2016 NFL Draft Early Entries

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've watched every ND game since he has been there and trust me, he's had his more than his share of drops and they were generally on balls away from his body. Just about any ND fan and even Scott Wright from NFL Draft Countdown cite his hands as an area in need of improvement. On top of that, he is undersized for an NFL WR. He is an elite deep threat but he's undersized for an outside receiver and his body probably couldn't take the pounding of an NFL slot receiver.

Don't get me wrong, he is/was an electrifying college receiver but we all know that doesn't always pan out at the next level. I can tell you he is not a #1 type NFL receiver and am skeptical that he would be a competent #2 guy. His numbers might make him an elite type of receiver but it's the intangibles that I personally believe knock him out of the top two rounds. Unless the Raiders take a shot at him. ;)
Observations

Fuller isn’t the biggest receiver. His body type (6-0, 180) sort of reminds me of a young Robert Woods at USC. He’s not going to blow anyone away with his physical stature, but he brings plenty to the table to cover that up. Still, I would like to see him bulk up to at least 190 to hold up at the NFL level.
One thing that you notice about Fuller right away is that he racks up YAC, making plays in the short screen game and short-intermediate passing game. He has great vision with the ball in his hands.
Fuller has excellent deep speed, and quickness in and out of his breaks. He isn’t a fully polished route runner by any means, but he runs pretty good routes and gets needed separation.
Good ‘hands’ catcher. Doesn’t let the ball into his body all that often and snatches the ball out of the air.
Does a good job making plays in the red zone with great field awareness to know when and where to get his feet down, as well as the ability to climb the ladder and win one-on-one jump ball situations.
Overall

I’m really excited to see how much Fuller can improve from his sophomore to junior season. His body type is not too dissimilar to Robert Woods at USC, and I think he has a lot of similar traits as a possession receiver who can also excel in the red zone, out of the slot, and after the catch. His size is something that NFL scouts are going to want to continue to evolve as he grows into his game, and perhaps the biggest obstacle he faces right now is adjusting to not having Everett Golson as the quarterback and moving to Malik Zaire, who is more of a running QB himself.

-----------------------------------

By the way, Scott Wright is a joke.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Observations

Fuller isn’t the biggest receiver. His body type (6-0, 180) sort of reminds me of a young Robert Woods at USC. He’s not going to blow anyone away with his physical stature, but he brings plenty to the table to cover that up. Still, I would like to see him bulk up to at least 190 to hold up at the NFL level.
One thing that you notice about Fuller right away is that he racks up YAC, making plays in the short screen game and short-intermediate passing game. He has great vision with the ball in his hands.
Fuller has excellent deep speed, and quickness in and out of his breaks. He isn’t a fully polished route runner by any means, but he runs pretty good routes and gets needed separation.
Good ‘hands’ catcher. Doesn’t let the ball into his body all that often and snatches the ball out of the air.
Does a good job making plays in the red zone with great field awareness to know when and where to get his feet down, as well as the ability to climb the ladder and win one-on-one jump ball situations.
Overall

I’m really excited to see how much Fuller can improve from his sophomore to junior season. His body type is not too dissimilar to Robert Woods at USC, and I think he has a lot of similar traits as a possession receiver who can also excel in the red zone, out of the slot, and after the catch. His size is something that NFL scouts are going to want to continue to evolve as he grows into his game, and perhaps the biggest obstacle he faces right now is adjusting to not having Everett Golson as the quarterback and moving to Malik Zaire, who is more of a running QB himself.

-----------------------------------

By the way, Scott Wright is a joke.
As far as Scott Wright goes, who is this? Mel Kiper? Some other "sports pundit"? Also, since it talked about being excited to see how he progressed from his sophomore to junior seasons, this was obviously written before this past season, so this person isn't going off that. He had drop issues, almost any ND fan that isn't a blue and gold glasses wearing homer knows that. He did not excel in the red zone(The offense as a whole didn't) and he didn't work out of the slot frequently. He was, however, excellent after the catch. I guess 1/4 ain't bad.

Hey, I'm just going by what I've seen in the last 39 ND games. When Quinn came out, I knew he would be a bust. Same with Maurice Stovall. When Smith went to the Vikings, I was pissed that we didn't draft him. Cierre Wood was talented but limited. I didn't think Theo Riddick would ever be anything but a third down back and he's been a dang fine one. I would have liked to take a flyer on TJ Jones who doesn't have Fuller's deep speed but runs better routes and has better hands. I hated the Julius Jones pick. When Robert Blanton left, I knew he if he was going to stick in the NFL it would not be as a CB. He made it as a safety. I thought Te'o would be a fair to middling LB. I knew that for all his college hype, Golden Tate was still raw as a receiver and it would take awhile to really come into his own. Does that mean I'm never wrong? Nope. One of my biggest mistakes was underestimating John Sullivan, who has turned into a good center for the Vikes. I also never saw Ryan Grant coming out of nowhere to become a star in GB. He was a completely different player from college. I always try to project the performances I've seen to the next level objectively and that's all I'm doing. That's why I rarely chime in about players from other teams, because my personal perspective is limited.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying the kid is going to be a bust, I just don't think he's worth spending a first or second pick on. Ultimately, I believe he ends up as a #3, maybe #2 type of receiver. If I'm wrong, so be it and I'll be happy to admit it because I like seeing kids from "my" team do well. Either way, it's no skin off my ass. :shrug

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as Scott Wright goes, who is this? Mel Kiper? Some other "sports pundit"? Also, since it talked about being excited to see how he progressed from his sophomore to junior seasons, this was obviously written before this past season, so this person isn't going off that.
Correct, most of the reputable scouting sites don't have their final scouting reports out yet. But a player with good hands his sophomore year doesn't get bad hands his junior year.

Just to be clear. I am by no means a Notre Dame fan. I just was really impressed by this kid when I watched him. He was the one player on that Notre Dame offense that really stood out. What impressed me most when I watched him was that I expected him to play like a small reciever. So when I saw him winning jump balls and catching fades I was really surprised and impressed. This isn't Phillip Dorsett for example who looked uncomfortable catching a ball.

Route running is his biggest issue. He is raw at it because of the offense. He ran a lot of screens and bombs and not a ton of other stuff.

D

Deuce

Ohio St WR Michael Thomas
Miss St DT Chris Jones

Last edited by a moderator:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is a really deep CB class, and alot of them have the size we covet (6-0+), so I'm really hoping upon hope that we don't go DB at 4 and can scoop a guy in the 3rd or 4th.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kenny Lawler WR Cal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mississippi State DT Chris Jones.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ogbah is a guy who could be a sneaky decent pick at 4 if both QB's and Bosa go top 3 and we can't trade down. Has size, explosiveness, some versatility in terms of rushing inside or outside and has been very productive. Of course I'd rather get him at 10 after a trade down if that scenario happens but is he really a worse prospect than a guy like Hargreaves? Jack? Treadwell?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ogbah is a guy who could be a sneaky decent pick at 4 if both QB's and Bosa go top 3 and we can't trade down. Has size, explosiveness, some versatility in terms of rushing inside or outside and has been very productive. Of course I'd rather get him at 10 after a trade down if that scenario happens but is he really a worse prospect than a guy like Hargreaves? Jack? Treadwell?
Don't know much about the guy but instead of getting cute at that point why is drafting a true stud like Tunsil off the table?

I know about the resources used on the o-line but Tunsil would be a clear upgrade who is cost controlled for 4 years.

I understand how distasteful it seems but I don't understand the thought process of not even considering it.

I understand if a QB was there but after those 3 guys Tunsil is the only other great prospect in this draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know much about the guy but instead of getting cute at that point why is drafting a true stud like Tunsil off the table?

I know about the resources used on the o-line but Tunsil would be a clear upgrade who is cost controlled for 4 years.

I understand how distasteful it seems but I don't understand the thought process of not even considering it.

I understand if a QB was there but after those 3 guys Tunsil is the only other great prospect in this draft.
It's the law of diminishing returns. At some point pumping a great amount of resources into a position will produce less and less of an increase in overall productivity.

Not to mention I don't think he is a super stud OT prospect at this point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's the law of diminishing returns. At some point pumping a great amount of resources into a position will produce less and less of an increase in overall productivity.

Not to mention I don't think he is a super stud OT prospect at this point.
How can it be diminishing returns when you have to replace Free in the next year anyway?

Tunsil is as good of a prospect as any of the top guys from last and compared to everybody in this draft after Bosa and the QB's he is the top prospect.

I am not on the table for Tunsil but who makes you feel great in taking them over him in the scenario presented?

Call me crazy for wanting to go with the superior talent over taking a flyer on somebody else just because we have other highly drafted players there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tunsil would be the BPA by all accounts at that point and you'd have to seriously consider him but I still think I'd rather go elsewhere. My pick would probably be Treadwell or Jack, pending what they do at the combine, I'm basically saying that I think Ogbah is underrated at this point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Tunsil would be the BPA by all accounts at that point and you'd have to seriously consider him but I still think I'd rather go elsewhere. My pick would probably be Treadwell or Jack, pending what they do at the combine, I'm basically saying that I think Ogbah is underrated at this point.
I don't see Treadwell as ever being a great receiver, I could be talked into Jack because he has great upside.

I don't see Ogbah as beeing better than Lawrence or Gregory so I can't see using a 4th on a rotational DE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can it be diminishing returns when you have to replace Free in the next year anyway?

Tunsil is as good of a prospect as any of the top guys from last and compared to everybody in this draft after Bosa and the QB's he is the top prospect.

I am not on the table for Tunsil but who makes you feel great in taking them over him in the scenario presented?

Call me crazy for wanting to go with the superior talent over taking a flyer on somebody else just because we have other highly drafted players there.
Because having 5 first round offensive lineman is a tremendous waste of resources. Mean's large investment in the player (top 5 pick) with marginal improvement to the actual offensive line.

Also, Kiper for example has Ramsey and Buckner rated higher, so I don't think he is this consensus next best prospect. He isn't an elite prospect. I'd say the difference between him and the other prospects in that tier is negligible to the point where I'd rather get a position that will have a greater impact on the team. Certainly not worth the risk of getting the next Eric Fisher for example.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any opinion on the Alabama defensive tackles? Alabama has actually produced some good defensive line talent in the past. They are both in the top 15 of prospects according to Kiper. They both have similar builds in that 6'4" 315 lb range. Neither guy has sack numbers that will blow you away. But then again Marcell Dareus didn't really have sack numbers to blow you away in college either.

Just curious what people's thoughts on them are? The Golden Cock is a free agent and we have a desperate need for an impact DT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see Treadwell as ever being a great receiver, I could be talked into Jack because he has great upside.

I don't see Ogbah as beeing better than Lawrence or Gregory so I can't see using a 4th on a rotational DE.
Maybe, maybe not, if Treadwell runs a 4.4 I'll be pretty damn intrigued. His collegiate production is not that far off from Jones and Green despite his sophomore injury and he has similar size/ability.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Any opinion on the Alabama defensive tackles? Alabama has actually produced some good defensive line talent in the past. They are both in the top 15 of prospects according to Kiper. They both have similar builds in that 6'4" 315 lb range. Neither guy has sack numbers that will blow you away. But then again Marcell Dareus didn't really have sack numbers to blow you away in college either.

Just curious what people's thoughts on them are? The Golden Cock is a free agent and we have a desperate need for an impact DT.
They're both fantastic run-stuffers but I don't think Robinson or Reed are good enough pass rushers for us to consider in the top 15, neither of them is Dareus. Personally, I'd definitely take Robinson if we were around 10 or so but I just don't think we will. I don't think Reed is a top 15 prospect.

Allen is the best pass-rusher of the bunch but I think he's a late 1st/early 2nd type like Reed, he is also a DE/DT tweener at around 280 lbs.

Top Bottom