Doug Free to be free agent

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't help but think Martin would be a better RT than Parnell. And probably better than Free.
We could sign a FA like Barksdale/Newton or draft a guy like Darryl Williams and they might be better.

The idea is to keep the integrity inside. Romo does not have a problem, even hurt, spinning out of an outside rush. He does fold and go fetal when there is interior pressure.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just meant that if you move Martin, you still have strength inside from Frederick. Who you pair him up with is the question. But the drop off from Free to Parnell affected the line play significantly. I don't really want to see us try to make that a permanent move. I think it might be easier to find a suitable guard than a strong RT.
I did not see this massive drop off when Free was out. Matter of fact, we ran right behind Parnell vs Seattle after Free left the game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was pretty much built into the deal from a couple of years ago. This is not a surprise to anyone and really doesn't change anything.

They just have to make the decision between signing Free back, signing Parnell instead, or drafting a RT. I don't think they move Martin.
Agreed. Not wise fucking around with a formula that produced an All-Pro guard.

Larry Allen is one of the few supermen who could play in dominating fashion at any position, and while I love Martin he will never be as dominant as Larry Allen.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That is what made me sort of think that moving Martin out would be OK if we found a good G to replace him. When Parnell came in it made a huge difference in our game.
Actually it did not the offense had some of their best games down the stretch.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The biggest dropoff in OL play was when Leary was out and we had to start Bernadeau.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's about what mix gives you the best group of 5. You don't have to move Martin today.

You know heading into this offseason you need a starting caliber guard OR tackle. You'd probably prefer that it's a tackle since you know how good Martin is at guard. Whether that comes from the draft, an outside FA, or re-signing Free, you need one of those two positions though. Take what presents the best value. If you have a starting caliber guard on your board in the third round, though, and no equivalent tackle, I'm taking the guard and moving Martin out. I don't buy that he will be a vastly inferior player at tackle, I think he'll be strong there as well. I wouldn't be worried about that move, whether he's a bit better at guard or not.

Top Bottom