PFT: Photos of Greg Hardy domestic assualt victim emerge

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The hard thing about your example is that a convicted pedo is in prison. An innocent (Legally speaking) Hardy isn't going to be in jail. By the way, I can promise you that the person serving you food at the restaurant has been accused of domestic violence or working on your car or building your road or selling your groceries. These cases are far more common then most people realize and a lot of them don't end in convictions for the reasons I have stated before.

I don't care about the media. Although I do find it hilarious when I compare the way the media treats Hardy with the way the media treated AP.
I agree about your AP example. All I'm trying to say is that we should have seen this coming. Anything the cowboys do is going to be sensationalized.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree about your AP example. All I'm trying to say is that we should have seen this coming. Anything the cowboys do is going to be sensationalized.
Oh yeah, I'm not surprised but I also think the articles are stupid. I mean calling for Jerry to cut the guy because of pictures coming out about something from 2 years ago. I mean it's just sensationalism by the media.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Hardy played baseball he would have missed 192 games over this. Let that sink in.
If baseball players played football they would only have 16 games. Let that sink in.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Emotion And Clicks – Not Journalism – Ruling Hardy Coverage

Emotion And Clicks – Not Journalism – Ruling Hardy Coverage

By Jason Whitlock

Great journalism, among other things, is measured, fair, nuanced and loaded with context. Great journalism is not sensational.

Journalists are curious and suspicious. Like defense attorneys, journalists are oftentimes put in position where they have to explain what seems indefensible. Curiosity and suspicion caused me to look at the Duke lacrosse players (rape) and Bernie Fine (child molestation) different from some of my peers.

We’re at that point again with Greg Hardy (domestic violence). His actions a year ago are indefensible. I will not defend them.

What I will do is try to provide the necessary context so you can understand the actions of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the NFL and the NFLPA.

Much of the alleged journalism we’re seeing in regards to Hardy is sloppy and unprofessional.

Our criminal justice system convicted Hardy of misdemeanor domestic assault charges last year, sentencing him to probation and a 60-day suspended sentence. By later having his appeal dropped and his record expunged, Hardy did not buy his way out of prison, as some have stated and/or suggested.

Becky Thorne Tin, a white North Carolina judge far more experienced at litigating domestic violence issues than members of the media, chose not to send Hardy to prison. Tin, Mecklenburg County district attorney Andrew Murray (white) and assistant district attorney Jamie Adams (black female) saw pictures of the victim’s and Hardy’s injuries, reviewed the pertinent statements and testimony and deemed the crime a misdemeanor.

Why?

Did a white woman, a white man and a black woman with deep knowledge of our criminal justice system scheme to let a hulking black man escape prison for beating “the hell” out of a white woman?

This seems unlikely inside Judge Tin’s courtroom. A magna cum laude graduate of Harvard, Judge Tin is the co-chair of her alma mater’s battered women’s advocacy project. In 2007, Judge Tin was involved in a controversial case related to domestic violence that left her, by her own admission, “traumatized.” Over the objections of 32-year-old Sonia Long, Judge Tin issued a less-restrictive restraining order against Long’s estranged husband, Anthony Long. One week later, Anthony Long murdered his wife.

Domestic violence is an issue Judge Tin likely takes more seriously than the sports writers pontificating about what Jerry Jones and the Cowboys should do with Greg Hardy.

So why did the system that specializes in handling these issues go far easier on Hardy than Roger Goodell and the NFL?

Probably because our criminal justice system deals with thousands of domestic issues annually, has a more mature perspective and doesn’t – at the moment – have to answer to the outrage media.

Hardy and his victim, Nicole Holder, did not live together at the time of the incident. Both parties reportedly drank to great excess. Holder admitted using cocaine on the night of the altercation. She also conceded hitting and/or attacking Hardy and his assistant, Sammy Curtis. She attributed the injuries on her arms to Curtis, whom she claimed forcibly carried/removed her from the tiny bedroom/office where the main incident took place. Hardy, not Holder, called police.

Reading the police reports and interviews paints a muddy picture of a highly dysfunctional relationship soaked – for at least one night – in alcohol, cocaine and mistrust. It inevitably erupted into a flurry of drunken violence that left Holder bruised and Hardy cut. A story published in the Charlotte Observer in February offered an explanation why the district attorney dropped the case rather than fight Hardy’s appeal. Holder’s lack of cooperation is far from the lone reason.

“Victims and witnesses routinely stop cooperating in domestic-abuse cases and prosecutors still take the cases to court. Murray, though, said the Hardy case was different. He also appeared to raise doubts about Holder’s credibility in a statement to the judge. But other details also raised unanswered questions about prosecutors’ handling of the case. Hardy’s defense team announced an appeal of his conviction before leaving court in July. But Murray said prosecutors only “recently” had compared what Holder told police the night of the alleged assault with her testimony at Hardy’s first trial.”

Greg Hardy has been described as a “monster” in one of this country’s most influential publications. He’s been labeled “human garbage” on TV. There are countless calls to have him removed from the NFL. Again, I’m not here to defend Hardy. His actions a year ago are unworthy of defense.

But I have also taken indefensible, violent actions in my lifetime. As a 22-year-old at Ball State University, drunk and jealous, I beat up a male student half my size inside a popular bar because I was bothered by the way he danced with a girl I liked. The next day the girl called me irate and demanding that I pay for the boy’s bloodied and torn shirt. I was mortified. I apologized profusely. I made restitution. More important, I committed to a life of non-violence. I evolved.

America is the land of second and third chances. Greg Hardy shouldn’t be allowed to play in the NFL because our courts convicted and then vacated a misdemeanor assault conviction?

Is great journalism reading through documents, cherry-picking damning information and framing those facts in the most sensational fashion? Where’s the context? Where’s the fairness? Where’s the journalistic consistency? Just five months ago, the writer responsible for this Hardy “investigation” wrote a piece exploring soccer goalie Hope Solo’s violent, criminal behavior. (Prosecutors have pursued the case without cooperation from Solo’s victims.) The article is titled “Hope Solo Is Not A Problem.” It makes the point that the NFL, the U.S. Women’s National Team and other entertainment executives are “unqualified to play judge and jury” on these issues. The writer ends the piece with these words:

“But don’t get mad over Solo playing. Sports fans long ago learned to accept our male heroes as anything but heroic. It’s time to let our women be the same.”

Are we in the media and blogosphere qualified to play judge and jury? At the moment, we’re struggling to play journalists.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whitlock is 100% correct.

As an aside, the over the top outrage in the media concerning domestic violence is really entertaining to me, mainly because I think it's completely fake and just following the lead of the ultra-PC culture that we live in these days.

Obviously beating the shit out of a woman, or anybody that isn't in self defense, is a heinous act, that much is obvious. What amuses me is the fact that NFL players have been getting in this type of trouble since the league came into existence, where were all these people who are in an uproar over Hardy, throwing out excessive, over the top characterizations like "human garbage" then?

Did these people not know what domestic violence meant 10 or 20 years ago? They've all of a sudden realized what domestic violence actually is?

Or did nobody give a fuck because it was easy to ignore when it was just a quick 30 second spot on Sportscenter or a blurb on the crawl of their screen that vaguely mentioned "domestic violence"?

Hell, Hardy played in the first game last year and nobody said dick about it until the video of Rice came out.

I don't have any problem with the league trying to do everything it can to stop something that is obviously a problem in our society and around the world. My problem is this faux, over the top outrage over something people more or less overlooked for years, at least when it comes to professional athletes, especially when these people demand extreme measures and speak as if they are coming from some kind of moral high ground when no more than 18 months ago nobody gave one single fuck about what Hardy or Rice did.

data

Forbes #1
Raperhisburger's woman should come out with photos.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When you reach some kind of out of court financial settlement there should be some kind of privacy guaranteed. I understand that Deadspin published the pics, but how do they even get them to begin with?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That was pretty damn good by Whitlock.

Too bad you would never see something like that on a national stage.

You will just get a stern lecture from Bob Costas at halftime tonight and like it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wendi Nix sounds like she wants the Cowboys blackballed and outright just said Jerry Jones support domestic violence. Wow. They let her go off.

data

Forbes #1
The Star should be banned before the Redskin because it now represents support for domestic violence.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My god, they are still going at it on Twitter over Hardy.

Just STFU about it already. It's none of your fucking business if he gets cut or not.

Stephen A Smith has been one of the worse. But, par for the course for that moron.

data

Forbes #1

Just STFU about it already. It's none of your fucking business if he gets cut or not.

Stephen A Smith has been one of the worse. But, par for the course for that moron.
I say 'let it burn'. I'd love to see where it goes.

data

Forbes #1
A victory for the Eagles is a victory for justice and women's rights.

data

Forbes #1
With so much more hatred towards the Cowboys right now, Id love to win the super bowl even more...pipe dreams.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Why does the media and general public feel like they are obligated remorse and an apology from Hardy...and knowledge of just what the Cowboys are doing in private.

BTW...this is probably the last thing Nicole Holder wants right now. She has had time to get past this, now her image is being used to push the agenda. She is afforded privacy as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why does the media and general public feel like they are obligated remorse and an apology from Hardy...and knowledge of just what the Cowboys are doing in private.

BTW...this is probably the last thing Nicole Holder wants right now. She has had time to get past this, now her image is being used to push the agenda. She is afforded privacy as well.
Extremists always have a louder and self righteous outcry.

townsend

Banned
Good point, there's nothing like some cheap blogging site making a million bucks by releasing photos of
one of the worst nights of your life.

kidd

DCC 4Life

I really hope Dallas just trounces the shat outta that POS team of his so he has to put up with Skip Bayless' incessant gloating in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I hate them both but Screaming A gets on my nerves more these days because he is so blatantly biased against Dallas due to his Philly ties.

Top Bottom