2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
George O'Leary talked about it at his post-NSD presser and said he was told it's expected to pass easily and to expect it this year. I think it's great all around. Lots of pressure will be on the middle tier kids to sign or possibly lose their spots down the road, which sucks, but at least it protects them if they made their mind up.
My concern is the effort that recruiting will take during the season. I assume everyone will adjust though. Some schools have large, high paid staff to take care of a ton of recruiting items.

D

Deuce

My concern is the effort that recruiting will take during the season. I assume everyone will adjust though. Some schools have large, high paid staff to take care of a ton of recruiting items.
I think that will remain the same. If anything, recruiting budgets can shrink because if you have 10 kids sign in December, you no longer have to keep visting them and showing them love because you're afraid another school will swoop in last minute.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think that will remain the same. If anything, recruiting budgets can shrink because if you have 10 kids sign in December, you no longer have to keep visting them and showing them love because you're afraid another school will swoop in last minute.
What I'm saying is that some school have the luxury of allocating more resources to recruiting while others have to use coaches more during the season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
George O'Leary talked about it at his post-NSD presser and said he was told it's expected to pass easily and to expect it this year. I think it's great all around. Lots of pressure will be on the middle tier kids to sign or possibly lose their spots down the road, which sucks, but at least it protects them if they made their mind up.
would it protect them?

“Why is the (LOI) the worst contract in American sports? It requires players to sign away their right to be recruited by other schools. If they don’t enroll at the school with which they signed, they forfeit a year of eligibility. Not a redshirt year, but one of their four years to play. In return, the (LOI) guarantees the player nothing.

“Sure, the (LOI) claims to guarantee a scholarship, but that simply isn’t true. That is contingent on the player being admitted to the school and on the football program staying below the 85-scholarship limit. A school can dump the player at any point between Signing Day and preseason camp, and he would have no recourse. This guarantee is no different than the one on a conference-approved financial aid form, but it costs the player something the financial aid agreement does not.”

D

Deuce

would it protect them?
Well, protect them as well as it can given the current system. The next change the NCAA needs to make is making scholarships gaurenteed. That'll prevent the rest of the wrong doing to the player and hold schools who oversign accountable.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well, protect them as well as it can given the current system. The next change the NCAA needs to make is making scholarships gaurenteed. That'll prevent the rest of the wrong doing to the player and hold schools who oversign accountable.
Some schools are already doing that. I say let the conferences chose so they compete accordingly.

D

Deuce

Some schools are already doing that. I say let the conferences chose so they compete accordingly.
I don't think that would work. If the Big 12 says to stick to your 25 kids a year and 85 total because they will gaurentee the spots but the SEC doesn't, they will continue to let their schools go crazy on signing day and that puts you at a big disadvantage.

dallen

Senior Tech
That's all they have to do and I think most people are surprised when they find out they aren't. As long as the athletes are tied to the schools, the schools need to be tied to the athletes. You could have some form of IR so that injured players don't count against the 85. But as long the kids are staying out of trouble and going to class they ought to keep their scholarship

D

Deuce

That's all they have to do and I think most people are surprised when they find out they aren't. As long as the athletes are tied to the schools, the schools need to be tied to the athletes. You could have some form of IR so that injured players don't count against the 85. But as long the kids are staying out of trouble and going to class they ought to keep their scholarship
Yes. Just cause a player turns out to not be good enough doesn't mean they should be treated like garbage. Let them at least get their degree. Now if the player and school agree its best to part ways, then set up an easy system for that too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't think that would work. If the Big 12 says to stick to your 25 kids a year and 85 total because they will gaurentee the spots but the SEC doesn't, they will continue to let their schools go crazy on signing day and that puts you at a big disadvantage.
I'm not following you here. I am not talking about roster limit changes.

The Big 10 is the first conference to guarantee scholarships. That seems to be working fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Montgomery is bailing on the Sooners for an NFL team...what team though? Anyone know?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Montgomery is bailing on the Sooners for an NFL team...what team though? Anyone know?
It's being rumored it's the Packers.

Cotton

Staff member
Seen it a few places now. It's definitely seeming like the Packers report is accurate.

D

Deuce

I'm not following you here. I am not talking about roster limit changes.

The Big 10 is the first conference to guarantee scholarships. That seems to be working fine.
It works out fine for tOSU and we assume it'll be ok for Michigan, but only cause they have Harbaugh. But outside of them, those teams are getting out recruited regularly. If the SEC doesn't start to limit their teams, they will continue to over sign and that's an advantage.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It works out fine for tOSU and we assume it'll be ok for Michigan, but only cause they have Harbaugh. But outside of them, those teams are getting out recruited regularly. If the SEC doesn't start to limit their teams, they will continue to over sign and that's an advantage.
I'd like to see what happens when a conference that the SEC goes head to head with in recruiting, like the Big 12 and the ACC guarantees scholarships.

Oversigning may be an advantage on one end, but on the other, why would any kid take a non guaranteed scholly to ANY school over a guaranteed one? I'd go to a shithole like... is there anywhere worse than Texas Tech right now that I could use as an example? Iowa State? Yeah, I'd go to Iowa State over Bama if the Cyclones were going to give me a no-shit free ride 4 year deal and the Tide were planning to maybe screw me over and ask me to grayshirt a year or go to Jr College.

D

Deuce

I'd like to see what happens when a conference that the SEC goes head to head with in recruiting, like the Big 12 and the ACC guarantees scholarships.

Oversigning may be an advantage on one end, but on the other, why would any kid take a non guaranteed scholly to ANY school over a guaranteed one? I'd go to a shithole like... is there anywhere worse than Texas Tech right now that I could use as an example? Iowa State? Yeah, I'd go to Iowa State over Bama if the Cyclones were going to give me a no-shit free ride 4 year deal and the Tide were planning to maybe screw me over and ask me to grayshirt a year or go to Jr College.
The SEC's power over kids, especially in the South, is amazing. UCF has gaurenteed scholarships for kids since GOL took over as we still lost a QB to Auburn when they offered him on signing day 3 years ago. He knew it would take some huge breaks to get his chance there and nothing was gaurenteed and I don't think he's on the roster anymore. But he was raised in Alabama and all he knew was War Eagle and Roll Tide. The draw is just too great, even for the average talent.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The SEC's power over kids, especially in the South, is amazing. UCF has gaurenteed scholarships for kids since GOL took over as we still lost a QB to Auburn when they offered him on signing day 3 years ago. He knew it would take some huge breaks to get his chance there and nothing was gaurenteed and I don't think he's on the roster anymore. But he was raised in Alabama and all he knew was War Eagle and Roll Tide. The draw is just too great, even for the average talent.
I guess it's the same kind of mindless "follow your dreams" stupidity that makes non-athletes want to have six figures in student loan debt for the rest of their lives.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I guess it's the same kind of mindless "follow your dreams" stupidity that makes non-athletes want to have six figures in student loan debt for the rest of their lives.
You have no idea. Coaching at the lower ranks of high school I can tell you that parents and kids do really weird things when it comes to this stuff. I've seen kids chose an expensive private school that give some sort of tiny partial scholarship vs. playing at reasonably prices D3 school that is miles cheaper that doesn't offer scholarships. I think it is pride or something. People want to say they had a scholarship even though in reality it is only 5k per year at an expensive private school.

Cotton

Staff member
Too many crab legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom