem in the rough. And by gem in the rough he means at the gloryhole.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I seem to get a headache whenever I try to read one of Jerry's quotes. His sentences seem to be only slightly coherent.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I seem to get a headache whenever I try to read one of Jerry's quotes. His sentences seem to be only slightly coherent.
Senility is setting in. Be thankful.

Cotton

Staff member
Senility is setting in. Be thankful.
Yeah, because we have seen what a sane Jerry will do. Imagine what a crazy one will do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually sounds like Jerry is really regretting not taking Manziel. Sort of hints at that with his talking about not taking a QB 2 years ago being his fault.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Softening the blow for a Manziel trade.

townsend

Banned
I'd still say Manziel is worth a 4th. It's not like the coaching staff he's coming from is any better, and it's probably our only shot to get a prospective starting QB without spending our top 5 pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd still say Manziel is worth a 4th. It's not like the coaching staff he's coming from is any better, and it's probably our only shot to get a prospective starting QB without spending our top 5 pick.
No and at worst he would be a top notch backup for us with his ability to kind of make things happen outside of the play design.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't see them letting him go or trading him on the cheap.

He has been classically decent the last 2 weeks.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If the two QBs are worth taking they'll go to Cleveland and SF. Looks like the 49ers will draft ahead of us if we both lose out.

Cotton

Staff member
Definitely better than whatever we'd inevitably blow our 4th round pick on.
While probably true, it's still stupid logic. The man not only won't we able to succeed at QB in this league, but he can't get his own head out of his ass long enough to try.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
While probably true, it's still stupid logic. The man not only won't we able to succeed at QB in this league, but he can't get his own head out of his ass long enough to try.
His last indiscretion... was drinking responsibly in Austin. This is pretty much Dez sagging at the mall level bad-actor behavior. Some perspective is reasonably applied here.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
His last indiscretion... was drinking responsibly in Austin. This is pretty much Dez sagging at the mall level bad-actor behavior. Some perspective is reasonably applied here.
I completely disagree. His latest indiscretion was drinking after going through rehab. Any drinking for him is irresponsible drinking. Then he lied to his team about it.

Even if you set aside the question of whether or not he can actually play, you can't trust him on at least two levels.

If he's Brett Favre, you deal with it. If he's Quincy Carter, you run hard the other way.

And I know which of the two I'd compare him to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I completely disagree. His latest indiscretion was drinking after going through rehab. Any drinking for him is irresponsible drinking. Then he lied to his team about it.
So if someone goes to rehab you don't think they can ever drink again? I think that's a pretty ridiculous assumption. I seriously doubt he is a legitimate alcoholic who needs to stay away from booze the rest of his life. Going to rehab shouldn't be used as a barameter to punish people.

Top Bottom