Archer: Cowboys have to 'put socks back on' all over again

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What your options are for the position if Murray or Peterson are not on the roster next year. Specific players.
I just said the draft and i also said i havent studied the RBs that much yet.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cobb is my favorite so far assuming he falls to our second rounder.
Cobb is rising, but I don't think he is a 2nd rounder...prior to the Senior Bowl I saw him projected more in the 4-6 range. I like Jeremy Langford too.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Cobb is rising, but I don't think he is a 2nd rounder...prior to the Senior Bowl I saw him projected more in the 4-6 range. I like Jeremy Langford too.
Our second rounder is so low you're probably looking at players in the high 3rd range talent wise unless someone drops.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Our second rounder is so low you're probably looking at players in the high 3rd range talent wise unless someone drops.
Not that it is the gospel, but NFL Draftscout has him at 102 on their prospect list.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What about FAs?
Its a possibility but it is also a more expensive option. If I couldn't retain Murray and Petersen wasn't available then i would go to the draft first. Reason being is at that point FA is still going to be expensive for quality so I would rather take a flyer on a young talent who is less expensive.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I would be very surprised if he is gone before our second rounder. My only concern with Cobb is he isn't as fast as I'd like.
I've never been as big on pure speed as vision and shiftyness in RBs. From what I can see in youtube videos, he's that short shifty kind of runner I like.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
While it won't be cheap for either Murray or Peterson, Peterson is far more likely to sign an incentive-laden contract than Murray is.

Peterson is coming off of a scandal and he's in his 30's. He really wants to be a Cowboys and this team is in position to make a run. He has a lot of confidence in himself, I'm sure, so if the Cowboys were to offer him a 3 or 4 mill a year deal that escalates to 5 or 6 million based on hitting 1,500 yards, 15 TD's, etc, my guess is Peterson would sign it because he understands the situation he's in plus he's going to feel like he can hit those numbers easily.

Murray on the other hand is only 26 and is the OPOY. There's no reason for him to sign a deal like that when a team is going to throw a good deal at him.

It's possible someone does the same for AP, but I'm guessing Peterson is not going to break the bank anywhere this upcoming season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the most likely scenario is our contract talks with Dez run into the deadline, we're forced to use the tag, and Murray gets some team like Oak or Jax coming after him with a deal for 8-9 million a year and he can't pass it up.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh yeah, that Jerry is always prepared for everything. He's never telegraphed anything and then been left holding the bag and panicking thereafter. Nope.
There are backroom discussions all of the time regarding if a player is interested in a team.

Jerry will have an idea of how things will play out going into F.A. and the draft, Yes this is all speculation but don't act like none of this is feasible.

It does not take great leaps in logic to see Peterson as a Cowboy, with his cap hit and that team being noncontenders its easy to see him being released no matter what Zimmer said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There are backroom discussions all of the time regarding if a player is interested in a team.

Jerry will have an idea of how things will play out going into F.A. and the draft, Yes this is all speculation but don't act like none of this is feasible.

It does not take great leaps in logic to see Peterson as a Cowboy, with his cap hit and that team being noncontenders its easy to see him being released no matter what Zimmer said.
It also takes great leaps of faith that yeah, Jerry has got this, they know exactly what is going to transpire and the timing is perfect.

So Minny is just going to cut him just in time so Jerry can swoop in with contract in hand two weeks before the draft and Peterson has no desire to play anywhere, for any amount, except for Dallas.

Pretty naïve.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It also takes great leaps of faith that yeah, Jerry has got this, they know exactly what is going to transpire and the timing is perfect.

So Minny is just going to cut him just in time so Jerry can swoop in with contract in hand two weeks before the draft and Peterson has no desire to play anywhere, for any amount, except for Dallas.

Pretty naïve.
Nobody has said any of that on this board so I don't know where that is coming from.

Everything that has been said about Peterson has been with the caveat "if he is available" and it's logical to think this can happen.

It's also pretty naive to think there have zero back room discussions especially considering how Peterson went out of his way to say how much he wants to be a Cowboy.

You act like people are creating this out of thin air when there has been plenty of things to give this idea some merit.

Do you really think Minny wants Peterson back at 12 mill next year?

I readily admit its there are a lot of variables here the biggest being how much will Peterson want in a new contract, but its not a fantasy to see him as a Cowboy next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nobody has said any of that on this board so I don't know where that is coming from.

Everything that has been said about Peterson has been with the caveat "if he is available" and it's logical to think this can happen.
Don't give me that "caveat" business. There are plenty of things that "could" happen, if someone was "available".

How logical is it when A) he's still under contract to the Vikings B) he won't be reinstated until mid-April, at the soonest and C) he has to come at a more reasonable price than Murray will?

Murray has been dropping all kinds of hints money isn't important, that he loves Dallas, his teammates want him back, yet this is a more feasible option when the conditions aren't even close to being reality yet?

Hey, go ahead and wish for Suh as well. That makes just as much sense.

It's also pretty naive to think there have zero back room discussions especially considering how Peterson went out of his way to say how much he wants to be a Cowboy.
Antonio Cromartie recently mentioned he wanted to be a Cowboy. Does that make that likely?

You act like people are creating this out of thin air when there has been plenty of things to give this idea some merit.
I know about the rumors too. Does not mean I start making plans and generating hope based on the fact he and Jerry had a phone call.

Do you really think Minny wants Peterson back at 12 mill next year?
They could afford it. And they have stated they want him back. That is a far stretch from assuming that they are just going to cut him to make him all ours.

I readily admit its there are a lot of variables here the biggest being how much will Peterson want in a new contract, but its not a fantasy to see him as a Cowboy next year.
It is a fantasy until the conditions present themselves.

All I know is if I were running this club, I would not be sitting there hoping I could get a beat up RB dodging a suspension, getting cut, then deciding he's going to be real cheap versus looking at options that will exist well before that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Don't give me that "caveat" business. There are plenty of things that "could" happen, if someone was "available".

How logical is it when A) he's still under contract to the Vikings B) he won't be reinstated until mid-April, at the soonest and C) he has to come at a more reasonable price than Murray will?

Murray has been dropping all kinds of hints money isn't important, that he loves Dallas, his teammates want him back, yet this is a more feasible option when the conditions aren't even close to being reality yet?

Hey, go ahead and wish for Suh as well. That makes just as much sense.

Antonio Cromartie recently mentioned he wanted to be a Cowboy. Does that make that likely?

I know about the rumors too. Does not mean I start making plans and generating hope based on the fact he and Jerry had a phone call.

They could afford it. And they have stated they want him back. That is a far stretch from assuming that they are just going to cut him to make him all ours.

It is a fantasy until the conditions present themselves.

All I know is if I were running this club, I would not be sitting there hoping I could get a beat up RB dodging a suspension, getting cut, then deciding he's going to be real cheap versus looking at options that will exist well before that.
Uh this is a fan site and fans are speculating what is the harm in that?

You act like this has an actual bearing on what the FO is thinking or will actually do, I am sure all options are being weighed and Peterson id one of them.

I really don't know what your issue is, why are you so offended that some people think its a possibility Peterson could be signed?

And since when is Peterson beat up?

I get it you do not like this idea but that's your opinion everybody else has right to theirs, I for onr think Peterson would be an upgrade, but I have no issue if Murray comes back on a reasonable deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Uh this is a fan site and fans are speculating what is the harm in that?

You act like this has an actual bearing on what the FO is thinking or will actually do, I am sure all options are being weighed and Peterson id one of them.

I really don't know what your issue is, why are you so offended that some people think its a possibility Peterson could be signed?

And since when is Peterson beat up?

I get it you do not like this idea but that's your opinion everybody else has right to theirs, I for onr think Peterson would be an upgrade, but I have no issue if Murray comes back on a reasonable deal.
:lol

So that's all you got?

I am censoring opinion? Yep, that's what's happening here.

You can wish upon a star all you want, sorry if I say it is not exactly logical.

kidd

DCC 4Life
All I'm saying is if it comes down to giving a contract to Dez or Murray, I give it to Dez without even thinking about it.

By the looks of it, it looks to me like it's coming down to this scenario.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

So that's all you got?

I am censoring opinion? Yep, that's what's happening here.

You can wish upon a star all you want, sorry if I say it is not exactly logical.
That's all I need you were the one coming in here telling everybody how they should think.

And its funny that's its so illogical just because you say so, several people have outlined logical premises.

Top Bottom