Doug Free to be free agent

BipolarFuk

Demoted
by Sean d'Oliveira | CBSSports.com
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:02 AM ET

The 2015 and 2016 contract years of Cowboys offensive lineman Doug Free became void Sunday, according to CBSSports.com's Joel Corry.

As a result, Free will become an unrestricted free agent when the 2015 league year starts March 10. The Cowboys will have a $3.98 million salary cap charge from the bonus proration associated with Free's 2015 and 2016 contract.

D

Deuce

No reason why it's voided? If it was Free's call, he obviously feels he deserves more. Time to kick Martin outside.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Im pretty sure it wasnt Frees choice. Wasnt his cap number 11 million this year? Im hoping to sign him again and leave Martin inside.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Another shrewd move by Jerruh. It's like the twilight zone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No reason why it's voided? If it was Free's call, he obviously feels he deserves more. Time to kick Martin outside.
It was pretty much built into the deal from a couple of years ago. This is not a surprise to anyone and really doesn't change anything.

They just have to make the decision between signing Free back, signing Parnell instead, or drafting a RT. I don't think they move Martin.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I've been back and forth in my head about kicking Martin outside. At this point, I think we should. I don't really like the FA group at RT. There aren't a lot of guys who would be an upgrade over Free, or a cheaper option at the same level of play. Orlando Franklin, maybe?

If we kick Martin out to RT and sign a guy like James Carpenter or Clint Boling the guard play will be good enough because both guards will be playing between two pro bowlers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Moving Martin outside would be stupid. We have a rookie that had an allpro year there. Yeah, lets fuck with that and hope he can play even close to that well on the outside. Not to mention, then finding someone to replace the allpro in the middle.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Moving Martin outside would be stupid. We have a rookie that had an allpro year there. Yeah, lets fuck with that and hope he can play even close to that well on the outside. Not to mention, then finding someone to replace the allpro in the middle.
I trust the coaches and scouts to get it right with this move. If they move him outside I think it's because they have good reason to believe that he will play just as well there and be an Erik Williams-like monster at RT. If they keep him in then it's probably because they see him as a Guard, period. If they go with the latter I hope they sign a free agent like Orlando Franklin and don't force a draft pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We didn't even work him at all at RT during his first camp, not even a little. He got more work at center.

It is smarter to leave him as is, then decide to either bring Free back (Parnell is not worth it) or get another guy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not moving Martin at this point. No reason to jack with him and Fred's chemistry.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We didn't even work him at all at RT during his first camp, not even a little. He got more work at center.

It is smarter to leave him as is, then decide to either bring Free back (Parnell is not worth it) or get another guy.
I think they more likely offer Parnell a cheap deal and expect to pick a guy to compete with him but I think that's risky.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think they more likely offer Parnell a cheap deal and expect to pick a guy to compete with him but I think that's risky.
What we have paid Parnell to this point wasn't "cheap". I don't want to pay him any more than that. Let some other dumb ass team sign him for more than he is worth.

D

Deuce

I don't see the difference between this situation and Smith moving from the right side after a year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't see the difference between this situation and Smith moving from the right side after a year.
Smith wasn't an All Pro at his new position. He also wasn't a year removed from playing a single down of tackle.

At any rate, I think Martin is better off being an All Pro guard than playing RT, which would be a side switch from what he did at Notre Dame.

He wouldn't be horrible at it. But the chemistry we got with him inside was integral overall. No way I mess with that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Derek Newton might be a guy to kick the tires on. Mentioned Franklin before, he played guard in 2014 but he was Denver's starting RT before that. Not a fan of Bulaga.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just don't understand why anybody would want to move a all pro and thereby weaken two positions.

Your RT is learning all over again and you are hoping to get average play at G never mind at a all pro level.

Nobody believes Parnell is the answer but we do know a average replacement for Free keeps the offensive line playing at a high level.

Finding another RT is the easier route in my opinion especially considering there is a somewhat new o-line coach.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't want to move him outside either...Parnell can be the RT and we can draft a prospect. I think it limits Martin because he is so good pulling. Also, Leary was good, but I worry about his longterm health...would rather not have to replace both OG if he were to have knee issues. Now since they were serious about Trai Turner they were thinking already about Martin outside, but that was before he had an All Pro season at G.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't want to move him outside either...Parnell can be the RT and we can draft a prospect.
Hopefully a team like Jacksonville overpays for Parnell. I don't want to be that team that regrets paying him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hopefully a team like Jacksonville overpays for Parnell. I don't want to be that team that regrets paying him.
I don’t think we'll overpay, so if he has value elsewhere, so be it. We'd be forced again to go OL early...which is OK, but if we end up have to address RB too we will have to go O with 2 of the first 4 picks. All for BPA, but DT, DE, S are pretty glaring needs...not to mention LB and CB if we let Carr go. It will be interesting.

Top Bottom