Water damaged iPhone

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I just heard from my wife. She dropped her iPhone in the toilet. I am not happy. It was an accident, but one that could have been avoided. Why in the hell would someone take out their iPhone until the threat of dropping it in the water is removed from the situation?

Has anyone ever had this happen? I know the common suggestion is to put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Has anyone done this and, if so, did it work?

D

Deuce

My wife dropped hers in a pot of water while prepping stuff in the kitchen. She did the right method and it worked after a few days again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I just heard from my wife. She dropped her iPhone in the toilet. I am not happy. It was an accident, but one that could have been avoided. Why in the hell would someone take out their iPhone until the threat of dropping it in the water is removed from the situation?

Has anyone ever had this happen? I know the common suggestion is to put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Has anyone done this and, if so, did it work?
I have used the rice thing and it works. My wife had to jump in a pool to right my daughter that went face down in a pool, and she had her phone in her pocket. We did the rice thing, and it worked. It wasn't an iPhone, but I imagine it would work for one.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
OK, well that makes me feel a little bit better. I hope to hell it works because I have been shelling out a lot of money for bullshit lately and I am not thrilled about the idea of having to buy a new iPhone. Especially since my youngest daughter will be starting middle school in the fall and we have to get her one at the end of this school year.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I've done it with success as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
OK, well that makes me feel a little bit better. I hope to hell it works because I have been shelling out a lot of money for bullshit lately and I am not thrilled about the idea of having to buy a new iPhone. Especially since my youngest daughter will be starting middle school in the fall and we have to get her one at the end of this school year.
Why do you have to get your daughter a iPhone?

Not being judgemental just want to know if it was a promise or something, that's a pretty expensive phone for somebody that age.

Anyway good luck with the phone.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Why do you have to get your daughter a iPhone?

Not being judgemental just want to know if it was a promise or something, that's a pretty expensive phone for somebody that age.

Anyway good luck with the phone.
Ummm, because we're white people. Duh. :art

Honestly the way I phrased that was probably a little misleading. The youngest probably won't be getting an iPhone, but I do have to get her a phone as well as add her to our plan, which will of course increase our bill. Both daughters starting asking for a cell phone in early elementary school and we took that stance that they could wait until middle school when it becomes a little more necessary. My oldest daughter didn't have a smart phone at all in 6th and 7th grade, just a cheap phone with the slide out keypad for texting that we got her as soon as her 5th grade school year was over.

My wife, oldest daughter and I all upgraded to iPhones last spring though (when my oldest was getting ready to go into 8th grade) and I have been thinking that we would may just go ahead and get the youngest one an iPhone as well. Odds are though, we'll probably get her a cheap smartphone that she can use for a couple of years. I want her to prove she can keep track of it and not lose it, for one.

I have been an Apple guy my whole life though and I have used a Mac my entire professional career, as well as bought Macs/iPods/iPads, etc, for my home. My wife and girls are already familiar with the platform so it is a pretty easy transition, albeit a more expensive option than some of the alternatives.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned

Honestly the way I phrased that was probably a little misleading. The youngest probably won't be getting an iPhone, but I do have to get her a phone as well as add her to our plan, which will of course increase our bill. Both daughters starting asking for a cell phone in early elementary school and we took that stance that they could wait until middle school when it becomes a little more necessary. My oldest daughter didn't have a smart phone at all in 6th and 7th grade, just a cheap phone with the slide out keypad for texting that we got her as soon as her 5th grade school year was over.

My wife, oldest daughter and I all upgraded to iPhones last spring though (when my oldest was getting ready to go into 8th grade) and I have been thinking that we would may just go ahead and get the youngest one an iPhone as well. Odds are though, we'll probably get her a cheap smartphone that she can use for a couple of years. I want her to prove she can keep track of it and not lose it, for one.

I have been an Apple guy my whole life though and I have used a Mac my entire professional career, as well as bought Macs/iPods/iPads, etc, for my home. My wife and girls are already familiar with the platform so it is a pretty easy transition, albeit a more expensive option than some of the alternatives.
Ok, it was it was none of my business anyway but I am a bit of a cheap bastard and those iPhone prices are steep.

It might be hard to get her to go away from a iPhone at this point , good luck.:lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I've had success with the rice trick as well, also I got one phone to come back with a few silica packs when the rice didn't work.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The key to restoring the phone is to make sure it is completely dry before you try to turn it on. If you turrn it on wet it's done. Use rice or even salt for that mattrer, just be sure it is dry before applying power. Actually you dont have to use anything to dry it other than evaporation.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The key to restoring the phone is to make sure it is completely dry before you try to turn it on. If you turrn it on wet it's done. Use rice or even salt for that mattrer, just be sure it is dry before applying power. Actually you dont have to use anything to dry it other than evaporation.
Noted. Thanks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Life case or something like that. Waterproof crush proof.
Yep. Lifeproof. They cost about 80-90 bucks, but they are guaranteed and well worth the money. You have to register them along with your phone. They'll cover everything except theft/loss. I have them on all of ours. They are barely bigger than the phone itself, but make it virtually indestructible. My kids take pictures with their phones underwater with them. It's pretty cool.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/?medium=tsa&gclid=COD15eqkg8QCFReTfgodRxIA_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

I've had the same dilemma. My 11 year old daughter has been asking about a phone for a year now. I've put her off so far, but she started doing stuff without Mom and Dad now so it's gonna be harder to maintain that stance soon.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yep. Lifeproof. They cost about 80-90 bucks, but they are guaranteed and well worth the money. You have to register them along with your phone. They'll cover everything except theft/loss. I have them on all of ours. They are barely bigger than the phone itself, but make it virtually indestructible. My kids take pictures with their phones underwater with them. It's pretty cool.
With a military or government ID you can get them at govx.com for about $60.

D

Deuce

Why not just get them iPod touches or something. Most kids just want to text and play games anyhow, plus it's cheaper and you don't have to have a monthly fee.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
No shit? Wish I had known that. I have four of them for me, my wife, and two daughters.
Yepper. Sorry you didn't know. It's a site that caters to military and police. You should sign up anyway. They have lots of stuff you might be interested in.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Why not just get them iPod touches or something. Most kids just want to text and play games anyhow, plus it's cheaper and you don't have to have a monthly fee.
I gave my daughter my old Iphone 5 without the SIM car. She can use it connected to wifi but not for calls. It's getting to the point she may need that access.

Top Bottom