NBA Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I barely saw the dunk contest today.

It was nice to see a real dunker doing real dunks for the first time in many years.

No gimmicks, no stupid props, just pure athleticism.

Props to Lavine for a great performance.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I didn't watch any of the contests or the game. Bad luck for them to run in to SNL 40 and TWD.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's looking like Stoudemire is coming to the Mavs.

shane

DCC 4Life
It's looking like Stoudemire is coming to the Mavs.
Mavs are looking like they could make a serious run. Going to be a great year in the playoffs in both conferences, although the West is going to be unbelievable.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I didn't watch any of the contests or the game. Bad luck for them to run in to SNL 40 and TWD.
Yea, I didn't catch any of it either and just saw the dunk contest yesterday on YouTube while I was at work.

It just doesn't appeal to me like it used to.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yea, I didn't catch any of it either and just saw the dunk contest yesterday on YouTube while I was at work.

It just doesn't appeal to me like it used to.
Let me guess.... since Spud Webb?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Let me guess.... since Spud Webb?
:mad

Nope, the last truly good dunk contest was probably 2000 when Vince Carter put on a show.

That was actually a great contest all around with Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady putting on some impressive dunks as well.

Since then, there's been a few good competitors, but the competition as a whole has been lacking......especially in recent years where the competitors and the competition were both poor.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mavs are looking like they could make a serious run. Going to be a great year in the playoffs in both conferences, although the West is going to be unbelievable.
They made some moves, but it is not enough. I think if they match up with Hou in the first round they have a chance...maybe the Clips too, but if they draw GS, Port, Mem, or SA they are cooked.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They made some moves, but it is not enough. I think if they match up with Hou in the first round they have a chance...maybe the Clips too, but if they draw GS, Port, Mem, or SA they are cooked.
Yea, the Mavs are a good team - emphasis on good. They aren't even close to being a great or elite team, and their record vs the top teams in the West proves that.

Of the top 7 teams in the West, they've only managed to beat Portland and Memphis. They beat San Antonio, but that was without Tony Parker, Kawae Leonard and Tim Duncan. They also lost both meetings to Houston and they didn't have Dwight Howard for either contest.

Point is, the Mavs can be dangerous on any given night and they're fun to watch at times, but they simply aren't good enough to beat any of the real contenders in a playoff series.

Carp

DCC 4Life
:mad

Nope, the last truly good dunk contest was probably 2000 when Vince Carter put on a show.

That was actually a great contest all around with Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady putting on some impressive dunks as well.

Since then, there's been a few good competitors, but the competition as a whole has been lacking......especially in recent years where the competitors and the competition were both poor.
I thought the year when Blake Griffin did it, that was entertaining. Problem is they line up a bunch of players I could give two shits about. I think age has something to do with it too...dunks don't impress me.

Carp

DCC 4Life

This guy looked like a star in the making. The buyout is for only 13 mil of his 44 mil...crazy. I hope he gets sorted out and does not waste his talent.

Carp

DCC 4Life

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Carmelo shutting it down for the year really bothers me. He's able to play 30 minutes at the All-Star game but can't give his team 20-25 minutes a night the last two months of the season?

Obviously the injury isn't too severe since he was able to play through it Sunday night.

Between the comments he made about regretting not signing with the Bulls and him deciding to shut it down for the season, I don't see how Knick fans can root for the guy.

I know it won't happen but this is one of those scenarios where the Knicks should do something to compensate season ticket holders.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Carmelo shutting it down for the year really bothers me. He's able to play 30 minutes at the All-Star game but can't give his team 20-25 minutes a night the last two months of the season?

Obviously the injury isn't too severe since he was able to play through it Sunday night.

Between the comments he made about regretting not signing with the Bulls and him deciding to shut it down for the season, I don't see how Knick fans can root for the guy.

I know it won't happen but this is one of those scenarios where the Knicks should do something to compensate season ticket holders.
Agreed, it's a complete bullshit move. And if he wasn't such a greedy idiot he wouldn't have to sit out the rest of the year to avoid the embarrassment that is the Knicks but hey. It's been a blessing that he didn't sign in Chicago though honestly.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Agreed, it's a complete bullshit move. And if he wasn't such a greedy idiot he wouldn't have to sit out the rest of the year to avoid the embarrassment that is the Knicks but hey. It's been a blessing that he didn't sign in Chicago though honestly.
I was amazed the Knicks were dumb enough to sign him, but Phil or no Phil, it's still the Knicks.

D

Deuce

The Blazers send Thomas Robinson, Will Barton, Victor Claver and a lottery-protected 2016 first-round pick to the Nuggets for Afflalo and Alonzo Gee.

Also, the Brooklyn Nets and Oklahoma City Thunder are engaged in serious talks on a trade that could swap disgruntled point guard Reggie Jackson for center Brook Lopez. I wonder if acquiring Jackson would lead to a Deron Williams deal too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just waiting for Philly to make that move for the playoff push.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sixers To Acquire JaVale McGee, First-Rounder

February 19 at 11:29am CST By Chuck Myron

11:29am: The rights to draft-and-stash prospect Cenk Akyol are headed from the Sixers to the Nuggets, tweets Orazio Cauchi of Sportando.

11:17am: Denver will get the rights to one of the foreign players stashed overseas by the Sixers, a source tells Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated (via Twitter). Mannix also notes that the Nuggets will create a sizable trade exception in the deal.

10:58am: The Nuggets and Sixers have agreed to send JaVale McGee to Philly, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link) Wojnarowski had just reported that the sides were deep in talks (Twitter link). Philadelphia gets the Thunder’s 2015 first-round pick, which Denver picked up in the Timofey Mozgov trade last month, according to Wojnarowski. Christopher Dempsey of The Denver Post reported moments earlier that the Nuggets were closing in on a trade involving McGee.

McGee missed most of 2013/14 thanks to stress fracture in his leg and has also missed time this year because of an injury in the same area. Across the last two seasons, McGee has played in a grand total of 22 games for the Nuggets. The high-flying 7-footer has career averages of 8.5 PPG and 5.6 RPG. His best season arguably came in 2011/12, split between the Wizards and Nuggets, where he averaged 11.3 PPG and 7.8 RPG in 25.2 minutes per night.

Denver reportedly wanted to move McGee more than any other player on the roster. They tried repeatedly to swing a deal for Brook Lopez with the Nets involving McGee, but that never came to fruition.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kings, Wizards To Swap Sessions, Miller

February 19 at 11:02am CST By Chuck Myron

The Kings and Wizards have agreed to swap Ramon Sessions and Andre Miller, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link). New Kings coach George Karl had pushed to acquire Miller, whom he coached in Denver, Wojnarowski writes in a full story. The Wizards had been seeking an upgrade in the backcourt as Miller had lost playing time to Garrett Temple of late.

Top Bottom