Religion thread...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Grapes, alcohol, long hair, not being willing to discuss with teenagers, musical instruments...sheesh no wonder y'all are heathens now. You had terrible leaders.

:tiptoe

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was brought up in a Southern Baptist church and I questioned/challenged my pastor about the teachings of the church & Bible all of the time as a teenager until he pulled out the "Well, I don't have perfect answers to all of your questions. It just comes down to faith". That's about the point where I decided I was done with it altogether.

I laughed when I read the "grapes were different back then" line because a) that's absurd and b) it kind of reminded me a little of something my hillbilly great grandmother said to me when I was younger. She was an awesome lady and a hard core Baptist. When I was in my early 20s I had long hair for a while. Really seemed to bother my great grandma and from time to time she would tell me I should cut it because guys shouldn't "wear their hair long like that". I eventually was like "Well grandma, Jesus had long hair. You want me to be like Jesus, right?". At first she was all :unsure but then she came back with "Well, times were different back then".

CSB
You sure Jesus had long hair? :art

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I was brought up in a Southern Baptist church and I questioned/challenged my pastor about the teachings of the church & Bible all of the time as a teenager until he pulled out the "Well, I don't have perfect answers to all of your questions. It just comes down to faith". That's about the point where I decided I was done with it altogether.

I laughed when I read the "grapes were different back then" line because a) that's absurd and b) it kind of reminded me a little of something my hillbilly great grandmother said to me when I was younger. She was an awesome lady and a hard core Baptist. When I was in my early 20s I had long hair for a while. Really seemed to bother my great grandma and from time to time she would tell me I should cut it because guys shouldn't "wear their hair long like that". I eventually was like "Well grandma, Jesus had long hair. You want me to be like Jesus, right?". At first she was all :unsure but then she came back with "Well, times were different back then".

CSB
We have fairly similar backgrounds it seems.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
In my very young youth my parents were Church of Christ members - the hard core, fire and brimstone, burn in hell, demons gone git you stuff. Then around age six my mom ran off with some fireman guy, who turned out to be a Jehovah's Witless.

So....

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jehovah's Witness as Oprah:

You get a planet! You get a planet! And you get a planet! You all get planets!!!

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You sure Jesus had long hair? :art
If so I hope God got on teenage Jesus' case like "Jesus Christ, cut your hair! You're starting to look like your mother. And clean up your room. It looks like a pig sty!". :art

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I like it when Christians, who pretty much all follow a basic statement of faith concerning the bible, make stuff up as they go. /sarcasm

There has been so much horse crap that has been spewed over the years, it is not even funny. What is even funnier/sadder is when folks try to twist the bible to fit some weird agenda or fear that people have.

The new testament time that we live in boils down to one thing really simply - the gospel of Jesus.

1. God is not angry and he isn't raining down judgment on anyone. That's right, NOBODY AT ALL. Wrath was already poured out on Jesus on the cross. Yeah, he didn't kill anyone in a hurricane or anything like that.

2. Judgment is reserved for judgment day. That day is based on two things - 1) you are a believer 2) or you aren't. That's right again, folks...if you do not want Jesus when you are alive then you get exactly that forever...separation from God. Congrats, you won the prize that you wanted.

3. The biggest lie ever perpetrated on the church and society as a whole is that right living comes before reconciliation and that this terrible cycle of being reconciled to God and then falling away is a giant, horrific train ride that never ends until you die. That is not the gospel of Jesus. In fact, the bible bears it out repeatedly. One of the most famous times is when Jesus finds the women caught in adultery. Jesus basically told her that He didn't condemn her. He said go and sin no more after he forgave her. He didn't tell her to go and get her life right and come back once she did that. He forgave her and then she changed after she understood this forgiveness.

4. Satan actually means accuser. Those in the church that use God's name, the bible or whatever to accuse people of sin are actually being used as agents of Satan. Yeah, I said it and I ain't takin it back. Somehow it got twisted along the way. People forgot what Jesus was really teaching. The bible isn't a behavior modification tool to be used by weirdos who are afraid of this world. Those that lead with that teaching are misguided. If they are interested in living and spread the gospel of Jesus, that is.

Now, I know that some will come along say that the bible is this and the bible is that. All of that is fine and wonderful. I suppose if you aren't a fan of scripture then there really isn't much I can say or do. I know that some reject the gospel because they have a wrong view of what it really is. Others argue against it using commentary of 'experts'. All I am trying to (poorly perhaps) say is what the bible actually is about. The gospel of freedom starts at the crucifixion of Jesus in the bible and goes forward. That is pretty much the meat and potatoes of what we are dealing with.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Alcohol - is addressed by Jesus and the bible. Don't be given to drunkenness, it clouds your judgment and causes problems. That sounds like pretty good advice. Jesus drank wine. Wine is good. The kind with alcohol in it.

Long hair - WTHeck? What cares? /insert picture of Jesus laughing at such trivial stuff

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Alcohol - is addressed by Jesus and the bible. Don't be given to drunkenness, it clouds your judgment and causes problems. That sounds like pretty good advice. Jesus drunk wine. Wine is good. The kind with alcohol in it.

Long hair - WTHeck? What cares? /insert picture of Jesus laughing at such trivial stuff
Yeah the long hair thing was just a hangup up of my great grandma, not anything the church said. She was a little old lady originally from southwestern Kentucky and had certain ideas of how a man should and shouldn't look is all.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah the long hair thing was just a hangup up of my great grandma, not anything the church said. She was a little old lady originally from southwestern Kentucky and had certain ideas of how a man should and shouldn't look is all.
I was wrongly using grandma as an example. Still, there are a bunch of weird people that try to pull crap like that in the name of something.

I remember one pastor arguing with a member about "Christian" music (whatever that is). He was saying that there is no way that the music could be Christian because the guys voice was gravelly like da debil. He tried to use some scriptures to back up his claim, which got off track and weird really soon.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I was wrongly using grandma as an example. Still, there are a bunch of weird people that try to pull crap like that in the name of something.

I remember one pastor arguing with a member about "Christian" music (whatever that is). He was saying that there is no way that the music could be Christian because the guys voice was gravelly like da debil. He tried to use some scriptures to back up his claim, which got off track and weird really soon.
Sure. Some people get weird about it. It is nitpicking to worry about the guy's style/delivery if his message is Christian. It really is. Not everyone is that way, but a lot of people still have a certain idea of what a Christian is supposed to look like.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I like it when Christians, who pretty much all follow a basic statement of faith concerning the bible, make stuff up as they go. /sarcasm

There has been so much horse crap that has been spewed over the years, it is not even funny. What is even funnier/sadder is when folks try to twist the bible to fit some weird agenda or fear that people have.

The new testament time that we live in boils down to one thing really simply - the gospel of Jesus.

1. God is not angry and he isn't raining down judgment on anyone. That's right, NOBODY AT ALL. Wrath was already poured out on Jesus on the cross. Yeah, he didn't kill anyone in a hurricane or anything like that.

2. Judgment is reserved for judgment day. That day is based on two things - 1) you are a believer 2) or you aren't. That's right again, folks...if you do not want Jesus when you are alive then you get exactly that forever...separation from God. Congrats, you won the prize that you wanted.

3. The biggest lie ever perpetrated on the church and society as a whole is that right living comes before reconciliation and that this terrible cycle of being reconciled to God and then falling away is a giant, horrific train ride that never ends until you die. That is not the gospel of Jesus. In fact, the bible bears it out repeatedly. One of the most famous times is when Jesus finds the women caught in adultery. Jesus basically told her that He didn't condemn her. He said go and sin no more after he forgave her. He didn't tell her to go and get her life right and come back once she did that. He forgave her and then she changed after she understood this forgiveness.

4. Satan actually means accuser. Those in the church that use God's name, the bible or whatever to accuse people of sin are actually being used as agents of Satan. Yeah, I said it and I ain't takin it back. Somehow it got twisted along the way. People forgot what Jesus was really teaching. The bible isn't a behavior modification tool to be used by weirdos who are afraid of this world. Those that lead with that teaching are misguided. If they are interested in living and spread the gospel of Jesus, that is.

Now, I know that some will come along say that the bible is this and the bible is that. All of that is fine and wonderful. I suppose if you aren't a fan of scripture then there really isn't much I can say or do. I know that some reject the gospel because they have a wrong view of what it really is. Others argue against it using commentary of 'experts'. All I am trying to (poorly perhaps) say is what the bible actually is about. The gospel of freedom starts at the crucifixion of Jesus in the bible and goes forward. That is pretty much the meat and potatoes of what we are dealing with.
Yep. Best freebie known to mankind ever. Use it or lose it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

You would not have gotten along with the Baptists and Christers I grew up around.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The main tenets of the Baptist Churches in Abilene and Big Spring:

1. Pathological hatred of Catholics.

2. Pretending they don't see each other in the liquor store.

Church of Christ (Abilene and Brownwood):

1. No one but the Church of Christ is going to Heaven and they won't vouch for any other CoC church but theirs. They teach that you lose your salvation every time you sin and have to go get it back through good works and prayer.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Clay, I am familiar with those religious idea that sprung up out of folk's imagination. I'm from west Texas and spent many years around these guys involved in a few different groups that tried to bring unity on a weekly basis between the different churches.

1. Pray Lubbock - meet regularly with folks from all denominations to pray together about various issues. Basically bring everyone together in unity and get on common ground by pray for eachother with and drop whatever prejudice there is.

2. Night to Worship - every Sunday night people from all backgrounds picks a different church around town and worships in their church, their style.

That and the fact that we did a new church start-up in Lubbock in 1995 and one in 2005 in Tampa FL. I saw it every week in west Texas where people were totally ate up with BS religion and totally confused about what the bible teaches about the love of Christ.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
While it didn't change how I feel, I really do appreciate skid typing all that out. I actually agree with a lot of it.

Jiggyfly

Banned

CSB
:lol

2233boys

Not So New Member
You say protestants are sola scriptura, but the Baptists think none of the wine in the bible had alcohol in it and the Church of Christ think the bible prohibits musical instruments, even though neither of those ideas is biblical or even reasonable.
Not true I belong to a Church of Christ and we be jamming up in there. All kinds of instruments, electric guitars, drums, piano, keyboard, organ, bass, violins, saxophones, trumpets, trombones. You name it we've had it played in a service.

Top Bottom