NBA Chatter Thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Anyone who cares about money would be interested in a team in LA or NY. Just the local endorsements you can get in those TV markets can be worth a shitload of extra cash. Plus, you get the extra media attention for playing in a media hub.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Anyone who cares about money would be interested in a team in LA or NY. Just the local endorsements you can get in those TV markets can be worth a shitload of extra cash. Plus, you get the extra media attention for playing in a media hub.
True, but does it offset the taxes and cost of living in both places? I'd look at Tex and Fla first if I was a FA.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think this is the old way of looking at things.

In today's day and age if you're s superstar player it doesn't matter what market you play in, you're going to get plenty of exposure.

Look at Lebron. That guy is a megastar playing in Cleveland. Even before he won the titles in Miami, he was known worldwide.

If you're great it doesn't matter where you play.

Now I will admit that if you're just a typical player or a low level star it does benefit you to play in larger markets to maximize your exposure. For instance, a player like Memphis' Mike Conley would be considered a star if he played for the Lakers or Knicks. But since he's in Memphis only people who follow basketball religiously know of him.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really think Durant is going to try to go to the Wizards...they are an attractive team now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
True, but does it offset the taxes and cost of living in both places? I'd look at Tex and Fla first if I was a FA.
I think the endorsement money can, if you're a guy like Durant. Combined NYS/NYC taxes are ~ 12% at his rate. Now, if you're a middle tier FA or even a max deal guy like Aldridge who isn't a massive superstar, that would be a lot harder to make up. Dallas, Houston, SA, Miami, look a lot better in that case.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think this is the old way of looking at things.

In today's day and age if you're s superstar player it doesn't matter what market you play in, you're going to get plenty of exposure.

Look at Lebron. That guy is a megastar playing in Cleveland. Even before he won the titles in Miami, he was known worldwide.

If you're great it doesn't matter where you play.

Now I will admit that if you're just a typical player or a low level star it does benefit you to play in larger markets to maximize your exposure. For instance, a player like Memphis' Mike Conley would be considered a star if he played for the Lakers or Knicks. But since he's in Memphis only people who follow basketball religiously know of him.
I think Durant could be a Kobe/LeBron level icon in the sport if he was on a bigger market team. James was a celebrity and a household name before he even entered the league, so he probably doesn't need a team to get him onto the big stage.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What the hell is up with Rose?

I watched the last 3 minutes and overtime and he took at least five 3 point shots and the game winner was a terrible shot as well that was lucky to go in.

Was he trying to prove a point to Curry?

I think Chicago has the deepest roster but that chemistry is definitely lacking this year and if Rose continues to chuck like that they will not go far at all.
He had actually been shooting very well for a few weeks up until the last 2 or 3 games, so I don't really know. I think he's hesitant to drive into the paint on a consistent basis in halfcourt sets in order to avoid the wear and tear, I also think he's consciously not doing as much hard cutting/starting and stopping like he used to do, he either goes full bore or he doesn't, there isn't alot of in between, which is part of what made him great. I also don't think he's seeing the court particularly well and for whatever reason his handle has been terrible, which I don't really understand. I also think his mentality is that he doesn't care how much he's missed, he believes that for the team to win he has to be aggressive, so he keeps shooting.

To be fair the paint has been really packed because we lack shooting as per usual and I think he's still feeling himself out and finding what he's comfortable with. His general carelessness with the ball is what really bothers me though, it seems like he makes his mind up ahead of time in terms of what he's going to do and then does it come hell or high water. I also think he legitimately doesn't care as much about the regular season anymore, I have no real basis for this but his demeanor/body language seems that way to me, and it's a big mistake if he thinks he and the team can just elevate their games once the playoffs start.

We'll see though, he's shown flashes of his old self but is very inconsistent, which isn't all that surprising.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He had actually been shooting very well for a few weeks up until the last 2 or 3 games, so I don't really know. I think he's hesitant to drive into the paint on a consistent basis in halfcourt sets in order to avoid the wear and tear, I also think he's consciously not doing as much hard cutting/starting and stopping like he used to do, he either goes full bore or he doesn't, there isn't alot of in between, which is part of what made him great. I also don't think he's seeing the court particularly well and for whatever reason his handle has been terrible, which I don't really understand. I also think his mentality is that he doesn't care how much he's missed, he believes that for the team to win he has to be aggressive, so he keeps shooting.

To be fair the paint has been really packed because we lack shooting as per usual and I think he's still feeling himself out and finding what he's comfortable with. His general carelessness with the ball is what really bothers me though, it seems like he makes his mind up ahead of time in terms of what he's going to do and then does it come hell or high water. I also think he legitimately doesn't care as much about the regular season anymore, I have no real basis for this but his demeanor/body language seems that way to me, and it's a big mistake if he thinks he and the team can just elevate their games once the playoffs start.

We'll see though, he's shown flashes of his old self but is very inconsistent, which isn't all that surprising.
If this is the case the Bulls are in trouble to many new and good players on that team for him to feel that way and it will cause friction heading into the playoffs.

26 shots again last night, he is turning into a chucker 10 of those shots should be going to Gasol and Butler.

D

Deuce

Magic finally fired Jacques Vaughn today. I was unimpressed with the choice when he was hired and he had to know it was going to be a bumpy road when they were talking about trading Dwight right away, but I've never seen a coach get less to work with in a 3 year span that he had. The GM keeps talking about being one year away from being ready to spend all their cap space, so why not take a guy that you gave complete crap to use a chance to win once you get him players? Doesn't make sense to me.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think this whole Chris Paul thing is completely overblown.

So are female refs above criticism now just because they're women? If that's they case they need to only officiate WNBA games.

Players have frequently questioned and taken shots at refs over the years, so why should she be exempt from criticism?

Joey Crawford has had much worse said about him. Where's the uproar defending Crawford's honor and integrity?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Great game between OKC and New Orleans.

Westbrook was clutch.

Durant hit some clutch 3s late in the 4th.

But The Brow outdid them with that double-clutch 3 pointer at the buzzer.

That SOB has only made 3 three pointers in his entire career but of course he sticks that one. Nothing but net as time expired.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hornets To Acquire Mo Williams

February 10 at 11:50am CST By Chuck Myron

The Hornets and Wolves have reached agreement on a deal that would send Mo Williams and Troy Daniels to Charlotte and Gary Neal plus a second-round pick to Minnesota, league sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link). Shams Charania of RealGM originally reported the deal was close (Twitter link). The move represents Charlotte’s effort to make the playoffs and avoid having Lance Stephenson play point guard in the absence of the injured Kemba Walker, Wojnarowski tweets.

1bigfan13

Staff member
[MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION] weren't you a big Mitch McGary fan?

He's finally healthy and posted back to back double-doubles for the Thunder.

On Sunday he went for 19 and 10 against the Clippers. And last night went for 17 and 10 against the Nuggets.

He came off the bench in both contests.

Prior to Sunday he only played something like 3 minutes in the NBA. The rest of the time he's either been rehabbing or in the D-League.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION] weren't you a big Mitch McGary fan?

He's finally healthy and posted back to back double-doubles for the Thunder.

On Sunday he went for 19 and 10 against the Clippers. And last night went for 17 and 10 against the Nuggets.

He came off bench both contests

Prior to Sunday he only played something like 3 minutes in the NBA. The rest of time he's either been rehabbing or in the D-League.
Big time. It looks like the time off helped him. He looks strong and athletic. He can be a real valuable piece in the playoffs. They'll have plenty of big bodies to throw around at people, but in his case he has a little offensive skill.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Harden is just killing it these days after Lebron and Durant I have a hard time taking anybody else over him, his game is just so complete now.

Last 5 games Harden has averaged 34.2ppg 6.8rpg 7.0apg 1.8spg 0.8bpg

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like Harden quite a bit, but I'd take Curry, Davis, and Westbrook over Harden.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kings, George Karl Agree To Deal

February 12 at 8:15am CST By Chuck Myron

THURSDAY, 8:15am: The sides have finally reached agreement on a four-year, $14.5MM deal, sources tell Wojnarowski, who writes in a full story. Karl will make his debut when the Kings return from the All-Star break on February 20th, and he’ll receive $1.25MM for the rest of this season, according to Wojnarowski. The contract calls for him to make $3.25MM in 2015/16 and $5MM in each of the final two seasons, with the last year of the deal partially guaranteed for $1.5MM, Wojnarowski hears. Corbin, who coached the team’s last game before the break Wednesday, plans on leaving the organization and will not be a member of Karl’s staff, Wojnarowski hears

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The way Rose played last night was straight out of his MVP season, perhaps even better in terms of probing the defense and finding teammates for open shots. He's starting to heat up and knock the rust off to the point where his Per 36 numbers are getting close to what he put up before the injury, aside from his assists still being down and turnovers being slightly up, although both have been trending in the right direction lately.

I have my doubts as to what the Bulls as a team can do in the playoffs because their energy level and chemistry is very off, and I think the offensive reliance on Gasol really hurts them defensively, but Rose is definitely starting to come around.

Top Bottom